PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone using Lotus Field Camera?

Eis
21-Sep-2012, 07:04
Can anyone share experience of using Lotus camera:)

Eric Biggerstaff
21-Sep-2012, 09:39
I will be interested to see the responses you get.

I had an opportunity to try one of these for a couple of outings several years ago and found the camera to be outstanding in most respects. The craftmanship is first rate and the camera seemed very solid and stable. I felt the controls were easy to locate when working under the darkcloth and were very smooth. The one I had those sort of funky knobs that stick a ways out from the camera body which was my only complaint and at that, it is a very minor one. If I recall correctly, Lotus was trying to get better distribution in the states but for some reason it did not happen. I actually inquired about becoming a distributor but the numbers of cameras I needed to purchase up front at the time was too great and then there was the issue of service, or lack of it, here.

I have not checked lately, but the price for these cameras became so high that it became sort of difficult to justify it when compared to other full featured cameras such as Canham or Ebony, I seem to recall they were priced even higher than Ebony a few years ago. Also, with quality Chinese cameras such as Chamonix the Lotus seemed a bit out of reach and the price was hard to justify (I am sort of looking for a new 5X7).

All this said, if I had a Lotus I would be a proud owner as it is a beautiful and high quality piece of equipment.

Scott Davis
21-Sep-2012, 12:39
Yeah- I think the big obstacle to their cameras is the relatively high cost coupled with the USD=Euro exchange rate. It was tolerable when the dollar was stronger than the Euro. Now that the Euro is about 1.35 USD, their prices are significantly non-competitive with Canhams. They might be close enough to Ebony in price to make it worth considering, especially in the custom ULF size range, but something like an 8x10 is just not reasonable.

That said, I have three of their film holders for my 14x17, and they are truly a work of art. Worth every penny the previous owner paid for them :) I contacted them about getting additional holders made and if memory serves, they were 550 Euro each (almost $800). I found two S&S holders that combined were less than the price of one Lotus.

Eis
23-Sep-2012, 02:36
Thanks for sharing your valuable experience :). I totally agreed with both of you on their price is comparatively high. :(

Brian Ellis
23-Sep-2012, 05:32
Never used one but a friend had one and I played around with it. Beautiful camera, ugly price.

peter schrager
23-Sep-2012, 09:06
amazing how people wax nostalgic about products that are either non existent or so far out of reach for the average person...a camera is a box with a lens on it....it will not make better pix because it says wisner or ebony. if you want some REAL advise buy yourself a 8x10 Richard Ritter camera with a 5x7 reducing back...he is actively here; makes an amazingly light camera;best value for the buck...oh by the way there is and never will be THE perfect view camera but I guarantee if you try Richards you will buy it!!
have a great day and go make pictures Eric B!!!!
Peter

ROL
23-Sep-2012, 09:26
More of a problem if students or friends are using the camera, not so much if it is you alone.

Indeed. I have found self–flagellating tantrums to nearly always be less of a problem if you are alone. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!! (Also, the best reason for not sharing your darkroom :)).

Brian Ellis
25-Sep-2012, 10:44
amazing how people wax nostalgic about products that are either non existent or so far out of reach for the average person...a camera is a box with a lens on it....it will not make better pix because it says wisner or ebony. if you want some REAL advise buy yourself a 8x10 Richard Ritter camera with a 5x7 reducing back...he is actively here; makes an amazingly light camera;best value for the buck...oh by the way there is and never will be THE perfect view camera but I guarantee if you try Richards you will buy it!!
have a great day and go make pictures Eric B!!!!
Peter

While a camera is, when reduced to its simplest form, a box with a lens on it there are many factors that distinguish one box from another and that make one box preferable for some people to use than other boxes. And some of those factors - e.g. stability, movements, precision - may very well lead to better "pix."

How do you define the "average person" for whom some products are out of reach?

Drew Wiley
25-Sep-2012, 13:04
I love delrin gears - they're very smooth and more durable than brass. Sinar has used them
for years, and I've never had an issue, even when just about everything else wore out.
Don't confuse Delrin with cheap nylon. And Peter - I've got not regrets buying an Ebony
either. They might all just be cardboard boxes - but some are sure put together better than others, and not all cardboard is the same!

John Kasaian
25-Sep-2012, 14:04
If your Super Cub augers into Mindenhall Glacier and youre freezing your tail off, you can always build a warming fire with a 'dorff. Try doing that with a Sinar!:rolleyes: LOL!

E. von Hoegh
25-Sep-2012, 14:38
If your Super Cub augers into Mindenhall Glacier and youre freezing your tail off, you can always build a warming fire with a 'dorff. Try doing that with a Sinar!:rolleyes: LOL!

Isn't there wood in the wings of a Super Cub? At any rate, the fabric will burn. I'd save the camera for a last and desparate resort.

Drew Wiley
25-Sep-2012, 15:17
Excellent advice! And remember that you can boil and eat leather bellows, but not vinyl
ones.

John Kasaian
25-Sep-2012, 15:50
Isn't there wood in the wings of a Super Cub? At any rate, the fabric will burn. I'd save the camera for a last and desparate resort.

Only the wing tips and floor boards. Of course it would be a last, desparate resort but it could be done! Not many cameras will sacrifice themselves for the survival of thier owners---'dorffs are kind of like the "St. Bernard" of LF cameras, woof!

Tav Walraven
25-Sep-2012, 21:21
My 12x20 Lotus is a real pleasure to work with in spite of it's "bulk" but I solved most issues with an old Samsonite suitcase, an axle, and some wheels from Northern Tool. It sets up quickly, all controls have become second nature, and the delrin issues mentioned earlier have not been a problem. Using the locks is similar to using a clutch with a manual gearbox. A good friend owns a machine shop and after taking him my Manfrotto geared head, he machined a beautiful piece of 3/8" aluminum that attaches permanently to the Lotus and has a circle machined on the bottom that simply "drops" into the top of the head and locks on. With a camera of such size, I had found that the biggest issue was the initial attachment to the tripod due to the weight. Once done, photographing became a breeze. The Samsonite carries 4 holders in the top zippered flap and the tripod bungees down on the pull-out handle. Tires are inflatable and handle just about any terrain. Lenses are carried in an OLD white Zone VI shoulder case with light meters, filters, etc. My next jump will be to convert one of my film holders for collodion work. If that works out, I'll be scratching my head as to which make to buy in 14x17. Ritter, Chamonix, Lotus?....not sure. With regards to the OP's question, if a 14x17 Lotus popped up for sale tomorrow, I'd be in line (if there was one) to purchase. I understand the comment earlier that it's just a box, BUT I appreciate the craftsmanship and effort that went into the making of my "box", and I would buy another.

tw

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/Grainfed/SamsoniteCart004.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/Grainfed/SamsoniteCart001.jpg

Cor
26-Sep-2012, 01:25
Impressive gear, Tav! And packed neatly! Do you a web site up with your 12*20 work? I would be very interested in it.

Best,

Cor

Kerik Kouklis
26-Sep-2012, 08:07
Tav,

I'm glad to see you're treating it so well! I like your rolling suitcase with off-road wheels. I've used many view cameras in my time. Of all of them, the Lotus 12x20 was the nicest made and was a pleasure to use. I bought it used for a pretty good price at the time. I only sold it because I never really took to the 12x20 format.

Tav Walraven
26-Sep-2012, 08:11
Kerik.....
I'm taking good care of it (as best I can). If only I could stretch the 12" up to 16", all would be good!

tw

Bob Mann
26-Sep-2012, 12:27
I had the opportunity to use one of these for a few months - it is very well made, with an excellent level of fit and finish. Controls are easy to use and it locked up as rigid as any field camera I have had the chance to use. The one I used had brass gearing instead of plastic - it had very smooth movements. If expense is not a factor, it would certainly be on my short list of best field cameras currently in production. But, unfortunately for most of us - expense is a factor.

Drew Wiley
26-Sep-2012, 13:18
Still don't get it. Who could have afforded Lotus for student use? These were never cheap or readily available cameras in this country. And delrin doesn't easily wear. It's used for all
kinds of industrial gear lines. It can be deliberately cut (and is intended to be machined,
obviously). Sand might get imbedded between gear with serious abuse - but that would
damage brass just as easily. In fact, a lot of brass on budget import view cameras has been cast, and not machined forged alloy. Lotus did introduce brass gearing for the US
market, but that's more local predudice than anything else. But I guess there are some
students out there who could either dent a titanium ball or eat one.

lumi
4-Jan-2013, 08:07
I've been using a Lotus 8x10 for several years now. It's a very well crafted piece of equipment and every time I pull it out I experience the joy of using such a well constructed camera. My lenses are Nikkor SW 150 8.0, Rodenstock Sironar-N 300 mm f5.6 and Fujinon 600mm f11.0. I exchanged the Satin Snow screen with the much brighter Dutch "Boss Screen" (no longer in production). The bag bellows are nice with the 150mm. I ended up with this camera after using various 4x5 and 5x7 cameras in the past. I should have bought the Lotus 8x10 in the first place, it's the best view camera I have ever owned. It never get's in the way of what's most important: making pictures, it does what it supposed to do with no effort.