PDA

View Full Version : platinum printing and paper watermarks

Kimberly Anderson
11-Oct-2012, 13:09
Hey all,

So I have this bit of OCD-ness in me that makes me really want to print in the orientation that the water mark appears on the paper. Is there any valid reason to do this? Is there even a semi-noticable tradition of people doing this? Is this just me looking for 'one more way' to make it harder than it needs to be?

If there's not, then I'll get over it and start maximizing the paper. As it is I think I am not using a large portion when I tear it in one direction, but I can use more of the paper if I tear it in the other.

What say ye?

Vaughn
11-Oct-2012, 16:45
I lined it up too, without really thinking about it. Saving paper was not an issue, so it happened quite naturally.

I prefer the COT320 when I can get it -- and no watermark!

tgtaylor
11-Oct-2012, 18:15
From The Albumem and Salted Paper Book, by James Reilly, 1980 Light Impressions:

With whatever paper stock has been chosen, examine the paper closely before salting it to see if there is a difference between sides — usually there is a front side and aback side, meaning that one side is.smoother and has more sizing than the other. The front side is the smoother one, and that is the side that should be coated with the salting solution. If there is a watermark visible, then the front is facing up when the watermark is readable. Once the paper has been salted and dried, there will be no way to tell whichside has been treated, so it is necessary to mark the back of each sheet — in pencil — to keep track of which side has been salted.

Thomas

Vaughn
11-Oct-2012, 19:12
I thought the OP was talking about if the watermark reads normally with the orientation of the image (not reversed but not upside down or sideways.) I also automatically used the side of the paper that allows the watermark not to be reversed when looking at the image.

Kimberly Anderson
12-Oct-2012, 18:34
Vaughn, you interpreted and answered my question perfectly.

Thomas, thanks for the reference. It does shed some more light.