PDA

View Full Version : Fee for image use on personalized wallpaper...

Richard M. Coda
14-Sep-2012, 13:41
I just got a call from a person who has a client who wants one of my images (from 8x10" negative) printed to custom wallpaper at 15x8 feet for her "workout room". From what I gathered, price was not an object. I know there are places that perform this service printing to a wallpaper substrate. But what should I charge her to use my image? I am really a loss here. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Rich

bob carnie
14-Sep-2012, 14:23
Richard - I would say between $500 to $3000 for this , they handle all the work.

Daniel Stone
14-Sep-2012, 14:37
charge per sq. ft, with a minimum $$$-wise. If you suspect price is "no object", then get what you feel its worth. Start higher than you think its worth, and negotiate downwards, harder to go the other way in the end ;)

-Dan

Frank Petronio
14-Sep-2012, 16:57
Usage: One Location, Community
Term: Forever
Viewership: One, maybe two

Plug that into FotoQuote!

But yeah, a couple grand.

polyglot
14-Sep-2012, 20:51
15x8' is going to cost many thousands just to make the print, so I'd have no trouble asking for a couple grand in license fee. Make sure you have a written license for their use of the image though.

Daniel Stone
15-Sep-2012, 00:31
Oh, make sure to at least 3-4x YOUR costs too, in addition to the license fee. If you don't already have a drum scan of that neg, factor that into your equation. 8x15', even from an 8x10 neg, is still quite a stretch, especially if someone's going to be using it as "wallpaper" to stare at while doing chin-ups...

-Dan

Michael Clark
15-Sep-2012, 06:16
A down payment for the cost of your materials before starting.

Mike

amac212
17-Sep-2012, 07:55
I rely on Shakodo dot com for answers to questions like these. Good luck!

Kirk Gittings
17-Sep-2012, 08:07
Basically as I see it in this circumstance if your selling one time use to a homeowner you are really selling an art print through a pseudo gallery with no reproduction rights while jobbing out the production. Personally I would figure out what I would sell an art print of this size for if I were producing it (not Gursky prices but your prices)-then subtract printing cost (including scan) and installation and gallery percentage (they are likely marking your price up) and you would have a realistic price.

Do some research on the buyer and the printing company if you can. I always research potential buyers if I know their name-it helps me psychologically play hardball if I have a sense of how dep their pockets are. Generally speaking most photographers in related situations where they have little experience with pricing, either go ridiculously low or absurdly high.

cgrab
19-Sep-2012, 07:56
This prospective client might be worth cultivating, if she wants a 8x15 print in her workout room, she might like conventional prints too,...and tell all her friends about you. So it might be worth to try to get to know her personally.

Wishing you success
Christoph