PDA

View Full Version : What in the world is this thing?

hackphotographer
12-Sep-2012, 18:20
Can someone tell me anything about this thing? I certainly would be grateful.

http://www.bidnashville.com/sepWhat1.jpg

http://www.bidnashville.com/sepWhat2.jpg

http://www.bidnashville.com/sepWhat3.jpg

Jim C.
12-Sep-2012, 18:23
HA ! I haven't seen one of those in years, I used it as contact printer when I worked in animation,
the studio that worked at had one like that except it was floor standing so I'll say it's contact printer.

CCB
12-Sep-2012, 18:25
Contact printer

hackphotographer
12-Sep-2012, 18:26
You guys are fantastic. Thanks so much for the prompt replies. I see no makers mark on it so I guess they were homemade perhaps. Any idea what it might be worth? All of the lighting worked in it but it could probably use some fresh cords throughout.

CCB
12-Sep-2012, 18:27
Try to avoid contact with the wire insulation - it's probably asbestos.

hackphotographer
12-Sep-2012, 18:28
Wow, thanks for that info CCB. I didn't even think about it.

Paul Bujak
12-Sep-2012, 19:36
Don't worry about touching the wires. Just don't breathe the dust.

C. D. Keth
12-Sep-2012, 20:39
That looks quite nice. You should replace the wiring and the cork and use it.

E. von Hoegh
13-Sep-2012, 06:52
Wow, thanks for that info CCB. I didn't even think about it.

Unless you pulverise the (possibly) asbestos insulation and snort the dust regularly over a period of years, the likelyhood that it will harm you is non-existant.

Sevo
13-Sep-2012, 07:55
Try to avoid contact with the wire insulation - it's probably asbestos.

I'd be very surprised if it is. In general, fibres in household cord from that period are organic - silk for fine threads, cotton, hemp, sisal or jute for coarse ones. Spun asbestos was seriously expensive and only used where things were intended to get seriously hot, e.g. in toasters, hair driers or the like. And for sheer economics they did not waste expensive fireproofing materials on anything inherently non-fireproof - you won't see a rubber, guttapercha or other non-fireproof insulation combined with an outer asbestos cover. Which makes it easy to check - an asbestos cord will be all asbestos, or have an asbestos inner insulation with some less fireproof outer one.

Switches and sockets from that period probably will contain mica for insulation - now banned as it will release asbestos dust in production, but the final undamaged product is entirely harmless.

desertrat
13-Sep-2012, 08:30
That really looks like woven asbestos insulation to me. I've worked with asbestos insulated wire in the past. If the printer was home built, or the wiring was replaced many years ago in a commercial unit, the person who did the work might have used wire with asbestos insulation if that's what was at hand. Also, if the lights in the box had to be kept on for a considerable length of time, it would quickly get very hot in the box. High temperature insulation (asbestos) would be a good idea in that case, based on the level of technology in the early 20th century. As E. said, no need to get paranoid about it. Asbestos fibers are only harmful if they are inhaled. It would still be a good idea to rewire it with modern (high temperature) wire.

hackphotographer
13-Sep-2012, 09:27
Great information guys. Thank you.

unixrevolution
13-Sep-2012, 09:47
Unless you pulverise the (possibly) asbestos insulation and snort the dust regularly over a period of years, the likelyhood that it will harm you is non-existant.

But why take chances?

E. von Hoegh
13-Sep-2012, 10:04
But why take chances?

What chances?

chassis
13-Sep-2012, 13:17
Love the adjustable position light source (bulb) on sliding ways.