PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy L.F. without film-holder & blank lens board

Bruce McCrory
8-Mar-2004, 16:44
This is not a question. And, might get lost in another post:

For those who are looking to buy Large Format for the first time....

First, foremost, and why it isn't listed in the intro-page is beyond me, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A CAMERA BEFORE YOU HAVE A GOOD FILM HOLDER AND BLANK LENSBOARD!!!!

Pick your format, and have these two items on hand when your prized piece of equipment arrives. Oh, put new batteries into your biggest, baddest flashlight. When the joy of your day arrives, run into the darkroom, or bathroom (light seal everything), slap the blank board into the frame. Open the bellows to its maximum extension and just before shoving the film holder into the back, TOSS the flashlight -- ON, of course -- into the bellows cavity.

Turn the lights off and wait for your eyes to adjust to black.

There are only three professional bellows making companies in the world that I am aware of. I've contacted all three; and your choice, if you are like me, won't be based on cost.

Lesson learned! Bruce McCrory, with a black christmas tree. Or, as another said "having a religious experience".

Steve Hamley
8-Mar-2004, 17:58
Bruce,

Welcome to the world of vintage gear - I assume this is older gear since new cameras are not usually equipped with "holey" bellows. You should never buy a 15+ year old camera or lens without factoring in a new bellows, shutter CLA, and glass cleaning to get rid the decades of built-up haze.

There's nothing wrong with older stuff, but generally speaking, the best buy is lightly used current products. Bringing old gear up to the functionality of new stuff is likely to cost you as much or more than slightly used current gear.

If you buy old, be prepared to CLA and replace worn parts, or do a "work around" (like throwing the darkcloth over your pinholed bellows before you make an exposure). For some strange reason people tend to believe decades-old large format gear is immune to aging and is as serviceable as new.

Steve

steve simmons
8-Mar-2004, 18:17
Now that you've taken the plunge here is some reading that might help

www.viewcamera.com go to the section called Free Articles. There are several that might be helpful

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone is a book that will a good guide

steve simmons

S. Preston Jones
8-Mar-2004, 18:40
While it might seem that a recent new camera would have a good and light tight bellows, that is not always the case. A few years ago I was teaching at a large format workshop and was showing attendees how to check for light leaks using a small light bulb in the extended bellows as mentioned above. One of the teachers had purchesed a new view camera which was delivered just before he left home to come to the workshop. We extended the bellows on this new camera and when we put the light into the camera, it glowed like a lampshade. Upon examining the bellows it was discovered that the bellows should have made of both inner and outer layers of bellows material and the inner layer was not there. This was a camera sold by a well known field camera manufacturer. So yes you should check your camera even it it is new. By the way, that was the only bellows I have ever seen which leaked light like a sieve.

Ron Bose
8-Mar-2004, 21:12
Hi Bruce,

There are many of us out here using ancient cameras (Ansco 8x10) as well as newer ones (Sinar & Linhof) and I'm sure that my bellows have a few pinholes.

I don't worry about it due to the fact that I wrap my darkcloth around the camera bellows and cover the rear of the camera including the film-holder. This way the cloth acts as a large lens shade (although I use the Lee as well) and will reduce the risk of damage due to light-leaks via bellows pin-holes or a leaky film-holder.

There are too many things in life to get stressed about other than wondering if my bellows are totally light-proof and my film-holders completely tight. Of course checking a brand-new camera is useful as a replacement under warranty is a factor.

If I'm honest, the reason I haven't done the flash-light test is because the result would likely be me having to spend MORE money !! You know, like looking for problems which may or may not be an issue ...

My theory is 'go out and shoot' then see if your negs are wrecked by leaks ... then worry about it .....

(I'm just itching to get out there, less testing, more shooting. Winter's been here long enough. Just shoot it !!)

Lloyd Lim
8-Mar-2004, 23:27
Try going to http://medfmt.8k.com/bronbellows.html and read up on the various bellows repairs techniques. However, I would admit that really old bellows would be hard to repair.

For making your own bellows, try the following site http://www.cyberbeach.net/~dbardell/bellows.html

Just think about it.. you can get an old folder camera for $5-$30 at ebay and yet, certo6 is selling the same folder camera for $100 and above after a CLA. Look at the amount of labour needed to get old items up to usable status....

Mark_3632
9-Mar-2004, 09:02
Part of the fun of older cameras is the rebuilding of the camera itself. Shade tree mechanics of the photo world you might say. We all have different needs and wants but it is true that a view camera is reletively useless without a film holder. Lens boards can be made from foam core until one can be made or bought.

You did forget to mention film though. A film holder is a drink coaster without film.

Andy tymon
9-Mar-2004, 10:10
Hey Bruce I went through the same thing too! I took my camera off in to the darkroom and behold my very own planetarium, alas none of the constellations looked familiar and so decide that I must have a holey bellows!

As the bellows still worked (?)and I had no cash, I decide to patch the holes with black acrylic paint mixed with pva glue which I applied to the inside(make sure you rack the bellows out as far as possible and don't fold them back till the glue is dry).I then dressed the outside in black gaffer tape and it worked fine until I plucked up the courage to make a new bellows.

I think the reason that bellows cost so much is that it's a very boring and tedious to make one. But if you can stand a little boredom and are a little crafty you can make your own. http://www.srv.net/~vail/ I used this website to work out how to make mine and if you have the old bellows it's easier because you can just measure the dimensions of the old ones and use them for the new. The only drawback to making your own is searching for a suitable material. Have fun!

Bruce McCrory
9-Mar-2004, 10:25
Thank you, all, for the supporting comments.

Preston clarified my original intent for the announcement. New, or 100 years, I'll have the flashlight, blank board, and film holder ready when the bad boy arrives. Better, the latter two being with the machine. Flashlights can be found at the corner drugstore cheaper than basic shipping costs.

Live and learn. I have a lot of learning, still.

I had factored a new bellows into the equation. Just had no idea how hard it would be to find a company that made them. These are the three I know of currently in business: Western Bellows, Eliwanda, California; Turner Bellows, New York; and Camera Bellows, UK. The camera makers listed in the retailer's section generally send their own work to one of these companies. I had a good thread going with Lotus about sources.

The glowing urchin (frames and threads) is enroute to California right now.

Ready for lenses and filters questions? (Bruce -- digging deep for more cash.)

Paul Levin
9-Mar-2004, 15:46
The Jim Stone book Steve Simmons suggested is a good beginner's book. Mr. Simmons own book, Using The View Camera, is another excellent beginner's guide. It was my favorite when first starting out. (And I bought them all.)