PDA

View Full Version : CEHBF :: Building a Sense of Place -- Mahoney & Pickford -- Photographic Exhibition

Richard Mahoney
9-Oct-2012, 03:20
Canterbury Earthquake Heritage Buildings Fund
`Building a Sense of Place' -- Mahoney & Pickford Photographic Exhibition
Worcester Boulevard, Christchurch, New Zealand

Official Opening (All Welcome): 5:15-7:00, Wednesday 17th October 2012
Meet near the Christchurch City Council entrance on Worcester Boulevard

Dates: Every day, Wednesday 17th October–Sunday 9th December 2012

Venue: Worcester Boulevard, Christchurch, New Zealand

Official Website: www.savecanterburyheritage.org.nz

About (from Exhibition Overview):

``Our relationship with the environment in which we live, our ‘sense of place’, affects all aspects of our life.

Heritage buildings support our sense of place, our feeling of continuity with the past, our need for something certain, within a world of constant change. They are not just visually pleasing luxuries but essential anchors which give us a sense of identity. They are touchstones by which we measure the present. They influence the way we feel, think and identify with the place in which we live.

Christchurch and Canterbury have traditionally been defined by their heritage buildings. Many have been lost as a result of the earthquakes which devastated the city and province in 2010 and 2011 and the future of many others hangs in the balance.

The Canterbury Earthquake Heritage Buildings Fund (CEHBF) is helping to save the best of our remaining buildings so they will continue to enrich our lives.

Heritage buildings are points of reference, markers of time and place. These remaining buildings remind us of our past and their preservation will ensure that the city which existed before the earthquakes will not be forgotten.

‘Building a Sense of Place’ documents buildings which have received financial assistance or have been targeted for assistance from the CEHBF. Richard Mahoney and Kristina Pickford have worked on this photographic project since December 2011. A large format view camera together with colour transparency and black and white film has been used throughout. The emphasis has been on producing high quality detailed images suitable for enlargement and archiving.

Kristina Pickford is an architectural historian. She has worked with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust and as a Heritage Advisor with the Christchurch City Council. Kristina has a deep and enduring interest in architecture, aesthetics and heritage. With a strong affinity for Canterbury's natural and built environments, she is working to ensure that what remains of the region’s heritage not only survives, but continues to be relevant.

Richard Mahoney's photographic work is mostly architectural. He concentrates on the interior and exterior of early New Zealand buildings and structures. He is interested in rural and industrial change, growth and decay, creation, destruction and regeneration.''

Kind regards,

Richard Mahoney

P.S. I would like to make special acknowledgement of the splendid support I have received over the course of this project from my colleague Kristina Pickford. I am also extremely grateful for the untiring assistance of Alec Bathgate, Andrew Budd, Edgar Praus and Imagelab.

mdm
9-Oct-2012, 14:22
Good for you. I would love to see firsthand but not possible for me to get away that far. A traveling exhibition to the Invercargill Museum and Gallery? They hang a lot of photography.

Richard Mahoney
9-Oct-2012, 22:48
Thank you David. It would be good to travel and this may happen yet -- though it would be a bit of a performance: around thirty 1850x1350 mm digital ACM (aluminium composite) panels. Easy enough to bolt up but a little bit of a pain to pack and ship around. Strong and weather resistant though and that's just great.

Best, Richard

Richard Mahoney
15-Oct-2012, 01:34
... It would be good to travel and this may happen yet -- though it would be a bit of a performance: around thirty 1850x1350 mm digital ACM (aluminium composite) panels. Easy enough to bolt up but a little bit of a pain to pack and ship around. Strong and weather resistant though and that's just great. ...

Just bolted up today. I'm very pleased with ACM as an outdoor medium for large prints. (Direct printing to substrate by a Durst Rho 600 set to 600dpi.)

Best, Richard

Richard Mahoney
12-Nov-2012, 20:39
An aside on this thread -- We recently had a sponsor cover a billboard advertising the exhibition. Digital printing to PVC at 150dpi. The artwork included a 4x5 transparency (Astia) drum scanned to A0. Up close the image does not begin to fall apart and the tonality and colour are what one would have hoped. Maybe large format still has some sort of place:

http://camera-antipodea.indica-et-buddhica.com/about/misc/building-a-sense-of-place-mahoney-pickford-exhibition-billboard.jpg

Kind regards,

Richard

mdm
12-Nov-2012, 21:49
Thats fantastic Richard.