PDA

View Full Version : Help save our old Shutters

Bill, 70's military B&W
7-Oct-2012, 06:56
A lot of us have old shutters that occasionally need servicing. These old parts are hard to come by. I have spoken to Carol at Flutot's Camera Repair and she is in need of old shutters for parts. I do not know Carol except she is doing CLA on several of my lenses right now. Never actually met her.
Carol is a sweetheart on this board and helps keep these old shutters operating for really reasonable prices.

CLA about $77 and a good cleaning $33.

She can not fix "OUR" shutters if she does not have the parts.

Here's a thought, I had 2 old lens/shutter combinations that I sent Carol, she said they were not worth repairing, so I told her to keep them for parts. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has an old shutter that you know you are never going to have repaired. Cost to repair is more than it is worth... or it is simple not repairable. So it would benefit everyone if you just donated it to Carol.

If anyone has any old shutters that they would like to donate to her, I'm sure she and many broken shutters would really appreciate it.
I do not see how she can do the job she is doing for us without our help.

Right now I have a Copal #3 that needs a part. She does not have the part. Copal stopped selling parts earlier this year. What is Carol going to do? Copal #3 is not really that old, what if someone had a really old ACME that needed a part? Only possible chance to fix it would be if she had old shutters to salvage parts from. That part is up to the members of this Forum. We are the largest group of LF photographers in the world. There really is no other solution to keep our old shutters alive.

Her address is;

Flutot's Camera Repair
14922 Janine Drive
Whittier CA. 90605

Thanks, Bill

desertrat
7-Oct-2012, 15:49
I think your suggestion is a good one. I have a couple of 'parts' shutters, but I hold onto them because I've managed to fix a few that I got on the 'bay cheap because they weren't working. If you really need to get a shutter fixed and don't have a part, I believe Ken Ruth at Bald Mountain can make parts for cameras and shutters that are missing parts. I'm guessing custom fabrication of parts won't be cheap, but it can be done if the need is great enough.

http://www.baldmtn.com/

Bill, 70's military B&W
7-Oct-2012, 18:41
Thanks but I think I could probably get a used shutter for the price of having something fabricated. But then I do not know anything for sure cuz I never tried it.

I'm hoping that someone will have a Copal #3 that got dropped into the river or stepped on, slammed in a car door, the kids found it...etc
That I hope will be the cheapest way, it may take some time but I'm hoping to 'get er done' this way. I just started, got to give it some time.

Hopefully people will look in their cabinets and pull out some old shutters that they know they are never going to do anything with and send them to Carol.
I'm on a MISSION to save those old beloved shutters, and the lenses they belong to.
Thanks, Bill

premortho
14-Oct-2012, 11:42
Good mission, Bill

lenser
14-Oct-2012, 12:21
Great idea, Bill and Carol is an extremely worthy recipient.

John Kasaian
14-Oct-2012, 17:42
Great idea, Bill and Carol is an extremely worthy recipient.
Yup. Excellent idea!

Adamphotoman
20-Oct-2012, 22:11
Well I have a few shuttered lenses that could be barrel mounted. I use a scan back which does not require a shutter.

Bill, 70's military B&W
21-Oct-2012, 15:52
I'm sure she'll appreciate it. My lenses are done and will be in the mail tomorrow!!!
I found another old ILEX ACME, and I'm sending it to her, if she can't fix it then she will have it for parts,TOO!!!
That will make 2 I've been able to donate. I'm a Newbie, just starting acquire gear.
Bill

Bill, 70's military B&W
27-Oct-2012, 05:28
I'm still waiting on the lenses to arrive, maybe today!
Bill

premortho
27-Oct-2012, 17:31
Oh, I thought you got them already. I've got one that I need to send her for a tune-up. A Syncro-Alphax-Matic that I just got. It worked at first, but it jammed wide open

Bill, 70's military B&W
27-Oct-2012, 18:54
She does not work on every shutter, I'd email her first, just to make sure.