PDA

View Full Version : Print too big to fit in Dry Mount Press

Pawlowski6132
9-Oct-2012, 08:12
Has anyone ever tried to use a clothes iron on a print that was too big for the press?

I tried a couple times to press it in parts but, it doesn't seem to come out smoothly.

Print is 20x24.

Just curious what your results were and if you had any tips before I tired it.

Or, a related question would be, what is another alternate method to securing a 20x24 curly fiber based print to matboard?????

Michael Graves
9-Oct-2012, 08:15
You can successfully mount larger prints in multiple pressings. The trick is to have a cover thick enough to spread the pressure without showing the indentations of the platen.

frotog
9-Oct-2012, 09:33
Ditto. It also helps to have the cover extend a good six inches on all fours sides of the platen.

Cletus
9-Oct-2012, 09:47
I tried this once with my 11x14 Seal press on a 16x20 Selenium toned print. The print had a nice, brownish tone to it and after I mounted it (in two or three passes) there were very significant tonal shifts between the different areas where I had applied heat from the press. This could have been caused for several reasons, but ultimately the print was a total loss. I've had no issues doing this with untoned prints, but have not tried it with a toned one since. YMMV.

MIke Sherck
10-Oct-2012, 05:48
I used an iron for years until I stumbled into a press at an auction. One key is to get the iron's temperature right: the natural inclination is to make it too hot and then the dry mount adhesive stays fluid too long, lifts up when you shift to another area and you get bubbles. Similarly, one's natural inclination is to press down on the iron. The weight of the iron is enough, you don't need more. Start in the center of the print and slide the iron outward to the edges smoothly at a steady rate, not too fast, say, an inch or so per second. I used paper over the print so the iron never touched the print surface. Be very careful to lean dust, etc. off but you know that.

Here's a hint: if the paper you put over the print sticks to the print then your iron is too hot or you are moving too slowly. You can get stuck paper off, though, most of the time.

Practice first! 8x10 is a good size to practice on because it is larger than your iron. Iron thermostats are not precision instruments so there can be considerable differences between irons. I bought my iron at a garage sale and just used the same one all the time. It's an easy skill to learn, with practice. Start with 8x10, move to a larger size with practice prints before trying your large print. Good luck!

Mike

Cletus
10-Oct-2012, 06:21
And you can get silicone or Teflon coated 'release paper' at art supply places, to be used over the top of the print (and under, if you're picky) and which will mitigate most sticking problems.

joselsgil
10-Oct-2012, 09:21
If the print is just too valuable to screw up attempting to mount with an iron. I would suggest you find a reputable frame shop and see if they can mount the print for you.

Good luck,

Jose

Brian Ellis
10-Oct-2012, 09:46
You can successfully mount larger prints in multiple pressings. The trick is to have a cover thick enough to spread the pressure without showing the indentations of the platen.

I used to put a piece of mat board over the print to prevent indentations from showing.

But to use multiple pressings with a 20x24 print isn't he or she going to need a platen that's at least 20 inches wide?

frotog
10-Oct-2012, 10:16
I used to put a piece of mat board over the print to prevent indentations from showing.

But to use multiple pressings with a 20x24 print isn't he or she going to need a platen that's at least 20 inches wide?

You need at least 12" wide platen. A single hinge point helps with this kind of multi-pass approach. Check the swing arm by Bien fang http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46574-REG/Seal_Bienfang_SE_168_110S_Swingarm_Dry_Mounting.html

Scott Walker
10-Oct-2012, 12:11
Has anyone ever tried to use a clothes iron on a print that was too big for the press?

I tried a couple times to press it in parts but, it doesn't seem to come out smoothly.

Print is 20x24.

Just curious what your results were and if you had any tips before I tired it.

Or, a related question would be, what is another alternate method to securing a 20x24 curly fiber based print to matboard?????

I have had very good success mounting large prints with my 16x20 seal press.
Make sure you use a piece of rag board larger than your press on either side and the rest is just a matter of pressure and technique.
If I'm not mistaken member ROL has a pretty good description of how to do this on his web site.

Scott Walker
10-Oct-2012, 12:19
If I'm not mistaken member ROL has a pretty good description of how to do this on his web site.

Found it
This method works. Takes a teeny bit of practice, but follow the instructions and you will nail it on your first or second try.

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/pages/Fine%20Art%20Print%20Presentation#drymounting

Brian Ellis
10-Oct-2012, 13:50
You need at least 12" wide platen. A single hinge point helps with this kind of multi-pass approach. Check the swing arm by Bien fang http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46574-REG/Seal_Bienfang_SE_168_110S_Swingarm_Dry_Mounting.html

Thanks. But $1,200? I think my used Bogen dry mount press cost about $150. : - )

frotog
10-Oct-2012, 14:05
Yes, you are right! Any 12" dry mount press will work.