PDA

View Full Version : Advice on filters (for BW) and color film for fall colors?

timbo
11-Oct-2012, 19:06
Hi everyone,

I'm heading out to yosemite in a couple weekends and going to be getting some great fall colors. I'm relatively new to black and white photography and am looking for advice on contrast filters that would be best to highlight the fall colors. I was thinking that an orange filter would be great to bring out the trees and darken the sky, but I really have no actual experience as to whether or not that would work well, and I'm wondering if people think that would work or if there are other filters people recommend?

Also, I'm hoping to shoot some color film (4x5) which I've never done before (only BW). Seems that velvia 50 is highly recommended but hard to find these days, especially on short notice. Any other suggestions to highlight the fall colors and great scenery?

Thanks!!
Tim

Jody_S
11-Oct-2012, 19:13
I tried today with a green filter, the idea being to darken the leaves that have turned already. It also balances very nicely with the sky, where it has much the same effect as a orange filter. The film is hanging to dry now, but it looks pretty good.

Peter Gomena
11-Oct-2012, 19:54
If you use color film, remember that Yosemite is at a pretty good altitude. Bring some heavy warming filters along or risk capturing some very blue granite. As for b&w filters, the contrast there tends to be pretty extreme. I'd go light, #8 or #12 yellow. It also depends on how clear the skies, and how dark you want to make them, and how light you want to make fall foliage.

Peter Gomena

Brian Ellis
11-Oct-2012, 19:58
I think it's good practice to avoid using filters except where they serve a clear purpose and I don't know what that purpose would be with autumn colors unless you want the orange/reddish leaves to look white which is what an orange filter will do. It's kind of an infrared look without the softness. Here are a couple examples of using an orange filter with orange/red autumn leaves. I don't particularly like the effect myself but perhaps others would.

Heroique
11-Oct-2012, 20:09
I’ll occasionally use a yellow filter on sunny yellow colors. :cool:

Here’s an example w/ yellow needles (larches in October).

Me, I like the dramatic “infrared” feel, but not all the time.

Tachi 4x5
Schneider 110mm/5.6 (w/ yellow filter)
Ilford FP4+ (in HC-110)
Epson 4990/Epson Scan

John Kasaian
11-Oct-2012, 20:18
I like an orange filter. It will coax a little drama out of the sky and perk up those autumn leaves. A yellow and a yellow-green are always handy.

Eric James
11-Oct-2012, 23:32
timbo, Velvia 50 is a bit over the top for my taste - Velvia 100 would work well for your purpose, and you can push it a stop if conditions call for it. Also consider Ektar 100.

Heroique, I was scrolling through the thread on my phone with the text expanded such that I couldn't see the forum members' names. When I came to your shot I instantly thought, "I bet that's Heroique's". Pretty shot - it looks like the grove halfway up Aasgard Pass.

Heroique
12-Oct-2012, 00:50
...Heroique, I was scrolling through the thread on my phone with the text expanded such that I couldn't see the forum members' names. When I came to your shot I instantly thought, "I bet that's Heroique's". Pretty shot - it looks like the grove halfway up Aasgard Pass.

Eric, a sharp eye for place! It’s really not too far away, somewhat northeast of the Alpine Lakes area, but at a similar high altitude – 6,000 feet or so. The larches up here, as you know, are now shedding their brilliant yellow needles, and the deep snows will be falling soon. I’ve enjoyed our astonishingly long, dry, sunny spell, except for the lightning fires & smoke everywhere. Looks like rain finally returns this week…

timbo
12-Oct-2012, 06:24
Thanks so much fo all the advice everyone. Heroique and Brian, that IR-like effect is exactly what I am looking for. Amazing shots! For color, I hadn't thought about the altitude effect and the need for a warming filter -- great heads up!

Tim