PDA

View Full Version : Joel Sternfeld - Lens Used

Dan_1982
13-Mar-2004, 00:04
I am curious as to what focal length lens Joel Sternfeld uses on his 8x10 camera; I'm assuming he uses primarily one lens, similar to some other famous color 8x10 photograhpers. For example, I'm aware that Joel Meyerowitz uses a 250mm (on his 8x10 camera), and Richard Misrach uses mostly a 300mm.

Thank you.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
13-Mar-2004, 03:21
Joel Sternfeld is a truly great photographer whos influence on other photographers is yet to be appreciated.Years ago there was a book (by Sally Yuclair?) NEW COLOR .In that book there was something on Sternfelds technical detalis at that time; Wista 8x10 and two lenses 240mm and 300 mm. This may all have changed but he still makes great work.

Brian Ellis
13-Mar-2004, 05:56
Thanks for posting this question, I hadn't heard of Joel Sternfeld so I did a Google search and saw some of his wondeful photographs there. The second hit in Google says he uses a Wista camera with a normal and "slightly wide angle" lens. Presumably that means 300mm and maybe something like a 220-240. The article by Peter Marshall (I think that's his name) about Sternfeld is very interesting, well worth reading I thought.

domenico Foschi
13-Mar-2004, 09:38
I couldn't stop looking at his images. I liked the 'understated' compositions, the beautiful colours , another lesson for me to try to find beauty in the obvious and unattractive . I had seen his work already somewhere a few years ago , but it didn't hit ma as hard as today . Thank you Dan. It does look like he uses a something like a 240 to me .

tim atherton
13-Mar-2004, 09:40
Joel just this week won the prestigious Citigroup photography prize.

His classic book American Prospects - is just that - a classic. (I think someone may be re-issuing it?). Campagna Romana is also quite lovely. His slim recent book Walking the Highline is a wonderful little "miniature" - wild nature in the middle of New York

Walter Foscari
13-Mar-2004, 10:21
American Prospects has been reissued last year. Also worth noting is his 2001 book "Stranger Passing" (environmental portraits). Mentioned in the NYTimes best books of the year in the photography section.

Dan_1982
13-Mar-2004, 11:38
Thank you very much to all that have replied to my original posting!

Well, it looks like my Google search skills (which I actually did before posting here) need a lot of work, as I didn't come across the lens info some of you found. I guess I'll rationalize and chalk it up to fatigue after a long day at work : - )

Last week I just bought the re-issued book American Prospects, that some of you have mentioned in your replies. I already had the older smaller softcover edition. Besides the interesting nature of the photos as content and art, this new edition is larger (the photos are around 10 5/8" x 13 3/8", so the large format quality comes through fairly well) and hardcover, and, , this new edition blew me away. The quality of the photo reproductions are vastly superior to the old softcover edition I have - detail, contrast, color, ... everything. And, it seems to me that is the one of the best books I have ever seen for color photographic reproduction (although I'm not an expert by any means, so there may be better ones out there).

Anyway, seeing his photos again in a new light so to speak, lead me to consider what focal length he was using, and maybe I might see how that would translate to my own vision. Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Mark_3632
13-Mar-2004, 14:20
A bit off the subject but I would like to know how he got away with photographing Moenkopi ,AZ?

tim atherton
13-Mar-2004, 15:40
"A bit off the subject but I would like to know how he got away with photographing Moenkopi ,AZ?"

Not quite sure what you mean? (I'm guessing maybe Reservation land?)

I think one of the things that often sets photogrpahers like Sternfeld apart is not just their photogorpahic skill and vission, but also their ability to get access to both people and places - their people skills. Through either their diplomatic skills or contacts they often gain access to places and situations many others wouldn't even bother to try. Sometimes it takes a lot of hard work - talking to people, making phoencalls, massaging egos. Sometimes it just take brass balls. Also it's amazing how many doors the word Guggenheim will open...

Sternfeld is a very low key but purposeful type of character - for example, he can quite succesfully get complete strangers to pose in the street for his 8x10. He's also published a whole book of photographs from the High Line in NYC - which is supposed to generally be off limits to the public - he just usually climbed through the fence with his 8x10 among other things.

As for Moenkopi remember this was 20 years ago. I've also photogoraphed in many similar places - sometimes working with contacts. Sometimes - you don't need it - it's all in how you approach it. Some you win some you lose

tim atherton
13-Mar-2004, 18:06
"(by Sally Yuclair?) NEW COLOR .In that book there was something on Sternfelds technical detalis at that time; Wista 8x10 and two lenses 240mm and 300 mm. This may all have changed but he still makes great work."

Sally Euclair - still a good read. It's the second book - New Color/New Work - Wista 8x10, 240mm and 360mm schneider symmars and a 300mm Kodak Anastigmat. But that was 20 years ago - I imagine he well have bought other lenses since then...

I think he was lugging around a Deardorff for the high Line photogorpahs