PDA

View Full Version : Shutter advice for B&L Tessar Ic 8x10

Mike in NY
6-Oct-2012, 09:12
Hi everyone,

I'm making the leap from medium to large format, with a lovely AGFA 8x10 field camera (see photo) with a B&L Tessar Ic 8x10 lens mounted to it. I would welcome advice on compatible shutters that are - shall we say - more "ideal" than a Packard.

All guidance is appreciated.

E. von Hoegh
6-Oct-2012, 09:26
Welcome!

You might want to look into the Sinar shutters, I don't have any experience with them to speak of. Or keep an eye out for a lens already in a shutter - they can be surprisingly inexpensive.

Mark Woods
6-Oct-2012, 09:31
Sinar shutters are the best, but in my experience, they don't adapt well.

Jim Galli
6-Oct-2012, 19:06
Mike, that camera and lens has made images for 90 years without an in lens shutter. Why does it need one now. Are you somehow less of a photographer than the previous guys were? I doubt it.

There is no direct fit shutter for that lens. If you can't make pictures without a shutter you're far better off selling that lens on ebay for whatever you can get and buying some modern 300 or 360 with a shutter. Meanwhile, look at my web pages. Lots and lots of pictures . . packard shutter.

William Whitaker
6-Oct-2012, 19:21
Your Agfa and the 8x10 Tessar 1c is really a nice kit; I've got one just like it. Get a set of neutral density filters if you need and adjust your exposures for the timing you have available with the Packard. Or since that lens was also offered in a Betax shutter, you could keep your eyes open for one in that configuration. Having the barrel lens re-mounted into a shutter would be expensive; you'd end up with more invested than you could sell it for.

Mike in NY
9-Oct-2012, 18:40
Thanks for your responses everyone.

Jim, I've thoroughly enjoyed looking at some of the many photographs on your website - really interesting and imaginative!

Jim Galli
9-Oct-2012, 18:51
Thanks for your responses everyone.

Jim, I've thoroughly enjoyed looking at some of the many photographs on your website - really interesting and imaginative!

Thanks Mike. Welcome and best of luck on the 8X10 adventure.