PDA

View Full Version : Broken front standard

Noah B
30-Sep-2012, 21:01

Hey all, as you can see my camera got damaged in my photo backpack recently. It's an Eastman 33a view camera, not sure the year. I tried to glue the part back together but the spacing is off for the lensboard and light easily gets through. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could doctor this problem up? I thought about contacting Richard Ritter, but I only paid 200 for this camera with the idea that I would not put any money into it. I'm at a crossroads on what to do with this.

C. D. Keth
30-Sep-2012, 21:57
Acquainted with any cabinetmakers or home woodworkers? The right way to fix that would be to clean off all the dried glue and then either peg it with dowels or tight through-cut mortise and tenons and glue it up. It's a bit sensitive since it's old wood and a repair has already been attempted.

TheDeardorffGuy
2-Oct-2012, 00:12
Get a bottle of TITEBOND glue. Wet the existing glue. Wipe it off. Get a small bar clamp. glue and clamp. Check for flatness. Let dry a day or two. It aint rocket science....

DKirk
2-Oct-2012, 06:23
Use a stanley knife or simmilar to scrape off the glue, use a medium grade sand paper to further key the surfaces. Apply glue where needed, clamp and allow the glue to set. The main thing is to ensure that both surfaces are clean and dry-fit together accurately prior to gluing back together.

Noah B
2-Oct-2012, 20:06
Thanks ken, studying at university in rocket science now