PDA

View Full Version : Presentation of 8x10 contacts

John Kasaian
30-Sep-2012, 21:43
I've got a few photographs I'd like to donate to silent auctions to benefit charities. These are B&W contacts, mainly landscape, aerials and historic architecture. I am at a loss as to how to "present " them. These will be displayed on tables at the auction and a simple drymount on matboard won't do (at least i think it won't.) I'm thinking of an overmat, perhaps, maybe a simple frame or "frameless" floating watchamacallit?
Anyway, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Daniel Stone
30-Sep-2012, 23:30
I'd personally do these things:

-Mount to a "standard" mat size(overmat and backing board), for 8x10 I'd go with 16x20
-Go with a 4-ply overmat, or if you're feeling really nice, 8-ply. Personally I'd stick with white or a 'bone'(very slightly off white) color-wise for your mat color
-Place the matted(over mat included) into a 16x20 polypropylene presentation bag, the kinds that are designed for this very purpose. It will allow the print to be displayed, in the mat, but also keep grubby fingers off of your hard work before someone decides to bid on it ;)
-If you have a framer you use and can recommend, maybe tuck one of their cards in the back, with a note written on the card(from you) recommending their services... This is optional, but I've found that most people not directly(even indirectly) connected with the artistic comm. can get lost without this kind of thing. You as the artist recommending a local service can help them, and potentially help you with discounts on future work you might get done @ that shop, since you are advertising for them... again, just an idea.

Oh... include a personal general note from yourself, or a general 'artist's statement describing yourself and your work. Maybe even something about the specific print you're putting in front of their eyes.

Again, just some things that I've found to be beneficial when gifting prints, or donating them. Heck, put your contact info on there so they can come and buy some more if they really like your work :p

-Dan

John Kasaian
1-Oct-2012, 06:40
Great ideas! Thanks!