PDA

View Full Version : changing the bellows of my Deardorff V8

Juergen Cullmann
7-Mar-2004, 10:27
Hello,

I own a Deardorff V8 with Frontswing. I now want to change the bellows because of several light-leaks. I want to send it to camerabellows in UK. They say, they need the bellowsframes from the camera.

I don´t know how to get the frames off. Is anyone able to explain to me how to do this? Please try to say it in simple words because I´m writing from Germany an my English is not very good.

If I can not get the frames off, would you send the complete camera to Camerabellows? s anybody in the list who purchased a bellows for his Deardorff at camerabellows. What are your experiences?

Thank you for your help

Jürgen

CP Goerz
7-Mar-2004, 10:35
If you look around the inside rim of the bellows with the back taken off you'll see about 12 screws, once removed you'll then have the slightly trickeir job of removing the front ones. Pull the bellows out a bit near the front(you are replacing the bellows so don't worry) and then you'll be able to get access to the front ones.

If the bellows Co has to make frames they will charge you quite a bit so its worth the effort to get the frames. You only need send them the frames as they don't need the old bellow material, it'll save you postage too. The Bellows Co is excellent! They have worked on a ton of my cameras and they have always done an A+ job.

CP Goerz.

tim atherton
7-Mar-2004, 12:23
BTW Juergen,

When I got bellows from them for my Deardorff I jsut sent them accurate measurments (but I can see how sending in the frames would ensure an accurate fit)

John Kasaian
7-Mar-2004, 22:10
Juergen,

I've never taken the bellows off the front standard, but I have on the rear. As CP says, its pretty simple but I'll add one caveat: Some bellows frames were attached with screws with their heads on the outside of the rear standard, screwing into the bellows frame. All the ones I've seen utilized plated screws. Some 'dorffs have screws with the heads on the inside of the bellows screwing the frame to the rear standard. These I've been told, were blackened and have often corroded over the years making it hard to unscrew without boogering the heads of the screws. In any case, I'd invest in a new screwdriver that fits the screw heads perfectly. The couple of extra bucks it'll cost is cheap insurance. My 2-cents----Cheers!

Jean-Louis Llech
8-Mar-2004, 04:40
Jürgen,
Why don't you send them accurate dimensions and maybe only the old bellows ?
Ask them by mail if they really need the camera, or if the old bellows might be sufficient. Easier to ship only the bellows.
Regards.