PDA

View Full Version : Back-up lens

John Kasaian
17-Sep-2012, 12:35
What lenses do you keep around as back-ups---just in case your usual lens suffers from a photo shoot threatening calamity?
Me- 12" Dagor & 14" APO Artar in a dial set Compurs (8x10 format)

BrianShaw
17-Sep-2012, 13:00
I have a bunch of lenses but none htat I consider redundant or "back-up". Except maybe the Kodak #32 (or 34?) of which I have two.

rdenney
17-Sep-2012, 13:20
What lenses do you keep around as back-ups---just in case your usual lens suffers from a photo shoot threatening calamity?

One advantage to having a selection of lenses with me routinely is that I can just avoid using a lens that doesn't work.

I'm reminded of a conversation with a musician whose preferred instrument had a few real clunker notes (constrained by too few valves and other limitations). I asked him how he managed to play those notes in tune and get a good sound. His response: "I play jazz. I only play the notes that work."

For art and amateur photography, that flexibility applies. It might not for commercial work.

Last time I was paid to do photography (a few weeks ago), I used medium format film, with digital as a backup. The backup was in case the film got lost in the mail, which is a rather scary reality to using film these days, especially for color work. That was already a retake of a sitting ruined by the local lab, who will never do work for me again. I was glad I had the digital stuff that day.

Rick "who can usually make things work even with faults" Denney

Heroique
17-Sep-2012, 13:28
A “back-up” lens is a “walk around” lens’ worst nightmare.

Craig Roberts
17-Sep-2012, 14:26
I hate to admit it but, I do have back ups to my most used lenses. Craig

BrianShaw
17-Sep-2012, 14:44
Don't be embarrassed... it's OK. Really, it is.