PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Light emulsion...Anybody ever used this?

Cletus
22-Sep-2012, 20:29
I just got a bunch of old darkroom stuff and some old paper that looks like it was from someone's photography class(es). There's a nearly full bottle of "Liquid Light" in there, which I know tends to be kind of expensive. I've always wondered about this stuff but never tried it. This bottle expired in 2006, but "looks okay". Box and bottle aren't all banged up and dirty, or moisture damage, anything like that....

Anybody think this might still be viable? I assume it's light sensitive (hasta be, right?) and you would just coat whatever you plan to print on under safelight? Do you use rods or hake brushes ala alt process for this?

I plan to read the datasheet on this at some point, before I try using it, but before I go buy a pack of expensive Mulberry paper and coating rods or brushes - I'm assuming that's what you use to coat this onto the paper - I'd like to hear anyone's experience on using this product. Especially how well this might likely work, being 6 years or so past expiry.

Thanks ahead for any advice...

vinny
23-Sep-2012, 05:26
use a brush.
http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/liquid-emulsion/the-liquid-emulsion-process

http://www.flickr.com/groups/liquidlight/

jnantz
23-Sep-2012, 05:46
I plan to read the datasheet on this at some point, before I try using it, but before I go buy a pack of expensive Mulberry paper and coating rods or brushes - I'm assuming that's what you use to coat this onto the paper - I'd like to hear anyone's experience on using this product. Especially how well this might likely work, being 6 years or so past expiry.

Thanks ahead for any advice...

you might want to get some gelatin to sub whatever it is you plan to coat on.
form my own experience it helps, but i was using stuff that was 15-20 years old ( at least ).

you can coat with whatever you want ... hake brush, foam brush, rod, floating or submersion too ..

your bottle is still good and probably has nice contrast and speed.

have fun!
john

emh
23-Sep-2012, 13:00
I've used LL from about 2006 rather recently. I coated watercolor paper, applying 2 coats with a foam brush. Apply in one direction, allow it to dry (tacky is OK), then coat in the other direction. Once dry, you're good to go.
I also have some from 1998. It's dead...

Cletus
23-Sep-2012, 19:27
Excellent! Thanks everyone for the advice and links. I've been traveling today and hadn't got the chance to look any of this up. It looks like I can be pretty confident this will be usable after the '06 expiration. It even sounds like this stuff ages a little like the photographic equivalent of wine...hopefully. I'm anxious to give this a try when I get back to my darkroom in a couple weeks.