PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Fisheye TLR

Steve Goldstein
10-Oct-2012, 07:50
Some time ago Jim Hemenway created a 4x5 fisheye camera using a stripped-down Speed-Graphic body and a 30mm Arsat lens. I might have posted a link to that one a few years back, you can see it here:

http://www.half-fast.com/

Yesterday I received an update from Jim describing some more recent work. He said the basic fish-eye camera proved a bit inconvenient to use, what with tripod legs showing up in images and ergonomic challenges, so he turned it into an 11-pound TLR:

http://www.half-fast.com/FishFlex.jpg

Remarkable, though not for the weak-of-back.

I suppose it could also be used for stereo if turned sideways.

Frank Petronio
10-Oct-2012, 07:52
Very cool

rdenney
10-Oct-2012, 08:33
I'm not understanding how he avoids tripod legs in view, but I'm still a bit giddy looking at it.

I love fisheyes, but prefer the full-frame approach. A 50 or 55mm fisheye would fill a 4x5 frame, and that would really interest me, except that nobody makes one.

The Arsat fisheye is quite good. I have one but I'm reluctant to dedicate it to this sort of application. I might have to look for another one.

Rick "looking at some recent 120 negatives made with the 35mm fisheye on the Pentax 6x7" Denney

rich815
10-Oct-2012, 08:34
That is such a beautiful and cool looking camera.

Steve Goldstein
10-Oct-2012, 09:32
I probably should have posted this in "Cameras" rather than in "Gear". I wouldn't complain one bit if a moderator cared to move it.

Rick, I think it's still hard to avoid the tripod leg, but at least with the viewing lens there's an opportunity to assess the impact on the image-to-be.

Frank Petronio
10-Oct-2012, 09:46
Is the focusing of the two lenses unified or is it just zone focused or ?

Steve Goldstein
10-Oct-2012, 10:03
I think it's Zone-focused, but I'll ask.

William Whitaker
10-Oct-2012, 10:29
I'm not understanding how he avoids tripod legs in view...

Are you sure that's a tripod leg?

Steve Goldstein
10-Oct-2012, 12:27
Jim says he focuses through the top lens, and both have helicals, so I guess he then adjusts the lower lens as they don't look coupled to me. He also says he shoots handheld, which eliminates the tripod at the cost of hand-holding an 11-pound camera.

Corran
10-Oct-2012, 13:40
Nice!!

ic-racer
10-Oct-2012, 19:17
That is a very cool looking camera and neat project, but what is wrong with a simple fisheye viewfinder? I suspect any 'door peephole' would work.

ic-racer
10-Oct-2012, 19:27
I'm not understanding how he avoids tripod legs in view, but I'm still a bit giddy looking at it.

I love fisheyes, but prefer the full-frame approach. A 50 or 55mm fisheye would fill a 4x5 frame, and that would really interest me, except that nobody makes one.

The Arsat fisheye is quite good. I have one but I'm reluctant to dedicate it to this sort of application. I might have to look for another one.

Rick "looking at some recent 120 negatives made with the 35mm fisheye on the Pentax 6x7" Denney

Have you ever tried a 'fisheye adapter' in front of something like a Wollensak Series III Wide Angle?

rdenney
10-Oct-2012, 21:30
Have you ever tried a 'fisheye adapter' in front of something like a Wollensak Series III Wide Angle?

Well, no, but just because I like the fisheye effect doesn't mean I don't want the image to be sharp.

That Arsat fisheye is all of that. At 30mm, it should make a round image about 90mm in diameter--perfect for a circular fisheye for 4x5. You do have to trim off the "shade" tabs on the edges.

Rick "wondering if the Pentax 67 fisheye would make the same circle without that trimming" Denney