PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody help me get started with LF photography?

FlorianDeleal
1-Oct-2012, 00:32
Hello all,
I've just signed up for this forum, shortly after discovering it by chance as I was searching for some Lartigue photographs. I've always had a deep interest in photography, in its history and in its best practitioners, but my actual experience with a camera is limited to the pictures I take with my iPhone and to the ones I once took with a Nikon FM-10 for six months before I lost it - along with its beautiful strap... So as you can tell, while I don't have much experience with either digital or film photography, I have dabbled in both. I was so discouraged after I lost my Nikon camera that I didn't feel right taking another chance with film photography - the exorbitant prices for the film and shanty work by mainstream film processors (Costco, CVS) all just left a very bad taste in my mouth. Despite all this I want to pursue photography once more, but I want to pursue it seriously. I was wondering if some people here could help me get off the right track. I would like to know where I could purchase a LF camera, preferably used and any specific books or manuals that may help clarify the technical aspects of the machine. If there are any threads devoted already to what I'm asking, a link to that thread would also be welcome. In all, I would just like to some general advice on how to get started, how much I would probably be spending, etc.

Glad to be here and thanks !

FD

Brian Ellis
1-Oct-2012, 04:00
Reading a book is a good way to get started. Steve Simmons book is a good one to start with. Used cameras can be bought at many places. There are dealers such as MidWest Photo Exchange and KEH, there are private sellers here (after you've been a member for 30 days), photo.net, and ebay, I've seen an occasional LF camera on Craigs List. You can obtain plenty of information about specific cameras from the first page of this forum.

Mark Barendt
1-Oct-2012, 04:18
If you haven't found it already the info pages here http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ contain most of what you need.

LF is much different than what you've done so far.

I do know a guy that, as far as I know, only has to cameras; his iPhone and an 8x10 field camera. His subject matter and style of shooting and the output expected are very different for each.

You may want to specify what subjects you are interested in so that you can get a bit more focused responses.

Len Middleton
1-Oct-2012, 04:18
FD,

In addition to Brian's suggestion, you should look into a course or workshop in LF photography as a good beginning point. With a relatively modest investment, this will provide you a hands-on introduction to better visualize how to use the equipment, versus trying to get it solely from reading. You will also have a physical result you can examine to better understand the level of quality one invests into in going the LF route.

It will also provide you with a better understanding of LF issues versus film issues that you experienced in shooting 35mm. With much higher film costs per exposure and with the nature of the LF process slowing you down, you will likely shoot less, but improve you ability to "see" and visualize.

If you wish to continue the contacts you make in the course or workshop might be extremely helpful. The instructor might be able to provide you with suggestions on where and what to buy, including used equipment from people he knows. Other students might be individuals you would like to continue your exploration of LF.

You mentioned the issue of processing; you will find that many shoot B&W and process their own film, and then may either print it in a wet darkroom or scan it and print it digitally.

Some other things to consider...

Hope that helps,

Len

Brian C. Miller
1-Oct-2012, 08:56
We have a number of members in the Los Angeles area. Perhaps if you'd like to be their camera assistant for a weekend or two, they'll show you lots stuff and you'll get valuable information about LF.

I learned about LF from "The Camera," by Adams. But my real education was from buying a Graflex Super Graphic (which I still use), and running through Polaroid film. The current instant film is Fuji, and you'll need a Fuji PA-145 back or a Polaroid 405 back. It's really fun to use the Fuji film, and the negative portion can be recovered without too much mess.

BrianShaw
1-Oct-2012, 09:20
Start by reading the LF Homepage!

E. von Hoegh
1-Oct-2012, 09:29
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Alan Gales
1-Oct-2012, 09:33
You mentioned the exorbitant prices of film so it sounds like you are on a budget. My advice is to buy all your equipment used. There are a lot of bargains out there. Some people practically give away their old monorail outfits, enlargers, darkroom equipment, etc. You can check your local Craigslist, Ebay and after being a member for a while, this forum's for sale section.

It may seem a bit daunting at first but you have instantly made a whole bunch of new friends by joining this forum. If you have a question you need answered first search this forum. If you can't find your answer then post it on here and someone will be happy to help you.

The most important thing is to have fun! Welcome to the forum.

Alan

Bill_1856
1-Oct-2012, 10:01
ADVICE: Go DIGITAL.
Large format is expensive, tedious, and IMO not a good place to start learning.

BrianShaw
1-Oct-2012, 10:09
Now ~that's~ an interesting perspective being offered by a former forum member. :eek:

FlorianDeleal
1-Oct-2012, 10:50
Thank you all so much! I didn't expect the help to arrive so earnestly, a testament to this forum, no doubt. All advices are duly noted.

@Bill_1856 - I appreciate the candor. While I am sympathetic to your views, it's precisely because LF photography is expensive and tedious that I wish to devote my time to it. As Len Middelton similarly noted, LF demands a level of patience and care not quite seen in digital (for the layperson, at least). In my view (as I'm sure many of you would agree), people take too many photographs of too many things so I want to move away from all that.
@Len - I will look into that, thank you.
@Alan - Thanks, I will! God forbid that photography ever became a chore.
@Mark Barendt - I am thinking primarily of portraits, landscapes/cityscapes, and interiors of houses, etc.

Mike Anderson
1-Oct-2012, 11:03
You need to think about your film dev and printing or scanning process. You can develop BW yourself in a daylight tank (assuming you don't have a darkroom) and get a scanner, or send it out (color or BW) for development and scanning. Either way you'll probably need to learn image processing (e.g. Photoshop) software.

Or you could print in a darkroom.

Bill_1856
1-Oct-2012, 11:20
@Bill_1856 - I appreciate the candor. While I am sympathetic to your views, it's precisely because LF photography is expensive and tedious that I wish to devote my time to it. As Len Middelton similarly noted, LF demands a level of patience and care not quite seen in digital (for the layperson, at least). In my view (as I'm sure many of you would agree), people take too many photographs of too many things so I want to move away from all that.

Making good pictures is not about technique, and it is very easy to get bogged down while learning large format before you know how to compose. I still recommend that you learn the basics with digital equipment. If you lose interest before you become even miminally proficient with view cameras, film, and darkrooms, don't blame me.

DrTang
1-Oct-2012, 12:08
It's a bit more problematic now that 4x5 polaroid film is kaput

in the olden daze..one could buy a box or two of 55 and immediately see what all the knobs and dials did

now ya gotta wait for the lab, or you to get around to developing - - so I think now..copious notes on each shot would be best

also..I suppose taking a digital camera with manual adjustment possible along to test/experiment with exposure as well as document the camera set up

Heroique
1-Oct-2012, 14:17
I was so discouraged after I lost my Nikon camera that I didn’t feel right taking another chance with film.

Just a caveat – you’ll be losing items all the time in this game!

Not to worry, it’s not you, it’s all of us who must suffer this LF malady.

A fun thread of grief:

Poll of forgetfulness — items lost, dropped, or left behind (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?63716-Poll-of-forgetfulness-—-items-lost-dropped-or-left-behind&highlight=lost[/url] )

I once left behind my Ries tripod standing by a mountain road, but it was still there after I turned around and drove back many miles to rescue it. Not all my stories end with a smile. But even when I add up all the frowns, they still don’t come close to cancelling out the joy of our work.

BradS
1-Oct-2012, 14:20
gone too are the days of two hour E-6 processing (unless you're one of the lucky few who live in a major metropolitan area). When I started out, I would shoot a box (10 sheets) of film in the morning and have slides on the light table in time for afternoon coffee. Now, getting E-6 done is a two week ordeal.

Jim Noel
1-Oct-2012, 14:24
You should contact the Photography department at Orange Coast College. They are not too far from you and may still have large format classes.

Mark Barendt
1-Oct-2012, 16:59
I am thinking primarily of portraits, landscapes/cityscapes, and interiors of houses, etc.

LF will work great for those.

There is lots to learn with LF but it's only as complicated as you make it.

The cameras are truly simple, the only things that make them "harder to use" are that they are fully manual and very flexible.

None of the skills are that tough to learn.

unixrevolution
2-Oct-2012, 11:49
I can't speak about what worked for others, but as for me:

Start out with a 35mm film SLR. All manual. Use it exclusively for a month or two, shooting only black and white film. It'll give you a good grounding in the basics.

After getting good results consistently, get a 35mm or APS digital SLR. They are cheap nowadays. Use it to practice and review your results instantly. This will help you learn a little quicker.

Before you go LF, read the LF Photography home page, and these two books: The Camera and The Negative, both by Ansel Adams. I haven't read the third in the series yet, but you will probably want to read that too if you're doing the full analog workflow. I'm Figital at the moment, so after I get a good negative I'm on the computer in Photoslop.