PDA

View Full Version : Lube

Colin Doust
15-Sep-2012, 18:31
Hi

Well i recently started buying my first LF kit, Sinar F 4x5.
I am planning to completely clean it up before i start using it and while i am still waiting to find and buy the remaining parts that i want.
What i have noticed is that most of the movements seem stiffer than i would expect and the grease/lube that i can see seems as if it has dried to some degree and perhaps is not as good as it could be. So i will be totally dismantling the moving parts and cleaning off all the old lube with some kind of solvent and then re-lubricating those moving parts.

My question is, can someone who knows recommend the right or suitable lube to use please ?

Thanks.
Colin

BrianShaw
15-Sep-2012, 18:45
One of the best cleaning solvents I've found is lighter fluid. One of hte best lubricants I've found are the "dry" teflon lubes (liquid when applied but dries fast leaving teflon coating) used for bicycles. There are more traditional greases that can be used but I've been steering away from them because this product leaves cameras smooth functioning and will not attract dirt.

jp
16-Sep-2012, 14:26
One thing that cleans the old grease off really well is brake cleaner spray. Even the stuff advertised as "green" works like magic.

Something a little easier on the brain cells would be hoppe's #9 meant for cleaning gun barrels.

Unless you are subjecting the camera to extreme temperatures, I doubt a particular lube is critical.

Cletus
16-Sep-2012, 16:02
That's a good question about camera "lubricants". I have a Sinar too and also some other stuff (enlargers, lenses, etc.) that could likely benefit from a good cleaning and re-lube.

Anyone know what the OEMs would recommend as a good general purpose thread and gear lube for cameras? I know I'm really just re-asking the OP's question here, but I think it's a good one. :)

Frank Petronio
16-Sep-2012, 17:08
Dry wax lubricants for bicycle chains are good for large moving parts, and you can also get some of their lithium grease at the same shop. Those two should work for just about everything. A stick of Beeswax also comes in handy.

Throw away the WD40!

John Kasaian
16-Sep-2012, 17:40
You might give Ballistol a try as both a solvent & lube. It stinks, but shouldn't harm anything.

vincebrown
16-Sep-2012, 18:25
Hi :D

Mark MacKenzie
16-Sep-2012, 18:37
I think the maintenance manual for the Graflex Graphic View II says to use wax / naptha combination. And they only recommend lubricating the gears. Everything else just clean. Kinda like those Shell wax bars from the past. There's lots of good products. One I really like is Boeshield T9... http://boeshield.com/

EDIT: One thing is that Boeshield protects with a wax coating that you can feel. Works great but you can feel it.

Be careful with harsh solvents like brake cleaner. They will clean and ruin plastic and other materials. Naptha (lighter fluid) is a good mild solvent that cuts grease and gunk. Still, be careful around plastic and bellows materials. Cleanliness is better than too much lubricant whatever it is.

BrianShaw
16-Sep-2012, 18:56
Cleanliness is better than too much lubricant whatever it is.

... and that's a fact!

John Koehrer
16-Sep-2012, 19:15
Dry wax lubricants for bicycle chains are good for large moving parts, and you can also get some of their lithium grease at the same shop. Those two should work for just about everything. A stick of Beeswax also comes in handy.

Throw away the WD40!

What he says. It's really interesting(to me) how well a little bit of wax lubricates. canning wax/car wax/floor wax etc even candle wax rubbed on.

jayabbas
16-Sep-2012, 21:12
Krytox aerospace grease --good stuff Maynard !!

Colin Doust
19-Sep-2012, 03:40
Well despite every brand name mentioned not being familiar at all in this part of the world i have certainly got some good information.
It has so far been a good experience dismantling the camera as it is probably the best way to learn how it all works behind the scenes so to speak.
One thing i have discovered is that the ball and spring which locates the back tilt into the zero position is missing, i guess having it there would make things easier but I'm sure with some care taken it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the advice given so far guys.

Regards
Colin

BrianShaw
19-Sep-2012, 07:40
Well despite every brand name mentioned not being familiar at all in this part of the world i have certainly got some good information.

If you would reveal your location perhaps someone in your part of the world can help with the translation.

E. von Hoegh
19-Sep-2012, 09:21
Hi

Well i recently started buying my first LF kit, Sinar F 4x5.
I am planning to completely clean it up before i start using it and while i am still waiting to find and buy the remaining parts that i want.
What i have noticed is that most of the movements seem stiffer than i would expect and the grease/lube that i can see seems as if it has dried to some degree and perhaps is not as good as it could be. So i will be totally dismantling the moving parts and cleaning off all the old lube with some kind of solvent and then re-lubricating those moving parts.

My question is, can someone who knows recommend the right or suitable lube to use please ?

Thanks.
Colin

Sinar used to supply grease for their cameras, I think it came with the new camera.
A bike shop might be able to supply you with a light lithium grease for the metal-on-metal moving parts sucvh as the focus and locking mechanisms.
The best combination is a small amount of grease and a large amount of cleanliness.

Kirk Gittings
19-Sep-2012, 10:16
You didn't mention where you live and shoot. If it is in dry dusty conditions like the SW, I personally would not use anything but a dry wax lubricant such as for bicycle chains. They also market something similar now for locks. The dry wax lubricants do not trap and hold dust and grit like lubricants that remain in a liquid form. I've been using the wax based lubs now for 10 years or more and never have the problems I used to have with oily grit building up in the gears on windy days.