PDA

View Full Version : A & N RR lenses

Pete Watkins
7-Oct-2012, 09:32
I'm extatic, I've just bought a lens that was sold by The Army & Navy stores engraved Francis Street in Westminister London. The front of the shop in in Victoria Street SW1. It's a rapid rectilinrar design "B" series F8-F64 and engraved 12 x 10. This is a retail outlet, does anybody know who would have manufactured this lens (Dallmeyer comes to mind as they were London based). I've checked the VM and nothing comes up.
Thanks for any help,
Pete.

seawolf66
7-Oct-2012, 11:49
Photo's do help and do make some of us drool

Pete Watkins
8-Oct-2012, 11:51
Pictures as requested.
Pete

Steven Tribe
8-Oct-2012, 12:09
Probably smells of the British Empire, India and Burma!

I think I remember these "outfitter" shops which still existed in the 1950's.

The Army/Navy outfitters along with the London Stereoscopic Co. were quite large outlets who could order a range (cameras and optics) from the UK, France or Germany.
A guess here would be either Wray or Perken.

Pete Watkins
8-Oct-2012, 12:55
Thanks Steven. The store is/was based in Victoria Street London and traded under that name until 2005. It now trades under another name. One of their old catalouges was published in the late '60's / early '70's but I ain't paying the prices asked on Amazon and I can't remember seeing cameras in the book.
I wondered if the words "B series" would be any sort of clue, and if the style of engraving would offer any clue.
Thanks,
Pete.

Steven Tribe
8-Oct-2012, 13:05
I would image that WW2 marks the end of their wide range of products for "Gentlemen and families embarking soon for service in the Empire". The shop I remember visting (School Uniform collection) had a lot of sporting articles, but no Photographic articles - although it is almost 60 years ago!

Cletus
8-Oct-2012, 13:13
That's quite a find! drool. I wonder if that lens was somehow teleported into our 21st century culture, it would have "Brookstone" or "Orvis" or something engraved on it! Now please don't tell us you only paid £50 for it! :eek:

Pete Watkins
8-Oct-2012, 14:06
Cletus,
No, £40, but I've yet to try it. Don't drool yet.
Pete.