PDA

View Full Version : Odd result: velvia slide came out as negative

SergeiR
1-Oct-2012, 10:12
Right. I am stumped, and my skill set at processing isnt all that great, so i am asking for collective brainstorm here.

Opened fresh set (i underline it - fresh, not expired) of velvia (100). Used E6 kit, as always did before - never had a glitch.

Result is weird - its very dense negative. Not positive. Negative.

I tried to rerun it through fresh batch of chemicals (i think i recall that you can do reprocessing with slides?) - no difference.
Seeing that we talking 8x10 slides - i am sooooo not happy about wasting two sheets, and of course wasting some more or screwing up good shots - not particularly tempting option for me.
Anyone can shed light from vast pool of collective expertise? Please?

Exhausted chemicals and my attempt on reprocessing was foolish? Or its something seriously wrong with batch of film?

Thanks, folks.

Sevo
1-Oct-2012, 10:30
Assuming a five or more bath kit (with exposure or fogging agent a separate step between developers), you might have swapped the primary and colour developer (omitting the fogging or exposure would result in a negative as well, but in that case it would be very weak). Assuming a three-bath (primary, fogging colour, blix) kit, you must have somehow screwed up in mixing, as the normally secondary (colour) developer contains a fogging agent, so that using it as the primary would result in all-black film.

vinny
1-Oct-2012, 11:07
By looking at your recent film color scans on flickr, I'd say something is very wrong with your process. The colors and look are very far off from lab processed (or my own) results unless of course that's what you're going for.

SergeiR
1-Oct-2012, 19:36
By looking at your recent film color scans on flickr, I'd say something is very wrong with your process. The colors and look are very far off from lab processed (or my own) results unless of course that's what you're going for.

My scanner is a tad off (i finally broke and ordered calibration target - should arrive soon), but i generally go for stranger colours just b/c i see them slightly differently. But not negative effect, thats for sure..

May be i got sleepy and somehow managed to get colour developer and first developer swapped.. We shall see on the morrow ;)

SergeiR
2-Oct-2012, 07:28
I.e thanks, guys. Looks like common conclusion is that i goofed up order. Which is i suspect absolutely right..

I just will try again tonight or tomorrow, making emergency backup with b&w (got series to shoot).