PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love the 'bay

Jim Andrada
19-Sep-2012, 22:55
Particularly the way they describe things with such clarity and accuracy.

Why they have on auction at this very moment a Mamiya 7 with 80mm lens that is described as being a 35mm film camera. Does that mean that I should use 120 film in my 8 x 10?

photobymike
19-Sep-2012, 23:53
LOL... from ignorance come good deals.. I cant tell you how many times i have bought something that was not described right or the title was grossly misspelled. Like the cannon f-one rare professional camera with lenses......or a 55mm 67 lens for your Pendax camera... bought that for 65 dollars as i was the only bidder. ... very early in my ebay career i sent a message saying there might be a mistake on the description... the user made a complaint about me to ebay.... so from then on there ignorance is my profit.....and business has been good

Cletus
20-Sep-2012, 02:14
+wun!

BrianShaw
20-Sep-2012, 09:32
+ too

I bought a "Kodak Plus-X camera" once that turned out to be a complete fully-functional EX++ Anniversary Graphic, with flash, with film holders, with 100 sheets of film... all in a Graflex carrying case for $24 + shipping. The only thing even vaguely related to Plus-X was an old instruction sheet from that film.

Scott Davis
20-Sep-2012, 10:38
The flipside is you can get into arguments with someone who is either willfully ignorant or intends to be deceitful. I got into a bit of a tussle with someone who was describing a ca. 1910 tintype of some sailors as a Civil War tintype. He wouldn't hear it that he could possibly be wrong in his attribution. Of course, because it meant a $30 tintype would sell for $450.

BrianShaw
20-Sep-2012, 11:18
I don't bother telling them that they are (a) misrepresenting the item or (b) stupid... I just bid, win, and enjoy. If it is misrepresented in the sellers favor I simply do not bid. No arguements possible that way.

E. von Hoegh
20-Sep-2012, 11:26
People who think education is expensive should price ignorance.

rdenney
20-Sep-2012, 11:34
The only time I ever really challenged an ebay seller was when he tried to sell my tuba, using a description and picture from my website. I had a buddy who plays in an orchestra down south email me, questioning why I was selling it on ebay when I should offer it to the professional cognoscenti first. It was a bit of a shock.

Ebay took care of it. But they still have a "buying guide" that plagiarizes one of my online articles about tubas and includes a picture of me playing my tuba made by my wife. Those letters have been ignored.

Rick "thinking delivery would have been the tricky bit for that seller" Denney

adam satushek
20-Sep-2012, 11:56
Particularly the way they describe things with such clarity and accuracy.

Why they have on auction at this very moment a Mamiya 7 with 80mm lens that is described as being a 35mm film camera. Does that mean that I should use 120 film in my 8 x 10?

Well, the Mamiya 7 can use 35mm film of course....as long as you have their 35mm panoramic kit....but im sure the seller is not aware of that.....

BrianShaw
20-Sep-2012, 11:58
... a picture of me playing my tuba made by my wife.

Your wife must be a very talented metal worker!

rdenney
20-Sep-2012, 12:06
Your wife must be a very talented metal worker!

You already getting into that cognac?

Rick "groan" Denney

Jim Andrada
20-Sep-2012, 14:16
Hi Rick

OT but I think I'm getting to where I'll be selling a tuba soon. Nice Alex BBb that I bought new from Tony Clements 12 years ago. Getting old! (me, not the horn!) But no way I let my gold brass Alex F go before they bury me. Or maybe they could bury me with the tuba and my 5 x 7 Linhof Bi. And maybe a box of Tri-X as well. And my copy of the Bordogni etudes. That should do it.

Dan Fromm
20-Sep-2012, 15:15
Here's one for you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/240MM-RODENSTOCK-LARGE-FORMAT-LENS-COVERS-8X10-/320984907896?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4abc310078

Count the lies.

Jim Andrada
20-Sep-2012, 17:00
Well seems a little confused about f9 vs 9.5 inches and # of elements 4 vs 6 and 8 x 10 coverage (Image circle at infinity around 210mm iirc) and...

rdenney
20-Sep-2012, 21:58
Hi Rick

OT but I think I'm getting to where I'll be selling a tuba soon. Nice Alex BBb that I bought new from Tony Clements 12 years ago.

I'm tempted to ask how much. But only tempted. A 163 would be a nice alternative to the Holton 345 for those occasions when Teutonic power is preferable. But I find the Holton can bury the group already--any more projection and they'd put me out in the parking lot.

Rick "who probably wouldn't get the Alex thing in any case" Denney

Jim Andrada
21-Sep-2012, 15:46
If I had any idea "how much" the 163 would probably be gone by now. Great if somewhat quirky horn. Maybe we can continue to discuss the "Alex thing" on the appropriate forum.

Anyone else find any more falsehoods in the 'Bay ad?

BrianShaw
21-Sep-2012, 16:14
Anyone else find any more falsehoods in the 'Bay ad?

No, but I get the impression that you two are tooting your own horn. :D

hackphotographer
21-Sep-2012, 17:24
As someone who has been selling camera gear ( mainly hasselblad ) on eBay for nearly 12 years I'd like to interject something from the other side. Though I try hard not to make any mistakes in the description it does happen once in a while. That's why when I am not overly familiar with something someone has asked me to sell for them I come to places like this to try and get information about the item from people who know. Just as others might ask me about Hasselblad. Even still one can make a mistake. As a seller there is nothing more aggravating than to have someone who thinks more highly of themselves than they ought to - to write me a letter out of nowhere berating and scolding me for a simple mistake that was unintentional.

So if you find such a thing on eBay then my encouragement is to politely write the seller and let him/her know in humility that their description has an error in it.

I'm always very thankful when someone politely lets me know. Not so much the jerks.

Jim Andrada
21-Sep-2012, 18:58
Your point is well taken! I've had a few good experiences with sellers I've questioned, but there are others who just seem to stick to their stories no matter what.

I wouldn't think though that anyone would mistake a Mamiya 7 for a 35mm camera unless maybe they had never seen any other kind of film and just assumed that all film cameras were 35mm.

Dan Fromm
22-Sep-2012, 05:45
And then there are the misinformed and somewhat obtuse sellers:

Me to seller, about an aerial camera lens

You do realize, don't you, that you're offering the lens' front cell. Where are the rear cell and barrel?

Seller back to me

Thank you for your interest in my item. I do in fact have the rear cell, it is attached to the rear of the shutter mechanism, a K38 night shutter, from the aerial camera. I was informed by a local photography shop owner that the front cell is the only valuable part as most people will want to mount the lens part in a more modern shutter mechanism compatible with their large format camera or astronomical device. As well, the shutter release was via photo-electric cells triggered by the light from flash "bombs"! They will be difficult to source and I'm sure, highly dangerous.

However, if you are interested in the rear assembly too, I can let you know how much it weighs and we could haggle a price for it. As I said earlier, I am advised that the part I am selling is of most value, I was given the estimate of £250-300, so I am not expecting a fortune for the rest! However, I must advise that the rear section weighs a lot as it is a military camera and was built for strength not grace! As a result, the postage will be quite high.
I hope this helps to answer your query.

Michael_4514
22-Sep-2012, 05:58
The only time I ever really challenged an ebay seller was when he tried to sell my tuba, using a description and picture from my website. I had a buddy who plays in an orchestra down south email me, questioning why I was selling it on ebay when I should offer it to the professional cognoscenti first. It was a bit of a shock.

Ebay took care of it. But they still have a "buying guide" that plagiarizes one of my online articles about tubas and includes a picture of me playing my tuba made by my wife. Those letters have been ignored.

Rick "thinking delivery would have been the tricky bit for that seller" Denney

So what size film does that tuba use?

Andre Noble
22-Sep-2012, 09:48
Good business is mutually beneficial.

photobymike
22-Sep-2012, 11:56
Not everybody on ebay knows what they are selling.... seriously there is alot of "entertainment" on ebay .. some of the "funnies" have been posted here

Kuzano
22-Sep-2012, 18:19
LOL... from ignorance come good deals.. I cant tell you how many times i have bought something that was not described right or the title was grossly misspelled. Like the cannon f-one rare professional camera with lenses......or a 55mm 67 lens for your Pendax camera... bought that for 65 dollars as i was the only bidder. ... very early in my ebay career i sent a message saying there might be a mistake on the description... the user made a complaint about me to ebay.... so from then on there ignorance is my profit.....and business has been good

As in the great deal I got on a Calument Calstar 150...

Somebody wrote a book, relative to misspelled words on eBay. Title went something like "How I made a ton of money on eBay finding misspelled words". In fact there are a few auction plugins or sites that scan ebay for misspelled words.

I've taken advantage of it... For instance... Callaway Golf Clubs... What is the proper spelling ... Callaway... or ... Calloway. Simply search both ways...

Think I'll go now and search for a "lika" or a "Tachihararia"

By the way... I made almost $200 clear, after shipping and fees on that Calumet Caltar II

photobymike
22-Sep-2012, 19:44
WoW Kuzano our secret is out..... i have made a few dollars myself on misspellings and ignorance... 6 months i bought a a lieca CL with lens for 250 sold the leica lens for 639 and the none working CL body for 150... yea the secret is out. Even a large company like KEH needs a spelling check http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lieca-90mm-f-2-Summicron-Head-Only-Black-Made-In-Canada-22036483-5778-/120978479017?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item1c2ae117a9

ebay will auto correct your spelling when searching... the secret is to put your search like "cannon" in quotes on the search box... ebay will not correct in the quotes. I cannot count the number of "cannon" cameras i have bought and sold.... they are looking right the name on the camera and still cant get it right..... try "hasselbad" LOL LOL clueless sellers abound

Michael W
23-Sep-2012, 06:12
I've seen someone selling a Durst Labrador enlarger.

Jim Andrada
23-Sep-2012, 22:09
Would that have been a Black lab or a Yellow Lab?

Woof woof - I miss my 138s but no place to set it up here so I donated it to a place that would use it and I went the hybrid route.

Len Middleton
23-Sep-2012, 23:22

That is one of those Italian breeds that are no good for duck hunting...

They just stay on shore and will not go into the water unless pushed in.

Tony Lakin
24-Sep-2012, 00:40

I once saw a Durst advertised as a dust enlarger:eek:

Tony Lakin
24-Sep-2012, 01:02
Best deal I ever got from Ebay, saw a listing for a Sinar Norma 8x10 in a fitted case with a couple of dds extra rail and a few other bits and pieces the photo was very poor but there was a lens attached to he camera but no mention of what it was in the details I was very tempted by the £450 (approx. $650 US) bin price, curiosity got the better of me so I copied the image of the items into Photoshop, added contrast and lightened and sharpened the photo at which point I was able to identify the lens, it was a 150mm f4.5 Voigtlander Apo Lanther, couldn't get to the bin button fast enough, when the outfit arrived the lens was in pretty good shape although the shutter needed a cla, I decided I would keep and use everything rather than sell and take the profit which I conservatively estimate at £600 (about $900 US):).

E. von Hoegh
24-Sep-2012, 07:41
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LENS-8x10-inch-DAGOR-GOLD-DOT-14-IN-SCHNEIDER-COPAL-NO-3-With-Coating-1980-/170911887829?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27cb2471d5

Dan Fromm
24-Sep-2012, 07:48
E., asking easy, getting hard.

E. von Hoegh
24-Sep-2012, 09:24
E., asking easy, getting hard.

I know, I just thought this one was exceptionally delusional.

Jim Andrada
24-Sep-2012, 14:51
@ Tony L

Aren't they ALL dust enlargers? Or maybe some are just scratch enlargers????