PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight 8x10 Advice

ThePenguin
30-Sep-2012, 05:24
I currently have a Burke&James 8x10 Field Camera (Red Bellows) and it's way to heavy for me.

- Almost only shoot with a 210mm lens.

- Mostly in the field, could be some rough weather sometimes.

- I don't need much movements nor extension (even if much movements could be nice)

- I need a lightweigh body

What are my alternatives?

Thank you!

SergeiR
30-Sep-2012, 05:58
If you can fork out 4k - Chamonix 8x10 would do the trick

Jim Noel
30-Sep-2012, 06:35
Almost any 8x10 flat bed or field camera would be lighter. The Folmer & Schwing Universal is by far the lightest of the flat bed cameras and has the most movements. A Tachihara is relatively light, as is the Wehman if you want a newer camera. Even a Kodak 2D is lighter than the B&J.

jeroldharter
30-Sep-2012, 07:18
Of course it depends on how light you want to go and how much you want to spend.

Wehman is excellent. That's what I use. He made a lightweight version which was the standard version with lots of holes drilled in the aluminum shell. I have the standard model which weighs ~8 pounds. The litweight is ~1 pound lighter.

A Canham lightweight would be a good choice and is available new.

My choice were I buying now would be a Ritter 8x10 which is the lightest available (~6.5 pounds), has good bellows options, and has asymmetrical rear swing which I could never understand until I started using it. I would not want an 8x10 without it now. Makes focusing so much easier. Ritter has a DVD you can buy showing the use of his cameras.

John Kasaian
30-Sep-2012, 07:56
The Gowland is one of the lightest I know of.

Michael Jones
30-Sep-2012, 08:12
Been there with the B&J as my first 8x10. Jerold & John's advice is similar to mine. Used Wehman's show up at about $1800 or so. My pick is the Canham metal 8x10 light & instinctive to use.

Good luck.

Mike

vinny
30-Sep-2012, 08:28
If you can fork out 4k - Chamonix 8x10 would do the trick

or $3050 plus shipping if you buy it new from the manufacturer.

ThePenguin
30-Sep-2012, 09:19
Thanks! Allright, how about the Zone IV Ultralight? 3-4k is too much, but maybe 1,5-2k. I dont mind buying used gear.

Alan Gales
30-Sep-2012, 09:36
I had a back fusion so lightweight but sturdy is very important to me. I purchased a used Wehman for $1500 and really like it. For a landscape camera it has plenty of movements and folds up into a protective clam shell.

You can look at the Wehman website for info. Bruce is no longer making new cameras and they don't come up on the used market often.

Frank Kistemann
30-Sep-2012, 10:01
Did you look into Argentum cameras? While I don't have any personal experience with them, they seem to be well built and some models meet all of your criteria, including the price for a new one. Just check out http://www.argentumcamera.com. I believe there's also a review about the factory on french site www.galerie-photo.com.

Frank

Matus Kalisky
30-Sep-2012, 11:55
I recall that Wehman 8x10 was one of the lightest camera in that format (around 3.5 kg if my memory serves me well). It seems that these are no longer in production though. Then there are cameras from Richard Ritter - his 8x10 is around 3kg.

Miguel Curbelo
30-Sep-2012, 15:27
My Shen Hao TFC810 weighs 3.6Kg, and for a new camera it is comparatively inexpensive.

Jeff Keller
30-Sep-2012, 15:59
Isn't the "new" Ritter one of the lightest 8x10 cameras?
http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

I'm happy with 4x5 and have no experience with 8x10, but when Richard Ritter came out with his new 8x10, the specifications seemed pretty impressive.

Jeff Keller

Maris Rusis
30-Sep-2012, 16:21
When I go out in the field with my "heavy" Tachihara triple extension camera plus lenses plus holders plus backpack plus tripod plus .....etc, etc, I'm carrying about 26 kilograms. If the camera weighed nothing the total comes to 21 kilograms. A lightweight camera is worth searching for but the gain is small compared to the rest of the gear.

Alan Gales
30-Sep-2012, 16:49
A lightweight camera is worth searching for but the gain is small compared to the rest of the gear.

You sure have that right!

John Kasaian
30-Sep-2012, 18:31
A simple hobo style box camera with helical focusing dedicated to your 210mm lens. You can make an offset drilled lensboard to supply limited movements.
Rob the helical off an old plastic Graflex and the back from your B&J. Make a box out of aluminium or baltic birch plywood. I wouldn't think it would be a difficult job.
Heck you could even handhold it and save the wieght of a tripod.

Frank Petronio
30-Sep-2012, 18:37
A simple hobo style box camera with helical focusing dedicated to your 210mm lens. You can make an offset drilled lensboard to supply limited movements.
Rob the helical off an old plastic Graflex and the back from your B&J. Make a box out of aluminium or baltic birch plywood. I wouldn't think it would be a difficult job.
Heck you could even handhold it and save the wieght of a tripod.

Good idea!

Michael Roberts
2-Oct-2012, 06:50
If you can find an old Rochester Optical Company King 8x10, they weigh only 5lbs and have 24+inch extension. Front R/F and tilt, rear tilt and swing, no shift. Extremely compact and lightweight. My favorite for backpacking. I had to replace the bellows and chisel out a groove for the rib lock on modern holders.

Kerry L. Thalmann
2-Oct-2012, 11:09
When I go out in the field with my "heavy" Tachihara triple extension camera plus lenses plus holders plus backpack plus tripod plus .....etc, etc, I'm carrying about 26 kilograms. If the camera weighed nothing the total comes to 21 kilograms. A lightweight camera is worth searching for but the gain is small compared to the rest of the gear.

But, there is a domino effect. A lighter camera can mean a lighter tripod and tripod head. A more compact camera, can mean a smaller, lighter pack to carry it in, etc. It all adds up.

When I was doing a lot of backpacking, I seriously looked at everything in my kit, both camera gear and camping gear. I cut over 10 pounds from my 4x5 kit (lighter camera, lighter tripod/ballhead, smaller pack, etc.) and over 24 pounds off my total pack weight (from 65 pounds to 41). I saved 1/2 pound on filters. It may not sound like much, but that kind of scrutiny of every item adds up to big weight savings. Which means covering more ground in less time and having more energy at the end of the day to devote to photography.

Kerry

John O'Connell
5-Oct-2012, 05:55
Some comments on "lightweight" 8x10 . . .

I use the third-lightest Gowland: it has an 8x10 rail and the 32" bellows. (Peter said he made 2 of them. I've always wondered where the other one is.)

I find that the weight of the camera is not the big problem with 8x10, and I would just look for any field camera in the 12lb./5.5kg (or less) weight range. Holders weigh a ton, and I only carry four of them. Plus the equipment is big, and even my backpack is relatively heavy.

I have not been successful in using a lightweight tripod with my 8x10. I went back to the giant aluminum Manfrotto after some vibration issues with CF pods. Even with short lenses you've got a lot of cantilever going on with an 8x10.

You might be able to get away with something like a Hobo if you're really using a 210mm as your main lens, as few 210s have big image circles on 8x10. Or a Kodak 2D--no front tilt but very lightweight.

Jon Shiu
5-Oct-2012, 08:49
There is a kit camera called a "Bender" that weighs only about 6 lbs. It's weak point is the spring back, which is hard to insert the holder without disturbing the position. If you could graft on a Calumet bail back it would work good.

Jon

Drew Wiley
5-Oct-2012, 11:23
I sorta disagree that a lightwt camera is best matched with a lightwt tripod. An extended
bellows on a breezy day is basically a synomym for a kite; and something needs mass.
But if wt is the utter priority, I do own a Feisol graphite tripod which weighs less than half
my regular Ries wooden one. Filmholders are the real problem. Cutting down lens wt is easy
if you just avoid big clunky plasmats. Backpacks are also an easy subject if you learn how
to use things like bubble packing and fomecore board rather than that heavy thick rubber
padding typical of camera packs per se. I like to wrap gear in a down jacket - keeps it
insulated as well as cushioned. I've used a Phillips folder for a long time - the modern equivalent would be a Chamonix 8X10. I like it as much for its simplified no-nonsense
operation and resistance to wind as for its comparatively light weight.

Philippe Grunchec
6-Oct-2012, 04:04
My 8x10 Cham is still for sale!