PDA

View Full Version : Found huge poster size color negatives

Twiztid83
1-Oct-2012, 01:40
I have 2 negatives from before 1979 because thats the date of the round shipping tube there in and were shipped or shipped from kodak rochester,ny im guessing. These are like 3x5 foot color negatives. One is a photo of a tribe member with like aztec ruins in the background. The negative says this side up on the sides.
What is this , and is it worth alot? I can take a pic of it if needed

Twiztid83
1-Oct-2012, 04:28
Here it is. It might be a tad smaller than 3x5 but its still very large. You cant quite make out all the detail in it because its very early morning. Anyone know what this is? It says this side to lamp on the top

Sevo
1-Oct-2012, 04:52
Presumably internegatives. These were commonly used as an intermediate step for billboard-size prints, photo murals etc. You'll probably not have purchased any copyright or right-of-use along with them, so the value will be rather negligible.

unixrevolution
1-Oct-2012, 05:35
Very cool...Internegative seems plausible, possibly a positive from a "banquet" camera, though I'd have to look closer to be sure. Does the film mention what kind of film stock it's made from anywhere in the margins?

dave_whatever
1-Oct-2012, 05:45
Looks like a positive not a negative. Possibly a cibachrome or an R3 enlargement made onto a clear base (is that possible?).

ic-racer
1-Oct-2012, 05:57
Looks like a 'positive' to me.
It is worth what you paid for it. Maybe more if you like the scene.

Sevo
1-Oct-2012, 06:02
Here it is.

Like the others said, that is positive. Probably Cibachrome if it held up that well for so long.

lenser
1-Oct-2012, 07:11
Cibachrome or a duratrans, either way, it looks like a big display image likely used for some sort of marketing display.

Vaughn
1-Oct-2012, 07:44
I would think it more likely Duratrans than Cibachrome if it was shipped by Kodak! But then, the 'chain' of evidence is not exactly strong.

Marketing display sounds like a good possibility. Was the image ever used in the large Coloramas in Grand Central Terminal (Station)?

Erik Gould
1-Oct-2012, 08:30
Duratrans is a good possibility. At the lab I worked for in the 90's we made mountains of those for all manner of backlit displays. Cibatrans too. Both could have beautiful color. Now this market is inkjet.

Twiztid83
1-Oct-2012, 10:58
Very cool...Internegative seems plausible, possibly a positive from a "banquet" camera, though I'd have to look closer to be sure. Does the film mention what kind of film stock it's made from anywhere in the margins?

No it does not mention anything about what film. I dont know if it is a film its pretty thick about 1-2mm and feels like a hard plastic. I am adding another picture. I got a total of 2 pictures ,the owner did not know what they were at the garage sale. It says the building that they were shipped on the yellow tube. Im guessing kodak because its the only photo place here in rochester,ny

Twiztid83
1-Oct-2012, 11:00
Here is the other one I got.

Twiztid83
1-Oct-2012, 11:08
Could this be the machine it came off from? Because they deff look like a panorama photo. I might be on to something here.
What would you people pay for it? Its for sale for the right price. The other photo I added is not that good of a picture of it. Its 2 people in a boat near a bridge with flowers all around them. I dont know how to take a good picture without the background in it.
I just measured mine and it comes up exactly 20"x 50" inches . That machine says it produces up to 20"x100" so could this be it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ILFOCHROME-P3X-PROCESSOR-20-51cm-ILFORD-CIBACHROME-PANORAMAS-FILM-E6-/310309657094?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483fe59a06

Sevo
1-Oct-2012, 11:35
Could this be the machine it came off from?

You said three foot wide? Then it can't, as that is too wide for this thing, which seems to be high volume rather than maximum width. But there have been 1m+ wide processors, the entire industry of backlit billboards in pre inkjet days depended on them. These were as widespread among labs and print services as 1m+ wide inkjets are nowadays - in the mid nineties you could have transparent displays of that size made locally in every major city.

What would you people pay for it?

The print cost might have been to the tune of maybe 300-500€ originally, more if it was hand printed fine art quality, less if it was a large series. Whether anybody would buy it will depend on the content. Which unfortunately does not show that much of a individual note that would qualify it as art - it is more like the stuff NatGeo staff photographers turned out by the dozen for each edition. Personally I would not blow any money on something that looks rather like a piece of travel agency decoration...

Twiztid83
1-Oct-2012, 11:42
I corrected myself in the last post. I never measured when I said 3x5 foot. They are 20x50 inches . I just measured them so is it possible now?

bob carnie
1-Oct-2012, 11:44
I think you have duratrans, probably worth nothing,, but don't believe me have it appraised at a museum.

I corrected myself in the last post. I never measured when I said 3x5 foot. They are 20x50 inches . I just measured them so is it possible now?

Twiztid83
1-Oct-2012, 11:45
The first photo I uploaded is beautiful but you cant see it from where I took the photo. It has like aztek ruins in the background and a man with a few animals . The second one is not that attractive as its just a boat with a man and woman with a bridge in the background and some bushes/flowers around them.

Twiztid83
1-Oct-2012, 11:50
I also bought the first ever kodaslide model A . In its leather box and it is in mint cond and includes everything. Works perfect. It was made 1915 I cant remember but somewhere around there. It was the first one ever produced. They were around 100+$ back then so thats alot of money now. It has to be worth a pretty penny. I spent $50 on it. You cant find much info on it anywhere besides what I printed out. Its very rare and is actually in the rochester museum in worse quality than mine plus the original leather large case and everything else that comes with it. Anyone interested?

Bob Salomon
1-Oct-2012, 11:58
If you are selling it you must list the price that you are selling it for.

Twiztid83
1-Oct-2012, 12:04
I dont really know what there worth thats why I was just taking an offer. If thats not allowed in this forum then I wont be selling sorry. I have to find what there worth the photos and the kodaslide

I just found this info out

Who invented Duratrans?

Eastman Kodak Company, 1979

Which is cool because I have one that was shipped on 1979 and one shipped 3 years before that. So that statement would be wrong correct?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-koda-slide-projector-model-7-77545172 Here is a photo of a kodaslide model a

Bob Salomon
1-Oct-2012, 12:41
"Classifieds (for sale or wanted ads) should only be posted in the "For Sale/Wanted" sub-forum, which is open only to those who have been members for 30 days or more."

Sevo
1-Oct-2012, 12:55
I just found this info out

Who invented Duratrans?

Eastman Kodak Company, 1979

Which is cool because I have one that was shipped on 1979 and one shipped 3 years before that. So that statement would be wrong correct?

Well, if you have evidence it was shipped in 1976, that merely means it must be Cibachrome or some other transparent display print process that preceded Duratrans.

Kirk Gittings
1-Oct-2012, 13:57
not Aztec but more likely Inca. Machu Pichu in background.

bob carnie
1-Oct-2012, 14:03
Your right.. 1979 was the launch of Duratrans in Canada I believe.

Well, if you have evidence it was shipped in 1976, that merely means it must be Cibachrome or some other transparent display print process that preceded Duratrans.

Twiztid83
1-Oct-2012, 16:21
not Aztec but more likely Inca. Machu Pichu in background.

Wow you hit the nail on the head on Machu Pichu . Thanks for that info. I dont know how you ppl can remember these things. You belong on who wants to be a millionaire