PDA

View Full Version : Have a feeling I messed up this shot

Shootar401
10-Oct-2012, 11:41
After a rewarding day of shooting a few sheets 4x5 TMax in around around an abandoned factory I was headed home and passed by a nice waterfall. I was out of B/W but I had one unexposed sheet of Velvia 50 in my bag, so I figured what the heck.

So after setting up and metering I came to an exposure of 8 seconds at ƒ/64. I bulbed it using my iPhone as a timer and packed up. No sooner did I walk in my front door that I realize that I didn't compensate for the long exposure of Velvia, witch is 1/2 stop at 8 seconds. Now I know I have a chance of this being exposed correctly. Unfortunately I am out of E6 chemicals for 2 weeks, so I can't develop and take a look. So the questions is do I go take a hour drive and re shoot while the leaves are still colorful or just take a chance that it came out?

What has every bodies experiences been with Velvia and long exposures? Am I over thinking this too much and worrying for nothing?

vinny
10-Oct-2012, 11:44
it'll be dark with blocked up shadows that your scanner won't be able to read. It's velvia.

Shootar401
10-Oct-2012, 11:48
it'll be dark with blocked up shadows that your scanner won't be able to read. It's velvia.

Thanks for being the bearer of bad news, looks like I'm loading up another holder and heading back out.

Brian Ellis
10-Oct-2012, 13:54
Lucky you, lots of nice waterfalls around Dahlonega. I made several trips to that area when I lived in Tampa, about 10 days total. One of the trips was memorable because it rained most of the time so I spent a lot of time in a motel room with thin walls, listening to the couple next door actively enjoying themselves several times a day. Good luck with your second try.

jennym
10-Oct-2012, 14:06
If you know you have underexposed by 1/2 stop, why don't you just push-process 1/3-1/2 stop? I've done this on more than one occasion if I realise I have made a mistake with the exposure, and they usually come out fine.

Shootar401
10-Oct-2012, 18:03
If you know you have underexposed by 1/2 stop, why don't you just push-process 1/3-1/2 stop? I've done this on more than one occasion if I realise I have made a mistake with the exposure, and they usually come out fine.

Hummm, I might try that rather than drive all the way out there again. I don't know what I didn't think of that sooner.

greenrhino
12-Oct-2012, 07:00
Push it a bit and if it turns out to be something you love you could have a drum scan made of it. The drum scan can see into those dark areas without too much issue. You may not get a good scan on a ccd scanner because the noise of the darks will make a mess of it. I've corrected transparencies that are 1-1.5 stops under. Lastly there is a iphone app called reciprocity timer that gives you a countdown timer with the reciprocity failure of a mess of films built in.

vinny
12-Oct-2012, 08:08
Push it a bit and if it turns out to be something you love you could have a drum scan made of it. The drum scan can see into those dark areas without too much issue. You may not get a good scan on a ccd scanner because the noise of the darks will make a mess of it. I've corrected transparencies that are 1-1.5 stops under. Lastly there is a iphone app called reciprocity timer that gives you a countdown timer with the reciprocity failure of a mess of films built in.

that's what i should have said but when I've pushed velvia a full stop, the color shift is a bitch to deal with for me (a guy with minimal ps skills.)