PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Color in the NYTimes Magazine Section

henrysamson
21-Sep-2012, 10:15
I was looking at this portfolio and was starting to get the impression that they were taken with a large format camera then a caption confirmed it. Made with an 8x10.

Photographs by Andrew Moore. They are stunning!

Enjoy

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/09/23/magazine/cuba-andrew-moore.html#1

Frank Petronio
21-Sep-2012, 10:34
Very nice, makes me want to visit if only that my spending would be supporting the criminals who run the place.

Walter Calahan
21-Sep-2012, 11:01
Great stuff. Thanks for posting. Such dedication.

Peter York
21-Sep-2012, 11:29
Nice piece. I like how the pace of the country facilitates the use of an 8x10.

dperez
27-Sep-2012, 16:16
One of my favorite places to travel.

-DP

vinny
27-Sep-2012, 17:40
if you ever have the chance to see his work in person, I highly recommend it. His images are huge but very well printed and will make you want to shoot everything in 8x10.

Jan Pedersen
27-Sep-2012, 20:20
Until now i was not aware of Andrew More but after looking at these 19 images i certainly want to know more about the photographer behind this beautiful work.

Thanks for posting.

tgtaylor
27-Sep-2012, 20:23
I find it a very interesting and inspiring portfolio of a destination on my to do list. Thanks for posting it.

Does any know if the images were shot using negative or slide film? And how were the prints printed: RA4 or inkjet?

Thomas

henrysamson
29-Sep-2012, 08:42
After I posted this I did some research on the photographer. Although I have been involved in large format for many years I had never heard of him either. There is a lecture posted on YouTube that was given at the Eastman House. There are three parts and it is interesting although he does not go into his technique. What I was able to gather from some interviews leads me to believe that he shoots color negative film, scans and makes very large prints digitally.

vinny
29-Sep-2012, 09:37
Negative I believe. I spoke with him briefly this summer but not about what he was using. He (used) fuji npl when it was available, like the shot of the hotel at dusk. The prints I've seen were RA4 (lighjet or chromira).

I find it a very interesting and inspiring portfolio of a destination on my to do list. Thanks for posting it.

Does any know if the images were shot using negative or slide film? And how were the prints printed: RA4 or inkjet?

Thomas

johnmsanderson
30-Sep-2012, 07:37
The prints at his "Detroit Disassembled" show at the Queens Museum were pigment prints. Some really nice work, some prints were really quite big and I felt some didn't really work at that scale. But it was an impressive show.

With these new images it looks like he's trying to get more into portraiture? I always thought of him as an architectural photography, along the lines of Robert Polidori. I think the two share many similarities.

Is it just me or do some of the images look overedited and clearly digital? Too much contrast enhancement and the colors are taken too far in some images. For example, in the last shot of the Duaba River there's a halo around the sky and treeline. They could be a little "flatter" for the sake of subtlety... maybe it's just the NYT messing with his jpgs.

Jeff Bannow
30-Sep-2012, 17:50
8x10 and 4x5 color film, drum scanned and printed digitally. He has 3 books out, including the Detroit Disassembled book.

He's a very nice guy too.