PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a 617 format camera

ataim
4-Oct-2012, 12:34
I’m thinking about getting a 617 camera. There appears to be several to choose from. Cost is a concern, so a Linhoff or Fuji GX are not within my budget. I’m mostly looking at the Fuji G617. What is the general concusses of the Fotoman, Dayi or the Gaoersi? From what I can tell the good thing is that they take view camera lenses of which I have three lenses, 90mm 180 and 300. Any drawbacks?

George Pappas
4-Oct-2012, 13:27
Hello Paul,

I have a Dayi 6x12 and can speak very highly for it. Especially when you mention that you are on a budget. I chose the Dayi because it has a front rise and removable backs. I checked out the fotoman when I was looking but it appeared to me that they stopped production of their film camera line some time ago. I use use my view camera lenses on it with great effect. Depending on your mode of shooting, you will want/need a good groundglass - The Dayi groundglass was a simple affair that was very dark. My longe-time supplier (as with many others on this board) Bill Maxwell put together a high-lux screen that is terrific.

Given your question, my thoughts on potential drawbacks relate to your subject matter. If you are photographing landscape, you will be much better served if you have movements (front rise at a minimum). With these cameras, the more movements they have, the less table and more ungainly to use they become. This is a tradeoff you will have to navigate. If you can get your hands on a 5x7 view camera, you may be better served by cropping 5x7 sheet film. Of course, it will not be a portable, but you will have full movements and focusing precision.

Happy to answer any follow ups that you have.

Regards,
George

Corran
4-Oct-2012, 13:42
Have you considered a 6x17 back instead for your 4x5? I have a DaYi (that I'm selling :)) that works fine except it doesn't take lenses wider than 90mm (maybe a 75mm, haven't tried). So it would work with your lenses fine. The only drawback is the far left and right of the image are slightly cut off the longer the focal length. I did not notice it until I specifically read about it myself, but that may be a deal breaker for you. Being on a 4x5, you will have plenty of movements if your camera allows them.

Ed Bray
4-Oct-2012, 14:11
What 6x17 back fits a 4x5 camera? I am pretty sure that the largest back that will fit on a 4x5 camera is a 6x12.

vinny
4-Oct-2012, 14:13
What 6x17 back fits a 4x5 camera? I am pretty sure that the largest back that will fit on a 4x5 camera is a 6x12.
this one, available at badgergraphic or from Corran as mentioned above.
http://www.kgcphoto.com/Reviews_&_Tutorials/shen-hao_6x17_back.htm

Corran
4-Oct-2012, 14:25
Yes the DaYi and similar I guess is actually an extension back of a sort, with a separate "viewer" and then roll film back.

ataim
4-Oct-2012, 14:26
If you are photographing landscape, you will be much better served if you have movements (front rise at a minimum). With these cameras, the more movements they have, the less table and more ungainly to use they become. This is a tradeoff you will have to navigate. If you can get your hands on a 5x7 view camera, you may be better served by cropping 5x7 sheet film. Of course, it will not be a portable, but you will have full movements and focusing precision.

Happy to answer any follow ups that you have.

Regards,
George

I should have stated, but yes 90% landscapes. I have found myself cropping more and more into a panoramic view. I really want it to be portable. So its either a field 4x5 or a 617.

Have you considered a 6x17 back instead for your 4x5? I have a DaYi (that I'm selling :)) that works fine except it doesn't take lenses wider than 90mm

As above more portability (sp) so a 6x17 back is not an option, and 90mm is wide enough me. PM sent about your DaYi that you are selling:)

Thanks

Ed Bray
4-Oct-2012, 14:28
this one, available at badgergraphic or from Corran as mentioned above.
http://www.kgcphoto.com/Reviews_&_Tutorials/shen-hao_6x17_back.htm

I wish I'd know about that before splashing out for the Canham I would have hada decision to make, although had I bought one I might have got frustrated with the cut-off with longer lenses.

rdenney
4-Oct-2012, 14:35
Shen-Hao makes a 617 bed camera that provides movements and is a lot cheaper than a Technorama or similar.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/images/products/4813.jpg

Shen-Hao TFC-617B at Badger (https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2878)

It's more expensive than an add-on back, but doesn't impose the same limitations on focal lengths.

Rick "recalling also the Canham 617 holder for 5x7 cameras, but thinking it's pretty expensive compared to the Shen-Hao" Denney

Lachlan 717
4-Oct-2012, 14:39
Paul,

I have both the DaYi 617 Shift II (set up for my 72mm) and the Shen Hao 6x17 (non-folding, as in Rick's post above).

I can highly recommend both.

I tend to use the Shen almost exclusively, as it offers so many more advantages over the DaYi. Specifically, it is about the same size/weight as the DaYi, yet it allows me to use lenses from 72mm up to around 300mm (I use a 360mm Tele on it, and it should be able to handle the Fujinon 400mm tele).

The other big advantage is its movements. The Shen has full front and rear movements, whereas the DaYi only has front rise (and fall if you flip it).

If you are only going to use a single lens, and movements don't really worry you, and/or you want the speed of a P&S, then the DaYi is a really good option.

Kuzano
4-Oct-2012, 15:54

6X17 film backs for 4X5 set the film plane back from the normal film plane of the camera. By using the front standard back toward the film plane of the camera, the angle of light reaches out to the 17mm dimension on the long side. The Ground Glass and film holder mechanism are moved back to accommodate this.

Cesar Barreto
4-Oct-2012, 17:54
Hi, Lachlan.

Have you had any issues about the Shen-Hao roll film back?
I bought two for my 5x7' camera and both had problems concerning light trapping and film scratching.
But their 6x17cm camera always seems so attractive to me.

Lachlan 717
4-Oct-2012, 18:43
Hi, Lachlan.

Have you had any issues about the Shen-Hao roll film back?
I bought two for my 5x7' camera and both had problems concerning light trapping and film scratching.
But their 6x17cm camera always seems so attractive to me.

Hi, Cesar,

No problems whatsoever, but I use the DaYi back (I had the original Shen Hao 6x17 camera built around it, before they offered their own roll film backs).

It has a twin pressure plate (i.e. split down the middle, vertical), so it always makes good contact with the film.

You can buy one from a DaYi or Gaesori camera and have Mr Zhang at Shen Hao fit it to the camera. I think that BH Photo on eBay sells these.

Cesar Barreto
5-Oct-2012, 03:15
Thanks, Lachlan.

Mr Zhang is indeed a nice fellow and he offered to check or fix my backs, but once living in Brazil those simple things as sending a piece of equipment abroad for maitanance can be tricky, since there's always the risk of paying taxes twice. Not to mention the time lost in aduana offices on both ways.
I also have the DA Yi 6x17 camera and it's back works nicely, except the fact it had some light leaking which I managed to fix and some screws were loose in the beginning, but after I learned that my camera was bought just after a major earthquake near Shanghai, I had to forgive them for anything else.