PDA

View Full Version : Is this uneven development?

Rain Dance
17-Sep-2012, 16:40
Hi, I a few days ago I used the taco method to process 4 sheets of 4x5, I have done this before and with nice results. The 4 negatives I processed showed some weird stuff on the left side of the negtaives. Is this uneven development? I used about 600ml of developer (HC110 dil.b) on my Arista tank. BTW these are contact prints, as I dont have a scanner for 4x5. Thanks.

polyglot
17-Sep-2012, 17:11
Maybe. If you rolled the film up along the long axis (short fat tacos instead of long skinny tacos) with the left side at the top of the tank and then didn't put enough developer in the tank to cover the tacos completely, that would explain it. You can see what look like tide/slosh marks.

However, you also have a major light leak at the top-right. It's possible that those banded patterns at the left are actually an image of bellows penumbra or something. All the unevenness might be down to light leakage and not development.

timparkin
18-Sep-2012, 01:38
Hi, I a few days ago I used the taco method to process 4 sheets of 4x5, I have done this before and with nice results. The 4 negatives I processed showed some weird stuff on the left side of the negtaives. Is this uneven development? I used about 600ml of developer (HC110 dil.b) on my Arista tank. BTW these are contact prints, as I dont have a scanner for 4x5. Thanks.

Almost certainly not enough developer to cover the film when sitting still..

Jim Noel
18-Sep-2012, 08:44
This is a combination of problems. Light leaks, insufficient developer quantity and inadequate agitation.

E. von Hoegh
18-Sep-2012, 11:05
This is a combination of problems. Light leaks, insufficient developer quantity and inadequate agitation.

Yes, I'll go along with Jim.

Rain Dance
18-Sep-2012, 16:48
Thank you for the replies, I will develop again this weekend and check if my bellows have light leaks.

Rick A
19-Sep-2012, 04:45
I use 850ml solution for taco method in an Arista tank, my supposition is not enough developer. Also, make sure your lid screws on properly. My lid always tries to start crooked, it feels right but isn't.

eberry_tapes
19-Sep-2012, 19:53
I use 800ml in a Patterson tank to do the taco method; the one time I just decided to eye-ball the right amount in to the tank (don't know what I was thinking) I came up a little short and had a somewhat similar result.