PDA

View Full Version : Epson 10000XL ---how to solve the scan lines problem?

bobpin
24-Sep-2012, 11:26
I bought a second hand Epson 10000XL photo scanner and found that there are scan lines on the image when scanning film negatives. I've sent it to clean the sensor but the problem is still there. Anybody know how to fix it? Thanks

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu222/bobpin/problem%20images/test600006copy_zpsc7f07008.jpg

bob carnie
24-Sep-2012, 12:41
I have owned two of these units both have the same problem, getting fixed will cost probably more than you paid.. sorry wish I could help.. I will watch this thread myself.

I bought a second hand Epson 10000XL photo scanner and found that there are scan lines on the image when scanning film negatives. I've sent it to clean the sensor but the problem is still there. Anybody know how to fix it? Thanks

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu222/bobpin/problem%20images/test600006copy_zpsc7f07008.jpg

frotog
25-Sep-2012, 07:48
I have the previous model of this scanner - 1640xl I believe? I also had a similar problem with lines. A scanner tech talked me through removing the glass and carefully cleaning the scanner bar. The lines are due to dust somewhere in the sensor's path. Maybe you should attempt removing the glass and carefully hit it with some compressed air?

Jon Shiu
25-Sep-2012, 08:37
I had an old scanner that banded and got rid of it by doing a few scans with it oriented on it's side.

Jon

Peter Mounier
25-Sep-2012, 10:06
I'm with frotog on this one. I think it's dust on the scanner bar based on the fact that it is very similar to the line that shows up on scans from the Betterlight scan back when there's dust on the sensor. It won't be easy to see the speck, and if you can't see it, it'll be hard to be sure it's clean before you reassemble the unit.

Peter

SURF
26-Sep-2012, 06:34
It can be a dust somewhere on a glass on the area where the scanner calibrates before actual scan. Sometimes something like "lamp calibration" helps on different scanners. (I know nothing about Epson 10000XL)