PDA

View Full Version : 178mm Aero Ektars

william linne
4-Mar-2004, 21:58
I need to know what size hole I need drilled in a speed graphic lensboard for this lens I just bought. Can anyone help? It's not in a shutter, just the barrel.

Frank Petronio
5-Mar-2004, 06:37
The new "David Burnett" trend? Watch out for radioactive glass...

william linne
5-Mar-2004, 07:46
Thanks, that helps alot.

Mark Tweed
5-Mar-2004, 18:04
William, I have the same lens (also without a shutter) mounted to a speed graphic lensboard. Curiously, the lens is attached with 6 small screws fastened from the back of the lensboard into the (thicker) outer aluminum barrel. The opening on the lensboard is 71mm. A small flange on the back of the lens barrel protrudes through the the 71mm hole, but it is essentially flush with the inside of the graphic board

The barrel mounting configuration on your 178mm could be completely different from mine, I don't know. but to answer your question, the opening on my lensboard is 71mm.

David Kaplan
6-Mar-2004, 17:25
William,

It just won't work.

I have this lens mounted in a Nikon focusing mount (from the old tele series) and use it on a Pentax 67 and a Crown Graphic (same lens board).

The Aero Ektar's diameter is too large for the lens board and it weighs too much for the camera's standard.

It is a great lens and a great camera but a bad marrage.

David Kaplan
6-Mar-2004, 21:55
oops,

To clarify my prior response:

... I have this lens mounted in a Nikon focusing mount (from the old tele series) and use it on a Pentax 67 and a Crown Graphic (same lens board). ...

I do not use this lens on the graphic, as implied by my poor grammer. the Aero Ektar lives and works the Pentax. While the Graphic currently makes do with a 135mm (?) Xenar.

Joe Photo
7-Mar-2004, 15:10
I've got the same lens and use it on an Anniversary Speed Graphic but it's a tight fit. I have a retaining ring but it would have to be shaved to have flat edges to miss the light trap on the front standard. It came with what looks like a hacked up housing from whatever camera it was on. I attached that to the front of a wooden Anniversary board and reinforced it from the back. Then the lens barrel just screws in from the front. It's pretty steady on a Crown tripod (stand) but I don't know that I could hand hold the beast.