PDA

View Full Version : Tools or backup camera body while travelling?

Jeff Bannow
1-Oct-2012, 09:15
I'm already carrying around a small repair kit for minor repairs in the field (mostly Hasselblad repairs so far). As I am shooting more 4x5, I'm wondering if I should be preparing better for future LF problems. I'm trying to keep my kit lightweight since I fly with it a lot, but at the same time I don't want to be stranded without a camera while out of town.

I also use a rollfilm back on my Chamonix, and as a result have to remove the ground glass back a lot. I know some day I'm going to drop the glass, so that has led me to considering a backup back, or maybe a backup camera entirely. I don't think I would need spare lenses since I have multiple lenses already with me.

So, what do you all carry for in the field tools? Do any of you travel with a spare camera?

Also, anyone have a recommendation for a small pair or needlenose pliers? No China junk and needs to be light and small.

Jeff Bannow
1-Oct-2012, 09:22
I suppose I should mention that the tools and/or body would stay in the trunk for the duration of the trip unless needed.

Kodachrome25
1-Oct-2012, 09:33
I have a spare ground glass set for my 45N-2 at home. I also use a pair of roll film backs quite often too, just work at a steady pace and you will be fine. I find the crap hits the fan when I speed up too quickly and get out of sync with my normal pace or operation. As far as field tools, I keep one of those screwdriver pens that have caps on both ends, switchable sizes in the same pen in almost every bag. I also have pieces of black gaffers tape on darn near everything, tripod legs, lens shades, etc. I find gaffer's tape is by far the best tool out there in a pinch.

But a spare 4x5? For me, probably not although I do love the Chamonix enough to get a second one...

vinny
1-Oct-2012, 10:02
I carry a piece of gg sized plexi with magic tape on it as a spare.
Mini Husky screwdriver set. Super glue. Stovepipe wire. Zip ties. Gaff tape. Gerber multi tool has plenty of shitty tools on it.

Frank Petronio
1-Oct-2012, 10:54
Wera makes nice expensive German screwdrivers ;-)

A Hasselblad is 100x less reliable and repairable than a 4x5 but the back is the weak point - besides the glass, the springs will also fail sometimes (although I don't have a Cham to look at and judge but I've had Linhof arms and springs go bad so anything less could too).

I use a Sinar and have spares of everything pretty much, at least enough to function. I do keep an entire back assembly in a box in the larger travel case and it is easy to bring along just in case.

A good strategy for a spare might be something like a Crown Graphic, something that can be cheap and used as a beater, handheld, in the rain, etc.

Jeff Bannow
1-Oct-2012, 11:05
A good strategy for a spare might be something like a Crown Graphic, something that can be cheap and used as a beater, handheld, in the rain, etc.

Good idea. I assume I couldn't make a Crown accept Linhof boards, so I would have to remount the lenses though.

Frank Petronio
1-Oct-2012, 11:12
Just get one with a cammed 135 Xenar/Optar/Ektar for $10 more than one without, all good lenses and then you can handhold when the tripod breaks!

I've had pretty good luck lowballing cheap ones over the years although I do not own one currently. I know eBay listers want $600 for them but if you are patient you can do much better. And unless they were stored wet and nasty, the lenses are usually nice.

BradS
1-Oct-2012, 11:14
When I travel with 4x5, I usually bring along a very basic small format kit as backup. It used to be a Spotmatic with one lens or a pair of Nikons with a handful of lenses (depending on how "light" I needed to travel). Lately though, I just throw an old 6x9 folder in the bag and call it good. I guess this is more like disaster insurance.

The only cameras I've every had break in the field were a pair of Nikons...Last time I was in a small village in Peru at the time...repairs consisted of judicious use of packaging tape and using sunny-16 and the M90 shutter speed setting for the remainder of the trip.

Jeff Bannow
1-Oct-2012, 11:35
Just get one with a cammed 135 Xenar/Optar/Ektar for $10 more than one without, all good lenses and then you can handhold when the tripod breaks!

I've had pretty good luck lowballing cheap ones over the years although I do not own one currently. I know eBay listers want $600 for them but if you are patient you can do much better. And unless they were stored wet and nasty, the lenses are usually nice.

For under $200, this would seem like a good way to go. I could probably even store my tools inside the shell of the camera, making it a compact little emergency kit.

Jim Jones
1-Oct-2012, 12:13
A 4" Vice-Grip is handy; it's not the perfect tool for anything in the world, but the best imperfect tool for thousands of emergencies.

Drew Wiley
1-Oct-2012, 13:04
I have done all kinds of field repairs over the years. Inevitable when you spend so much time in the backcountry. A buddy recently dropped an expensive Zeiss lens and dinged the
filter thread. He beat it back out using a rock and stick, since none of us had a pair of pliers in the pack. Guess if it worked for Pithecanthropus it should work for us too. I usually carry some miniature screwdrivers and some sort of multi-tool or Swiss Army knife. The only plier brands which are still US made seem to be Crescent and Klein. German-made ones like Knipex are even better, if you can afford them. I sell them, but my customer base
is pro and doesn't blink an eye at spending $50 or $60 for a pair of pliers.

Jeff Bannow
1-Oct-2012, 13:15
I have done all kinds of field repairs over the years. Inevitable when you spend so much time in the backcountry. A buddy recently dropped an expensive Zeiss lens and dinged the
filter thread. He beat it back out using a rock and stick, since none of us had a pair of pliers in the pack.

Sounds like I need to carry a rock and a stick. :)

Drew Wiley
1-Oct-2012, 13:23
Ooops ... I meant to say Channel-Lock pliers are still US made, not Crescent. I still use my
Great-grandfather's Crescent needle-noses made in the 1800's; but a pair nowadays won't
last a week. And somewhere I misplaced a miniature pair of old US Channel-Locks adjustable in a size they no longer make, which was super light and nice for emergency use. Since I can't locate it, I bought a miniature US-mfg multi-tool with small plier on board. But the rock and stick concept still works best for certain other things - like the rattlesnake which slithered right into camp at dusk one night!

mikebarger
1-Oct-2012, 13:56
I carry and extra ground glass, small tool kit, duct tape, super glue, and my Hasselblad system in the trunk as backup.

Kuzano
1-Oct-2012, 13:57

Crap Frank... You just described my primary camera...except you did not mention the camo paint job on the exterior!

But, Hell Yeah... I'll carry the tool kit and when I have a problem, I'll sit down beside my car in the gravel and tear my camera apart, and then......(well 4 hours later digging through the gravel for tiny screws.. forgot to bring a magnet)

Sorry, When God breaks my camera, She's telling me to "Go HOME!!! Yur' done for the day!" (I do equate God to at least one of my three X-wives, if not all??)

Kuzano
1-Oct-2012, 14:03
Do what I do... mount the lens in a Crown lens board for my primary camera, and then (in my case) modify a Linhof board so the Graflex board will mount to it, in case I ever get a better camera than the Camo Paint Crown, such as a Linhof or other "picky about lensboards" camera.

BradS
1-Oct-2012, 14:16
Crap Frank... You just described my primary camera...

me too..but, then again, I know Frank has used more than a couple of Crown Graphics as his "primary" camera too.

Vaughn
1-Oct-2012, 14:37
Long trips I carried an extra GG in a 4x5 film box, and a pin-hole on a board in case I broke my lens. Small needle nose -- don't care about where and when it was made -- as long as it works the two times a year I need it. Small adjustable spanner (crescent wrench). Small screw driver and/or a Swiss Army knife (I like the Tinker -- a minimal knife with a philips screwdriver instead of the corkscrew).

Some electrical tape wrapped around a leg of the tripod for emergencies (repair bellows, etc).

Kirk Gittings
1-Oct-2012, 14:46
I carry tools and replacements for known weak parts like ground glass or bail springs.

Noah A
1-Oct-2012, 15:01
On my last few international trips my baggage was so close to the size limits (carry on) and weight limits (checked bag w/clothes, tripod, etc) that another camera wasn't really an option.

I carry a few precision screwdrivers in appropriate sizes, a spare bellows and a spare groundglass. Also a spare loupe in case I lose one, more filmholders than I normally use, gaffers tape, etc. Also don't forget whatever tools you may need to fix your tripod or head.