PDA

View Full Version : Filter Settings for Saunders LPL 4550 Dichroic Head in Variable Contrast Printing

RedSun
4-Oct-2012, 06:25
Does anyone have the ready-made table for the filter settings? Along with the exposure adjustment factors?

There is a lot of info over the web, but I just have not found the right one?

Also the settings for an Omega D5 with the Super Dichroic II head?

This is for both Kodak and Ilford BW papers. Thx.

Peter De Smidt
4-Oct-2012, 06:43
The following might help: http://www.butzi.net/articles/imgs/vcce.pdf

RedSun
4-Oct-2012, 07:09
Yes, that is a nice one. But seems too complicated.

I found some info here. It is not really enlarger specific. I'm not sure how good the info is:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/printing-with-variable-grade-paper---darkoom-guide-4709

Peter De Smidt
4-Oct-2012, 07:44
Making highlight exposure constant for changes in contrast lead to the biggest improvement in my printing of any darkroom technique. It is worth the effort. Any general recommendations will only be generally true at best.

RedSun
4-Oct-2012, 08:10
I also have the D5V VC head with the Omega D5500/ProLab II. Will it give me better and more stable results than the color heads?

ic-racer
4-Oct-2012, 10:42
The package insert for Ilford paper gives a table that works very well with Durst and Omega color heads.
The only reason I can think of to use the Variable Condenser head over the Super Chromega II for any printing task would be if the Super Chromega were to break and you needed an immediate backup.

RedSun
4-Oct-2012, 11:37
I thought the BW VC heads would be better since they were made to print BW..... And you can change the contrast easily with the Kodak or Ilford multigrade filters.

Greg Blank
4-Oct-2012, 15:44
I think that VC heads where there is a preset filter value leave something to be desired. LPL uses a salmon colored "Magenta" with a true dichroic head you will have a greater amount control for a wider variety of images. I never placed lots of stock in preset values on charts either I have and do use a chart for my dichroic that gives 1 step values....but its just a starting point and not a hold fast. I use my eyes and mind to achieve the prints I visualize (I think those out wiegh all other tools- but my analyzer and step wedges are nice too :)

I thought the BW VC heads would be better since they were made to print BW..... And you can change the contrast easily with the Kodak or Ilford multigrade filters.

ic-racer
4-Oct-2012, 17:03
VC = Variable Condenser head (Omega VC head)
VC = Variable Contrast (LPL, Durst, etc not Omega condenser).

I think there is a understanding gap.

RedSun, what do you mean?

Shen45
4-Oct-2012, 17:19
If you really want to know the correct settings on your enlarger based on your paper, filter sets, lamp and developer used get hold of WinPlotter from the Viewcamerastore.com and a reflective densitometer and do the paper tests through your system. You will know exactly what "grade" each filter or head setting actually equates to. Doing these tests takes about an hour and the program is not at all expensive. When they are done you confidently know what a 90m or a grade 2 1/2 filter is really producing with your darkroom.

RedSun
4-Oct-2012, 20:01
VC = Variable Condenser head (Omega VC head)
VC = Variable Contrast (LPL, Durst, etc not Omega condenser).

I think there is a understanding gap.

RedSun, what do you mean?

I have not done any darkroom work in a long long time. So I'm a newbie now.

I own two Omega Variable Condenser enlargers (ProLab II and D5XL), also an Omega D5XL with color head and a Saunders 4550XLG with color head. All my BW papers are Kodak and Ilford multi-grade papers. I was trying to decide on which enlarger to use for BW printing. Of course, all can do a the job.

My first question is:

Does the color head offer anything more than the variable condenser head? It seems the variable condenser head is simpler to use.
If the color head is preferred over BW head, then it seems there are so many variations as to the paper used, enlarger used, filter method used (one or two filters) etc. Of course I can select a single enlarger and calibrate it. But I'll have to do it again when I open a new box of different paper....

Peter De Smidt
4-Oct-2012, 21:25
Oh, it's not that bad as long as you use paper from consistent suppliers, which you've done. I followed Mr. Butzi's method with my De Vere. It really wasn't very hard, and I've never found the need to redo the calculations. (I use Ilford MG FB VC). I'd pick the Saunders enlarger.