PDA

View Full Version : Photographing the 2012 Presidential Campaign ~ NW Ohio

Frank Petronio
17-Sep-2012, 10:40
I realize that this entire topic could get me banned because as we know, large format photography has nothing to do with politics so we shouldn't even mention that there is a campaign going on.

But nevertheless I want to shoot some of the rallies, especially the daytime-outdoor ones, in NorthWest Ohio over the next 6-7 weeks. Ohio is a swing state so the candidates should be visiting often and Cleveland is a major enough city to draw attention.

The hard part is figuring out where these guys are going to be - President Oxxxx and challenger Mxxx Rxxxxx only update their websites one day at a time. I have requests into press offices and also a contact at the local paper who might give me some info (like AP might have a schedule) but so far I haven't heard.

SO DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW WHEN THEY WILL BE AROUND NEXT?

I'd drive down (about 4 hrs to Cleveland) and even meet for coffee/beer for a good tip. I would like to do grand landscapes from a distance that shows the event, crowds, and security from further away than normal journalists would shoot. Also I don't want to attract much attention to myself. And also do portraits of the crowd, supporters and protestors. I wouldn't even try to get into the event or close to the candidates.

Mark Woods
17-Sep-2012, 11:08
I shot all of the commercials for Jesse Jackson when he ran. I had the same credentials as the candidate. But due to security issues, I was told where we were going only when the plane/bus/car was in motion and I couldn't spread the information. The campaign staff knows, but only puts the information out once the SS has secured the area. The newspapers are as good information as anything else. There will be information about a candidate visiting a high school, or military base, or other. That's about as close as you can get unless you're embedded with the campaign.

Good luck. This sounds like a Speed Graphic type of shoot. Using something smaller that looks like a gun can get you shot. I was warned a number of times by the SS about where I could be and if there was a loud noise, I'd probably be the first one taken out. BTW, there's always one SS guy with an Ouzi with another who covers his back. He's usually stationed in the best vantage point of the event.

Mark

Frank Petronio
17-Sep-2012, 11:14
Yeah I missed the Plainview event last Friday but I figure have to search early and maybe catch a late afternoon opp the same day. Nearly impossible....

Mark Woods
17-Sep-2012, 11:30
They don't make it easy, but they do have crowds at these events. Not sure how they do it. You might contact a local office for the candidate and see what information they may have for you.

Keep shooting! I like your work.

Mark

JBelthoff
17-Sep-2012, 12:38
Frank,

The security at these events will be tight. I would recommend getting press credentials if you can. I worked at the DNC and RNC in 2008 doing Audio Engineering for PBS and could not believe what I had to go through even though I was the head of the Audio Department for PBS.

Good luck and I would love to see your shots!

-- JB

Frank Petronio
17-Sep-2012, 12:58
And you never write, "I want to shoot the Prxxxxx" lol.

Mark Woods
17-Sep-2012, 13:05
They don't have a sense of humor. :-/

Mark

JBelthoff
17-Sep-2012, 15:14
They don't have a sense of humor. :-/

Actually they do and they are not dumb either but your quote is funny nonetheless.

Mark Woods
17-Sep-2012, 15:30
The humor I witnessed was very gallows oriented. And when they're on, they are really ON! Amazing guys.

Mark