PDA

View Full Version : Lens board light tight question

Noah B
18-Sep-2012, 16:53
Hey all, I just acquired an older Eastman 5x7 that has the 4.5x4.5 inch lensboard. The one that came with it is a custom made and it fits fairly well. The problem is it's a little short on one side and when I run my phone's LED flashlight up against the corners a little light seeps in. The question I have is even though it's a small amount through a powerful flashlight, will it effect my negatives when I go shooting? And if it does effect the negatives is there a way to light proof the board or camera?

Leigh
18-Sep-2012, 16:56
The sun is a whole light brighter than your flashlight.

Anything opaque that will fill the gap should suffice, perhaps rubber or felt or some such.

- Leigh

joselsgil
18-Sep-2012, 22:24
Noah,

Is the board, that came with the camera, 4 1/2"x4 1/2"?

Or has the camera been modified? If it is just the lens board that isn't the correct size, replace it.

Putting a small piece of black electrical tape may help. But why risk ruining that, once-in-a-lifetime-photo, due to a $20 lens board?

Noah B
19-Sep-2012, 06:21
The light that comes through isn't as bad as I made it sound, it's just barely noticeable. The problem is I can't find a new lensboard for the camera, I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a new one made. I purchased one online from a seller but it was clipped down 1/16th an inch and light really came through that board.

Jim Noel
19-Sep-2012, 07:41
Noah,

Is the board, that came with the camera, 4 1/2"x4 1/2"?

Or has the camera been modified? If it is just the lens board that isn't the correct size, replace it.

Putting a small piece of black electrical tape may help. But why risk ruining that, once-in-a-lifetime-photo, due to a $20 lens board?
Black electrical tape is not light tight.If tape is used, photographers tape will do the job.