PDA

View Full Version : 5X7 Camera and lenses

Donald Miller
12-Mar-2004, 18:18
I am strongly thinking about moving into 5X7 exclusively and getting out of 4X5, 8X10, and 12X20 formats. I have been looking to the Canham Woodfield. It appears that in new field cameras my choices are Canham, Wisner, and Ebony. I prefer to stay away from Wisner because of all of the horror stories and Ebony, while nice, is a bit pricey for me. Is the Canham a good camera? What shortcomings does it have?

I have a 210 Schneider F 5.6 Symmar and I believe that it will cover 5X7, I know that my 450 Nikor M will cover. I am looking at the 305 G Claron as a third lens and my lack, as I see it, is in the 120-150 mm range. At first thought the 120 seemed reasonable...but then I rarely use my 90 SA with my 4X5 so am I getting the same effect at 120 with 5X7? What lens would be more near my 120 Apo Symmar on 4X5 as far as aspect ratio in 5X7? Any recommendations in that focal length?

Thanks for your help.

steve simmons
12-Mar-2004, 18:32
Try something in the 150mm range.

On the View Camera site in the free artiles section there is an article on 5x7 cameras.

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

Francis Abad
12-Mar-2004, 18:33
Might I suggest the 120 Super Angulon or the 150 Super Symmar HM. I am sure good deals abound.

I am curious as to why you are considering 5x7 out of the 4 formats. I would have thought 8x10 would be the winner of the 4 - very nice contact print size (no need to use a cutter) and still usable on many enlargers.

Eric Woodbury
12-Mar-2004, 18:34
I use a 45 metal Canham and like it. A friend had both the metal and wood 57 Canham and after using the cameras for a while liked the wood the best. I use a Deardorff for 57 and it is a good camera and you might consider it as there are many around.

With the 57, the choice of lenses is huge. I use lenses from the 72XL SA to the 800 T Nikkor. In the range you asked about, I have a Super Symmar xl 110mm. Very nice. Will cover 810 in a pinch. I had a 121 SA, an older lens that is very good. There are many of these and not very expensive compared to new glass. I also use a 150mm sironar-W. That lens is no longer made. Too bad. Next lens up for me is the 210mm. For 300mm I always recommend the Fuji C.

HOpe this helps.

wfwhitaker
12-Mar-2004, 18:57
5x7 is a great format. You'll find it's not nearly so cumbersome to carry about as an 8x10, yet it offers almost twice the negative area as 4x5. 5x7 is a good size for contact printing and 5x7 enlargers are not hard to come by. They generally fit into most folks' darkrooms much more easily than 8x10 enlargers.

Regarding the Canham wooden 5x7, I had one in the past and think it's a terrific camera. They're maybe a little bit twiddly as far as opening and closing, but with practice, you will adapt. I recommend the camera wholeheartedly; I only sold mine because I needed the money at the time. It's been one of those sales I've always somewhat regretted.

A 5x7 offers the possibility of not only 5x7, but 4x5 with a reducing back. The Canham wooden camera is constructed so that it's easy to adapt a Graflok back using simple wood tools. I did, and it worked great. You'll find that many, if not most 4x5 lenses work well with 5x7, so they can get double-duty.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
12-Mar-2004, 19:09
Yes, the 120mm with 5x7 will be a similar view to than of a 90mm in 4x5. As for medium wide 150mm lenses you don't have a lot of choice. The discontinued 150mm Rodenstock Sironar-W or Schneider SS HM are both good choices for fieldwork, with 260mm of image, and are (especially the Rodenstock) pretty compact, and are multi-coated. The 150mm G-Claron (and also the Kowa) works very well, and covers nicely, I think about 275mm, but isn't, in my experience, as sharp as the above and is single coated. For a larger coverage you can go either for older lenses (6.5" WA Dagor, 165mm Angulon, etc) which have great coverage, are very small, but are single (or un)coated, and are not as sharp as either the G-Claron, Sironar-W or the HM. Finally there are the big lenses: Nikon 150mm SW, 165mm Super Angulon, 155mm Grandagon: these are REALLY big, and have massive coverage. There is also the 150mm Super-Symmar XL, which is a great lens, but takes massive filters. I use the 150mm Rodenstock Sironar-W, and am very satisfied.

Kerry L. Thalmann
12-Mar-2004, 19:17
Don,

I also prefer a semi-wide lens on most formats. On 4x5, that is the 110mm Super Symmar XL. On 5x7, I like something in the 150mm range. Although the little 150mm APO-Sironar-S, covers 5x7, it doesn't leave much left over for movements. The two lenses I always recommend in this focal length for 5x7 are a pair of discontinued 80 degree lenses - the 150mm APO-Sironar-W and the 150mm Super Symmar HM. While the Super Symmar HM is more common on the used market, the APO Sironar-W is my personal preference as it's quite a bit smaller and lighter. This same lens was also sold as the APO Sironar (no -W suffix) and by Sinar as the Sinaron WS.

You can read more about this lens at this thread:

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/497232.html

Kerry

Ben Calwell
12-Mar-2004, 19:37
Don,

I'm glad to hear you're going to 5x7. I've been shooting 5x7 for a few years now and only make contact prints from my negs. In my opinion, a well executed 5x7 contact print is a thing to behold. My only lens is an old Schneider 180mm lens, which I think is a terrific focal length for this format. I shoot with an old Linhof Tech III. It's a little heavy for me, but it feels solid and precise. Wouldn't mind having a Canham, though. Welcome to the 5x7 club.

Donald Miller
12-Mar-2004, 20:00
Thank you everyone for your input and direction. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

clay harmon
12-Mar-2004, 20:09
Don:

I started with a 5x7, and probably the most used lens on that camera still is the Symmar XL 110mm. It is by far the sharpest and best lens I own. It seems to be about like a 28mm focal length in 35mm terms. My next most used lens is a 240 gold dot dagor. This focal length is just ever-so-slightly longer than normal, and is great for environmental portraits or closeups. Just my two cents worth.

clay harmon
12-Mar-2004, 20:12
Forgot to add the semi-wide lens that works extremely well on 5x7: a 150mm dagor. These 6 inch dagors turn up on ebay periodically, and are tiny, yet still allow a modest amount of movement. Sort of similar to the 35mm focal length in 35mm terms.

Michael Kadillak
12-Mar-2004, 20:19
Hey Don:

I have the metal 5x7 version of the Canham camera and can tell you that the reason that I went this direction over the wooden offering was the fact that it was metal (perception of it being less susceptible to weather), it was a new very innovative design (I like to reward creativity) that caught my eye and was about as light a 5x7 camera as I could get at the time. All Canham cameras are available with synthetic bellows and fabulous fresnels (standard on the metal 5x7) and after I focused one, it sealed the deal. Best image you could imagine to focus on the ground glass. I will tell you that all Canham cameras I have inspected have a bit of operating elasticity to them (ie, when locked down they can "move" a bit when inserting film holders etc) , but they return with precision to their correct position to make razor sharp images for me time and time again so do not get overly consumed about this. It is on purpose to save weight. The 4x5 back and the bag bellows are welcomed additions. With the Canham 5x7 I use the following Nikon lenses - 90SW, 120 SW, 180W, 210W, 300M and occasionally the 450C Fuji. IMHO the smaller 300M Nikon is a better choice for 5x7 than the 305 G Claron as you do not need the additional coverage. I use my 305 for 8x10.

However, if you purchase used, the concerns about Wisner are really not an issue. That is how I acquired my 11x14 Wisner. Give each camera a run through its paces and one will unquestionably fit your personality.

I would have a hell of a time getting rid of the 4x5, 8x10 and 12x20 and just shoot the 5x7. Don't get me wrong, I love 5x7 to death and shoot it regularly, but some images just beg for another alternative to shoot it.

I wish you all the best in your decision.

Cheers!

Christopher Condit
12-Mar-2004, 20:39
If you want a 5x7 field camera, the Canham is a great choice. I came close to buying one, but decided to go with a monorail instead (Toho).

Christopher Condit
12-Mar-2004, 20:41
Let me know if you want to get rid of the 12x20, I am shopping for one...

e
12-Mar-2004, 20:51
I love the 5x7 format also, seems just right! If you are interested I can get a new Wisner 5x7 Pocket Expedition (all black) to you fast as it is ready to ship right now. Fully inspected of course before the camera ships out. This camera is lightweight and fully geared front and rear. But, If.... I didn't like my first 5x7, an Anba Ikeda so much, I would probably upgrade to the pocket.....

William Blunt
12-Mar-2004, 23:08
I use the Canham 5x7 wood and highly recommend it. The 180 symmar S works great as a slight wide angle. I also use a 120 Congo, 240 Gold Dot Dagor, 300 Nikkor M, and 450 Fuji C.

Michael Kadillak
13-Mar-2004, 07:14
FYI There is a wood 5x7 KB Canham on * Bay new this AM.

Cheers!

Donald Miller
13-Mar-2004, 07:18
Michael, Thanks I will check it out.

John D Gerndt
13-Mar-2004, 07:20
I too am curious as to why you are simplifying your photographic endeavors. Is it as simple as simplifying for its own sake?

As to lenses used on 5x7 I too like the 150mm as a semi wide. I use a Konica GRII f9 wich covers nicely and with amazing sharpness.

I have found 5x7 to be the best compromise of all formats, it is my if-you-could-only use-one-format pick, but I am just now getting into 12x20 and wonder what has changed your mind about it. What warnings do you have?

When I go out it is usually with 5x7 and if I see something that begs a larger format I plan a return trip. It seems like the best thought is to know ahead of time what your output requirements are as well as what you can afford to do weight and time wise and then choose the format that gives you those results. I am baffled that you would give up a choice I am (many others?) striving to acquire. Please share your knowledge.

Donald Miller
13-Mar-2004, 09:16
My decisions are based entirely in simplification of process consistant with producing the type of work that I want to produce.

For the person looking for a 12X20, if you are interested, email me.

I have two 8X10 FS Deardorffs and one 8X10 NFS Deardorff and one 4X5 Zone VI for sale.

I hope this violates no guidelines of this site. If it does remove the listing.

sanking
14-Mar-2004, 07:59
Have you considered the 5X7 Shen Hao? You would have to order the camera directly from the maker but it sure appears to be a well-made piece of equipment for the money. And I heard from someone who owns one that it sets up rock solid.