PDA

View Full Version : Building An Extension Lensboard

Chuck_1686
10-Mar-2004, 07:09
Pricing out some extension lensboards for my Ikeda (standard Linhof board) has got me eyeing the cans in the kitchen cabinet. I know many people have built these things. Wondering how you attached the can to the board? Anybody else have another way to build one. I don't have a machine shop so would need to use off the shelf parts.

Michael Veit
10-Mar-2004, 07:44
I reversed the board, found a can that snuggly hugged the light trap ring and apoxied it to it. It's not that the can snapped on or anything, but the can/ring combo created enough surface contact for me to trust the apoxy bond. It seems to work well and I haven't had any light leaks due to reversing the board.

Louis Jensen
10-Mar-2004, 09:13
I used some 3" diameter ABS "sewer" pipe and an epoxy to bond it to the lens board. I cut a front cover from Masonite and used some more epoxy to bond it to the pipe. You have to cut out the aluminum from the lens board so that you can attach the lens with a spanner wrench. My extension tube is 2" long. You need to cut the ABS pipe so that the front and back are parallel to each other. Total price, not counting labor, about $15.

Jim Rhoades
10-Mar-2004, 13:55
Whenever I "throw" a pristine Deardorff lensboard and lens out of my pack, dinging the corners I repair it with JB Weld. It's a opaque gray epoxy and you can sand it to shape with a fingernail emery board. If you sand the board and a tuna can it will stay forever.

Works great on repairing C/F Gitzo tripods too. The color is close and you can hardly see my three re-glues. Yeah, three, don't ask. I'm not a happy Gitzo camper.