PDA

View Full Version : Film Developing Tank Recommendations?

Larry Huhn
8-Oct-2012, 21:42
Hello, I am new to this forum and to large format photography. I need to purchase a film developing tank for 4x5 film and I was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation for an affordable but functional tank.

Thanks

welly
8-Oct-2012, 22:36
You could probably pick up a Jobo 2520 for maybe $100 or just over. That'll develop up to 6 sheets of 4x5.

polyglot
8-Oct-2012, 23:08
However if you don't have a Jobo processor, a Jobo tank is of very limited usefulness. I personally use a 3010+CPP2 but it's not what you'd call affordable.

Look at getting a Paterson 3-reel tank and the "MOD" insert that holds a few sheets. And google for "taco method".

Ed Bray
9-Oct-2012, 00:09
Hi, I have gone through a similar problem, I bought a load of various options but settled on the Paterson Orbital, the downside is it only takes 4 sheets of film at a time.

Your options are:

Tray processing, must be done in the dark, cheapest option
Yankee tank, takes 12 sheets, a lot of chemicals and there are some issues with scratching of the emulsion
Paterson Orbital Processor, holds 4x sheets, can be mechanised, suitable for orbital or Stand processing (my favourite)
Paterson or Jobo universal Tank, Taco style, probably the cheapest daylight option and works well for 4 sheets
Paterson 3 reel tank and MOD54 holder holds 6 sheets, inversion processing,
Jobo 2500 series Tank wih 2509n reek, holds 6 sheets can be rotary or inversion processed
Jobo 3000 series tanks 5 sheets rotary only, expensive

Hope this helps.

Bob Salomon
9-Oct-2012, 04:38
CombiPlan T

Mark MacKenzie
9-Oct-2012, 06:14
I really like my CombiPlan. I used one for years and found another with misc. darkroom stuff for sale. Though not available new, they can be found.

Larry Huhn
9-Oct-2012, 09:01
Thanks everyone. This gives me some ideas and I will narrow it down based on my particular needs.

jk0592
9-Oct-2012, 17:39
I used the Jobo 1500 tanks for years and years to develop 120 film. But I find the 4x5 Jobo 2521+2509 spiral much more difficult to load, so much so that I am resorting to tray development until I master the skill to put the 6 films in the 2509. I do practice loading the 2509 every day, in full light no problem; in the dark, it is a different story though.

koh303
10-Oct-2012, 14:07
the 2508 film loader might make it easier for you to load the 2509 reels, though once you get the hang of it, it is really quite easy ;).
BTW - Jobo drums are absolutely useful even without a Jobo machine. You can go commando, and use them for inversion (1250ml in the 2520) or simply hand roll them on a flat surface (edge of a sink or table). Alternatively, as someone above me suggested, you can use a unicolor\besseler motor base or a Jobo 1509 roller base for manually rotating the tank in place, which would be the ideal solution. Good luck!

SpeedGraphicMan
10-Oct-2012, 15:28
Although often frowned upon... a Yankee sheet film daylight tank is an inexpensive option.
Personally I would recommend sticking with tray development until you master that.

An open tank with hangers is also a very good method.

Charlie Strack
10-Oct-2012, 15:33
I use the Jobo 2500 series tanks with hand inversion--it's heavy because of the volume of liquid required (not the same amount as the label says), but it works--just hold onto it tightly so it doesn't drop.

Charlie Strack

jk0592
10-Oct-2012, 16:04
not the same amount as the label says that is for sure. It says, on the 2521, 270/560 ml, certainly for horizontal rotation. Nothing on the tank about hand inversion technique. It takes about 1500ml to fill, it is quite heavy compared to 1500 series tank.

Captain_joe6
15-Oct-2012, 23:45
BTZS tubes, anyone? Shall we throw him straight into the deepest, darkest end of the pool straight off the bat? ;)

RedSun
16-Oct-2012, 17:07
Not sure if anyone mentioned the sheet film tanks, like the Kodak hard rubber tanks with hangers. They are cheap and easy. Of course, this has to be done in total darkness. You have total control of it.

David Schaller
16-Oct-2012, 18:12
I use the Jobo 2500 series tanks with hand inversion--it's heavy because of the volume of liquid required (not the same amount as the label says), but it works--just hold onto it tightly so it doesn't drop.

Charlie Strack

I do this too. Once you get used to it, it's just like using smaller tanks. I use Pyrocat HD 1:1:100.
Dave

Jiri Vasina
17-Oct-2012, 01:17
Loading the Jobo 2509 reel is not exactly easy, but with a little practice it can be done quickly and without serious problems.

If you have more than 6 sheets and/or want to develop more sheets in less time and/or want to save on chemistry, don't discount the Jobo 2830 print drums - they are intended for rotary development of prints, but I use it to develop all my films (even 120 spooled on reels). It works very well, especially with a motor base (I have the Unicolor Uniroller)... without the motor base it would be a bit large to handle well, but could also be done. And when you go larger in the future, you can use it to develop up to 2 sheets of 8×10" at the time... And they can be had for $100, or less if you are lucky...

Jiri

Edit:
if you do rotary development in the 2830 drum, you can use as low as 350ml of developing solution - that in my case of Rodinal 1:50 works to just 7ml of chemistry...
For anything else, it is not that suitable, as it would need approx. 2l of solution...

Pfiltz
17-Oct-2012, 05:55
I'm a newb, but I'm developing b/w 4x5's in a patterson tank via the taco method.

Bill_1856
17-Oct-2012, 09:11
My recommendation is to forget using a tank -- it sounds good but are more trouble than they're worth. Oftimes they are a disaster.
For 65 years I've been tray developing, but if there was a large volume of work then I'd go to open tanks and hangers.

RedSun
17-Oct-2012, 09:59
I like tank/hanger better than the tray. You do not get too wet and the films do not stick together.

Get like this:

Kodachrome25
18-Oct-2012, 09:18
Thanks everyone. This gives me some ideas and I will narrow it down based on my particular needs.

I think this is very much the best way to look at it, individual needs. In my case, I shoot for a living and wanted the most consistency and highest quality I could get. Sheet film is not cheap and my time, gas money, food and other consumables even more so.

After experimenting with several things, I cut to the chase and now have a CPP2 / 3010 which is virtually flawless.

Eric Woodbury
18-Oct-2012, 12:15
I used a big Jobo tank for years. It was fine. Now I use tubes, like the BTZS, made from black ABS pipe. Each film in its individual tube. These are easy, cheap, and work fine. If you don't like them, then plumb them into your sewer.

Professional
18-Oct-2012, 18:59
Well, with all those methods one can be confused with which one he should go or try first?!!!!

I started with trays and it was the only method i did for my first ever sheet processing, only one sheet, and know what? I hate trays processing in my bathroom very much, i don't have any another place and i can't modify my bathroom to make it easier for me, so i will ignore trays for sure.

I have Paterson 3-reels tank and MOD54, also have those BTZS tubes and the CombiPlan, but i didn't use any of them yet, i want to start with Paterson+Mod first, later i may test BTZS or CombiPlan, but honestly, i wish i can have JOBO Processor, i couldn't find one with good price and full kit, also the shipping will be so pricey for me, that made me if i shouldn't think about JOBO.

I hope i can find or get used to a proper sheets processing so then i can shoot more with LF, i do process B&W MF rolls very easy and no issues unless my fault, but with LF it is a bit different.

Ari
18-Oct-2012, 19:05
However if you don't have a Jobo processor, a Jobo tank is of very limited usefulness.

Not true; I've had Jobo tanks for a number of years, I started off by rolling the tank by hand in a tub of water; got perfect results.
Last year, I got a motorized base and I got perfect results there as well.

The reels take a little practice loading, but once mastered, the Jobo system is bulletproof, requiring very little chemistry.

Rafal Lukawiecki
20-Oct-2012, 01:18
Another happy CombiPlan user. Make sure there are no blue washers.

tgtaylor
20-Oct-2012, 08:27
Jo...BO is the way to GO...oo.