PDA

View Full Version : badger brand field camera?

T. E.
10-Mar-2004, 13:19
Anyone seen or have news about the Badger Brand field camera? I saw that they were going to have one made, but was wondering what it would look like. Might be something I would be interested in as a LF-wannabe.

Rich Long
10-Mar-2004, 14:26
I'm assuming that it's going to be a Shen Hao knock-off, but I don't know anything for certain. I keep looking at Badger's web site for a picture, but no luck so far.

mitch rosen
10-Mar-2004, 15:08
I spoke with Jeff at Badger Graphics several months ago and he said the field camera was not a Shen Hao or a Tachihara.

gfen
10-Mar-2004, 15:17
The M2 is a Toho, is it possible that the other ones are, as well?

Kerry L. Thalmann
10-Mar-2004, 16:32
I spoke with Jeff at Badger yesterday and he said the first F1 field cameras would be shipping from China in about a week.

The M2 is a Toho, is it possible that the other ones are, as well?

Definitely not. The M2 is not made by Toho. It is a Chinease made clone of the Toho FC-45X. Toho does not make a heavier 4x5 monorail (ala the M1), nor do they make a wooden field camera.

Kerry

MIke Sherck
10-Mar-2004, 17:18
I spoke with Jeff at Badger yesterday and he said the first F1 field cameras would be shipping from China in about a week.

Too late! I bought a Wisner from Midwest Photo Exchange yesterday. I'm still grinning ear to ear... :)

mjs

Ken Cravillion
10-Mar-2004, 17:27
When Jeff gets them I will have one to review and conpare to my Shen-Hao.

Nick_3536
10-Mar-2004, 20:47
Other then the fact it's light what is the advantage of the light weight monorail versus the other monorail? Is it just weight?

gfen
11-Mar-2004, 07:14
Kerry:

Whoops! I've read that in a couple of different places, and just took to regurgitating the idea, myself.

I actually thought I read the Badger/Toho link on your updated review for the Toho. Clearly that's not the case.

Now, I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to try out the M2 who's also checked out the Toho (FC45?). The M2 is a pretty attractive price, and your praise of the Toho makes me think its a fine complement to my camera collection.

Leonard Evens
11-Mar-2004, 08:08
Nick,

I assume you are asking about the Badger M1 vs. the M2.

I have the Toho, and I am guessing about the M1 from the picture and specifications.

The M2 comes apart easily for transport, so it should be easier to carry it in a compact case. That was an important feature of the Toho, in addition to the very light weight, when I was deciding what to purchase about two years ago. It is not clear how the M1 comes apart from the picture and specifications. Otherwise, the M1 may in fact have more features than the M2. For example, it claims bellows extension of from 40 to 400 mm.

Leonard Evens
11-Mar-2004, 09:03
gfen,

From the what Jeff at Badger has been quoted as saying, the M2 is an exact copy of the Toho FC-45X. From the pictures, it certainly looks that way. The only difference I can see is some extra marks for the neutral shift and tilt positions. I would be happy to try it out and compare it to my Toho, but I'm not about to lay out $850 for the privilege.

Nick_3536
11-Mar-2004, 10:29
Thanks Leonard. Seems if I can live with the added weight the heavier camera would be a better choice but I think I'll wait and see what the first few buyers think.

Frank Petronio
11-Mar-2004, 12:34
So the Badger is a Chinese-made copy of a Japanese design? Isn't that, umm, wrong? Or at least not ethical?

(No offense to Jeff, who I have dealt with and has always been reliable and trustworthy.)

Ken Cravillion
11-Mar-2004, 13:42
I have used both the M-1 and M-2. The M-1 is quite a bit heavier then the M-2. The M-1 that I had for a week did not break down at all. You could slide the standards off the top of the geared rails for rise but then you'd still have those posts to deal with. I don't think is is meant to break down. It would be cumbersome to transport in the field IMO.

The M-1 also has a 12" rail.

I will also have the first F-1 to review when Jeff gets them and I go pick it up. I'll post my findings here and on my website.