PDA

View Full Version : CPA-2 vs CPE-2

Mike Lyons
4-Mar-2004, 03:47
Hi to all, I want to home process both E-6 and C-41 process films due to the logistics and rising costs of sending them away, Is there sufficient difference between the accuracy of temperature controls and the rotation speeds of the Jobo CPA-2 and CPE-2 to warrant the additional expense of the former? Is the "lift" mechanism a nicety or a necessity? I would envisage having to shell out for an Expert 3010 drum for 4x5 but will the other drums and spirals be O.K for roll film? Thanks in advance-Mike

Larry Gebhardt
4-Mar-2004, 04:39
I have never used the CPE so I can't comment on the differences. I say get the lift as I think it is a necessity. I use the 2500 tanks for 4x5 and roll film and get perfect results with both b&w and E-6. I think the Expert drum sounds nice, but I just can't justify its' purchase. If you plan on doing 8x10 or 5x7 then the Expert Drums are almost required.

Utz-Uwe Haus
4-Mar-2004, 04:45
Hi,

I seem to remember that the Expert Drums do not fit the CPE machine. At least that's what Jobo says on

http://www.jobo.com/joboint/products/3000tank.html

I don't own either (yet :-) but someone else here will probably know the details from personal experience.

later, Utz

Bob._3483
4-Mar-2004, 05:33
I am coming from the other direction from Larry: I have the CPE-2 but have never used the CPA...

I would however agree - the lift is especially useful for colour work as it allows you faster and more accurate drain and fill times. If you can justify the extra cost, get a machine with a lift. A CPE-2 with the 28xx series drums works fine with both roll film reels and the 6-sheet 5x4 film reels (which although a little fiddly to load, work well).

Cheers,

Joel Pinson
4-Mar-2004, 06:24
Mike, if you want to use an Expert Drum (ED) then you definitely a CPA or CPP processor. The CPE won't accept any ED. That being said, you can also process 4x5 in a CPE using a 25xx drum. As far as accuracy of temperature and rotation speed, CPA or CPE should be pretty much equivalent. Main differences: a CPA processor needs much more room, and also allows to process sheet films up to 8x10. Joel

Joel Pinson
4-Mar-2004, 06:34
Forgot one thing: about the lift, it is again required for Expert Drums, and in general highly recommend for E6/C41 processing as it allows to dump and fill the chemicals in a more consistent manner. Joel

Jonathan Lee
4-Mar-2004, 07:40
I use the CPA-2 and Expert drums. I have also used the spiral Jobo reels, which would be the ones you would use for sheet film in a CPE-2. The best thing about Expert drums is how fast they load. I always had trouble loading 4x5 film in the spiral ones. The only down side is that both the drums and the CPA-2 are outrageously expensive new.

karl french
4-Mar-2004, 07:53
Skip the CPE or the CPA and go right to the CPP-2 with a lift. The ability to dial in the temp is very nice. Jobo processors seem the going pretty cheap on Ebay these days (less than I paid for mine a few years ago). Find one that is not too far away from where you live and pick it up after the auction.

Its a great tool.

good luck

karl

Michael Kadillak
4-Mar-2004, 17:29
Karl hit the nail directly on the head. The digital temprature capabilities are a wonderful feature and yes they are cheap and plentiful. The expert drums are the only way to go IMHO. I process 4x5 through 12x20 sheet film in my CPP2 and the results are consistent.No reason to compromise in this area.

Cheers!

Lam
4-Mar-2004, 18:05
If you happen to find a Jobo ATL series machine in working order good condition and cheap, snap it up to. Someone gave up his ATL1000 to me and it works very well, doing the whole process automatically.

There should be lots of these in the USA market used as more and more people dump film dev and go digital ?

Lam

Paul Kierstead
4-Mar-2004, 21:42
Bah. Now you tell me. I just bought a CPE-2 w/lift.

Actually, I suspect I will be happy with it. Leaning towards re-doing the temp control system anyway...

Jonathan Lee
5-Mar-2004, 10:58
I have a CPA-2 and having the "set and forget" type of temperature regulation on a CPP2 would be very helpful, especially if you used multiple processes with different temp requirements. The set temp dial on my CPA-2 does not correspond to the actual temperature. I process at 24oC and I need to set the dial between 22 and 23. It took a few hours of trial and error to figure out the right dial position. Since I only do one process and I don't have to move the dial around, this doesn't bother me.

Anyways, if you buy used CPP-2 and CPA-2 are usually the same price.

scott jones
6-Mar-2004, 08:47
I use the CPP-2 for all my film (120 and 4x5 with ED) and believe it or not, all my black and white fiber base printing in sizes 8x10 to 16x20. I love the machine and would add that the CPP-2 with its automatic temp control was well worth the money. Lastly, I cannot image using the machine without the lift. I am sure it can be done, but the lift keeps you from spilling chemicals, polluting your bath water, and droping a wet drum. I would have bought one at twice the price (really)....

ScottJonesPhoto.com (http://www.scottjonesphoto.com" target="_blank)

tor kviljo
8-Mar-2004, 04:35
I have used CPA & CPE2+. The former is much stronger built (earlier CPE's had frequent motor-breakdown when used with the larger drums, the CPE2+ is much better) Lift is necessary with expert drums, but othervice highly recommended for all drums. But by all means: by USED! The big price difference between CPE vs. CPA/CPP nearly dissappear ( e bay prices) when used and completely takes away any reason not to buy the bigger machines. However, if You do not live in a place where the cold-water solenoid of the CPP is necessary, I would not pay many $$ over the CPA to get the CPP, and the temp-control of the CPA is more than good enough, and much better than on the CPE due to the water circulating pump of the larger two units (no pump on the CPE's) I have gotten lazy - using a ATL-3000: automatic veeery big CPA.

Paul Kierstead
8-Mar-2004, 11:25
I don't even have my CPE2 delivered yet and I am considering mods. First mod I was thinking of was adding a circulation pump; this wouldn't seem to be too hard. Anybody try it? Is it worth the effort? The other, much more major mod, was an external tempering bath for rinse, etc. as well as giving a lot more water mass for temp stabilization. My though was to use an USB RTD for temp measurement, a USB "relay" to an immersion heater, a pump to shift water back and forth. This would allow you to dial in a temp on a computer very easily and is actually pretty easy -- in theory -- to program. First problem I have come across is that I cannot find a cheap USB/RS-232 RTD unit. Thermocouple's data acquisition are a little cheaper but do not really offer the accuracy wanted for E-6 or C-41. And they are now that much cheaper.

Anyway, seems like an interesting idea. If I can find the parts cheap, just might take it on. A little control theory and tweaking is should be easy to type in a temp and nail it to 0.1 degrees, as well as have the comp time out the stages.