PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas on what to do with a lens

Vincepad
20-Sep-2012, 21:24
So I picked up a Fujinon 210 f/5.6 that is very badly etched from fungus as a free throw in on another purchase. The markings on the front element aren't going anywhere.

What do you suggest I do with the lens? There's a large part of me that wants to enhance (?) the damage to get a more unique look. As is, there's a decent loss in contrast, though it's still relatively sharp. I love the soft focus distorted look of old meniscus and petzval lenses, if that helps.

Looking forward to hearing ideas!

Jon Wilson
20-Sep-2012, 21:37
Shoot some images with the lens in its present condition and then either add loving touches to the glass or try some Vaseline. I am not a fain of adding goop on the glass, but it can be cleaned off a lot easier than scratches. In "enhancing" the glass, I would go with circular marks on the perimeter first and work in as you make test images. Bottom, have fun. Jon

Lachlan 717
21-Sep-2012, 01:00
Keep it well away from your "good" lenses. You don't want an of those fungal Hyphae getting out!!

Mark Sawyer
21-Sep-2012, 01:08
There's a large part of me that wants to enhance (?) the damage to get a more unique look. As is, there's a decent loss in contrast, though it's still relatively sharp. I love the soft focus distorted look of old meniscus and petzval lenses, if that helps.

The old soft lenses got their softness through spherical aberration, you're working with diffusion. And Petzvals are just really something else... :rolleyes: It wouldn't be the same, but it could have a lovely look of its own. Or it could just be low contrast...

I'd unscrew the cells and put them and the shutter in a tupperware-type container along with some bleach and let the fumes permeate them for a few days.

jp
21-Sep-2012, 06:03
See what it looks like on the groundglass without the front glass or front cell.

E. von Hoegh
21-Sep-2012, 06:42
You have a good shutter on the fungusy lens? Then get a lens in a bad shutter (for a pittance) and screw the cells into the good shutter! Don't forget to switch aperture scales.

Vincepad
21-Sep-2012, 09:58
Keep it well away from your "good" lenses. You don't want an of those fungal Hyphae getting out!!

Oh yes, it has been nowhere near the good lenses. :)

Vincepad
21-Sep-2012, 10:01
Absolutely. I don't expect to recreate those looks exactly - when I want those specific effects, I'll just use those lenses. I just love their distortion and soft focus and am curious about what I can pull out of this lens. I'm already getting some low contrast out of it, but I'm just up for some experimentation.

The old soft lenses got their softness through spherical aberration, you're working with diffusion. And Petzvals are just really something else... :rolleyes: It wouldn't be the same, but it could have a lovely look of its own. Or it could just be low contrast...

I'd unscrew the cells and put them and the shutter in a tupperware-type container along with some bleach and let the fumes permeate them for a few days.

Vincepad
21-Sep-2012, 10:03
Also - I use the bleach trick for a few days when I first got the lens months ago, AND left them in the sun for a couple of days. Still, I keep it well away from my other lenses.

Vincepad
21-Sep-2012, 10:03
Seems obvious, but I never thought of it! Will do!

See what it looks like on the groundglass without the front glass or front cell.

Vincepad
21-Sep-2012, 10:04
The shutter is in perfect condition. I may have to do that!

You have a good shutter on the fungusy lens? Then get a lens in a bad shutter (for a pittance) and screw the cells into the good shutter! Don't forget to switch aperture scales.

hiend61
26-Sep-2012, 08:13
Try to fix fungus first before the camera and rest of gear get infected.