PDA

View Full Version : looking for a lens that will cover 30 x 40 inches

jkalogiros
16-Sep-2012, 16:46
Hello there,
I'm looking for a lens in the 1000mm and over range that I can use to build a 30 x 40 process camera. Any ideas or resources of where I might be able to obtain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

C. D. Keth
16-Sep-2012, 16:58
I'm not really sure about a more proper lens for your purposes, but I bet you could call up a scientific supply company and get a meniscus lens of 6 or 8 inch diameter, mount it in a piece of PVC pipe, and make waterhouse stope for in front of it. That would get you rolling for $50 or so tops while you look for something better.

Dan Fromm
16-Sep-2012, 18:11
Process camera? To shoot @ 1:1? Look here: http://www.galerie-photo.com/apo-process-nikkors-en.html , remember that the diameter of a circle covered at 1:1 is twice the diameter of the circle covered at infinity. Equivalent Apo Artars and Apo Ronars will do as well as dialyte type Apo Nikkors. Joerg Krusche, who posts on the www.galerie-photo.info processes and equipment forum, might have an 1800 Apo Ronar, also some shorter ones, that he'd be willing to sell. Don't even think of trying to steal it.

A lens to cover 50" at infinity? Short answer, give it up. Lenses with that much coverage are very scarce, very costly. The 1800 Apo Ronar won't do it, and neither will the 1780 Apo Nikkor. You want a 2500/12.5 Apo Saphir for that, and even though I have an Apo Saphir brochure that has a picture of 14 of them, they don't exist.

pierre506
16-Sep-2012, 18:14
Try this one:

I could not find 1800 Apo Ronar, 1780 Apo Nikkor and 2500 Apo Saphir.

Dan Fromm
16-Sep-2012, 19:52
Pierre, until the OP tells us what he really wants to do, there's no point in trying to help him.

By the way, most, if not all, Apo Nikkors' coverage etc. is given in the link I posted. Why do you think I posted it?

pierre506
16-Sep-2012, 20:02
Pierre, until the OP tells us what he really wants to do, there's no point in trying to help him.

By the way, most, if not all, Apo Nikkors' coverage etc. is given in the link I posted. Why do you think I posted it?

Thank you, dear Dan. Yes, we could not make sense of the OP's target so far.

I will not start the ULF project before I got a proper lens.
I missed the Nikon 1210 lens because I lost a chance to buy it in a very low price recently.

I thought that I could bear the largest size is 24X24in.

Paul Fitzgerald
16-Sep-2012, 21:46
Goerz listed their 35" Artar to cover 36" x 40" at 1 - 1, longer lenses cover larger plates. Have fun finding one.

cameraeccentric.com (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/goerz_3.html)

Dan Fromm
16-Sep-2012, 22:09
Paul, this isn't a new question. We must see it roughly once a month.

cameraeccentric.com has a copy of a 1951 Goerz catalog that gives Apo Artars' claimed coverage at several magnifications, you posted the link. There are copies of the Rodenstock Process Lens Manual floating around, thanks to Joerg Krusche and Emmanual Bigler. Emmanuel may have posted one on a site, but I can't for the life of me remember where. And there's my Apo-Nikkor compilation on the French LF site. Between them they give what most people who want long process lenses want to know about the ones they're likely to run across. I've got an Apo-Saphir catalog, but Apo-Saphirs longer than 600 mm rarely turn up.

D'ye think one of us should ask QT whether he'd put up a compilation of all this nonsense if one of us put it together and handed it to him? We'd still have to tell the innocents to use the search function and read the FAQs first, though, there's no cure for that.

Come to think of it, for all I know all this is already in a FAQ here. Shame on me for not looking. And now that I think of it, Henri Gaud, who's active on the French LF site, has what seems to be the compilation to end all compilations of LF lenses', including very long process lenses, specs. I'm not sure that its up anywhere, perhaps I should ask him.

jon.oman
17-Sep-2012, 08:18
http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com/Site/Home.html

Take a look at his lenses. He also came out with a 1000mm lens. His web site has not been updated to reflect it yet.

Bob Salomon
17-Sep-2012, 08:57
Process cameras are virtually given away today. Why build one?

Mark Sampson
17-Sep-2012, 19:15
Douglas Busch built a 30x40 field camera in the late '80s and had Rodenstock design lenses for it (and for the 20x24 cameras he was selling). I believe that Melles-Griot in Rochester made the lenses. That's a distant memory now, IDK what the focal lengths were or how many were made. There was an article in View Camera magazine where I got the story from, and I believe Mr. Busch's site was called 'superlarge.com' or similar.

Dan Fromm
17-Sep-2012, 20:17
The little lens shown on the site won't. See http://www.superlarge.com/deGoldenBusch/index.html

jkalogiros
25-Sep-2012, 20:50
Hello all thanks for all the useful info, I'm trying to make a process camera to shoot 30 x 40's @ 1:1,after talking to Tracy Storer here in the Bay Area he pointed me in the right direction. Tracy said a 30" lens will give me 1:1 at 5' of bellows and an Artar or Ronar will cover your 30x40...so I guess I'm in the market for an 890mm Artar or Ronar, anyone who has one that would like to sell it please let me know, or if anyone knows of someone who might to sell theirs, please pass the message along. Thanks again!

Tri Tran
25-Sep-2012, 21:23
Hello all thanks for all the useful info, I'm trying to make a process camera to shoot 30 x 40's @ 1:1,after talking to Tracy Storer here in the Bay Area he pointed me in the right direction. Tracy said a 30" lens will give me 1:1 at 5' of bellows and an Artar or Ronar will cover your 30x40...so I guess I'm in the market for an 890mm Artar or Ronar, anyone who has one that would like to sell it please let me know, or if anyone knows of someone who might to sell theirs, please pass the message along. Thanks again!

Tracy is right, besides the 35 in Artar will cover 30x40 @ infinity as I've already tested.Hope this will give you a third option just in case.

Dan Fromm
26-Sep-2012, 07:22
Tri, what does your 35 incher put in the corners of 30x40?

Tri Tran
26-Sep-2012, 09:18
Tri, what does your 35 incher put in the corners of 30x40?

The lens covers at wide open and has a pleasant bokeh all the way to F22 . Sharp from corners to corners at F32 and beyond. I was planned to use this lens for my 14x36 format at one time. The Artars IC are always under estimated .