PDA

View Full Version : Seneca Century Premo WP camera...Are you using one?

Jon Wilson
15-Sep-2012, 21:48
Since whole plate camera film holders are not standardized, I was curious if any one was using a Seneca Century Premo WP Camera with Glass Plates and/or WP film? I believe those WP holders are 7 13/16th inches in width, 9 15/16 inches length, .56 inches/18.5 mm thick with the T-Rib 3.01mm wide and the distance from the inside edge (film/plate side) of the T-rib to the end of the holder is 9 1/8" in length. Can anyone confirm these measurements/dimensions for your Seneca Century Premo WP camera? Thanks. Jon

premortho
16-Sep-2012, 11:43
I'm confused because the Premo name was acquired by Eastman Kodak when they bought out Rochester photographic company around 1903. Premo was a very popular line of folding cameras brought out in the nineties, and also for their introduction of pack film in the U.S.

Jon Wilson
16-Sep-2012, 13:45
Not certain. I just know I have some Whole Plate Holders which are plate holders labeled "Seneca Century Premo" sold by Eastman, Rochester, NY and which have "Eastman No. 3" 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 film sheaths inserts.

premortho
17-Sep-2012, 10:02
I wonder if these were marked as fitting three different makes of cameras. Eastman owned two of the three makes, plus Folmer&Schwing (2 types) and kodak.
Not certain. I just know I have some Whole Plate Holders which are plate holders labeled "Seneca Century Premo" sold by Eastman, Rochester, NY and which have "Eastman No. 3" 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 film sheaths inserts.

Jon Wilson
17-Sep-2012, 20:01
I wonder if these were marked as fitting three different makes of cameras. Eastman owned two of the three makes, plus Folmer&Schwing (2 types) and kodak.
Premortho, you are right these holders were marketed as fitting Seneca, Century & Premo whole plate cameras. In examining the stamped label It states "For Seneca Century Premo" and that it was "MFD By Seneca Camera Mfg. Co.
Rochester, N.Y." The patent date is June 22, 1909
Thanks. Jon