PDA

View Full Version : Please help me ID this camera (and assorted questions)

36cm2
10-Sep-2012, 14:26
For a few months now, I've wanted to try 8x10 or ULF, but haven't had the dough to match the commitment. Well, in a fit of rash Craigslisting, I purchased this:

My wife called me crazy when I brought it home. I typically laugh that off, but I think this time she may be right. So, without further ado, can you help me with these questions?

Exactly what kind of camera is this? I can't find maker's marks on it anywhere. It was being sold as a basic 11x14 studio camera, but the opening for the back is about 18"x18" (15"x15" exposed to the interior). It had me thinking wet plate for a moment, but I know very little about that and am inclined to think I'm letting my mind run away with itself.

Does anyone know where I can get a back for it? I'm concerned that the answer is going to be "they're rare; have one built for $$$$". If that's the case, then this purchase may have been for naught.

I know nothing about brass lenses, but a little research suggests this came with a Darlot Magic Lantern 2.5" or 3". I say 2.5 or 3 because the diameter of the lens barrel is 3", but the focal distance from the rear element seems to be 8" (which is right for the 2.5") as opposed to 10" (which is right for the 3" model). Can this lens possibly cover 11x14?

Ideally, I'd love to use this kit to produce paper negative portraits, followed by film contact prints. If I can find a reasonably priced back, I'll likely refurbish the whole thing. It's really cool. But if it's going to involve lots of expense in new bellows (which it needs), a new back and a lens that can cover the acreage, then I'm less inclined to move ahead.

Anyway, thanks very much to all of you for your help. You're an amazing bunch and will certainly know what to make of this (to me) very cool camera.

All the best,
Leo

Steven Tribe
10-Sep-2012, 15:01
OK Leo!

This is from Görlitz. Atelier cameras made by a number of very good makers who also made other type of mahogany cameras.
There are some variations. This one looks like the model I have (yours is just a bigger version).
Plate sizes are 18x24, 24x30, 30x40, 40x50 etc!
A guess would yours is a 30x40 cm (horiz and vertical).
The back attachment is quite simple on these.
There is a good (in my view) thread on this type of studio camera.
Something like "studio camera which is not a Century, ANSCO etc).
Will post more if you show more details.
Are you handy with your hands or does your partner like cutting paper and cloth? If yes, then I can help you with the bellows pattern as I am making a bellows for this exact size this week.

36cm2
10-Sep-2012, 15:38
I'm definitely tackling the bellows myself, so any help with a pattern would be awesome. Thank you so much for the info and for the help!!! I searched google for hours trying to find a picture that looked similar to identify it, with no luck. Would you be able to show me what the back on these typically looks like? Actually, I'll search for that thread and see what other info it has. Thanks very much again.

Leo

Steven Tribe
10-Sep-2012, 16:13
Do an advanced search including Century, ANSCO, Deardorf and the thread will appear (last post august this year).
I get the impression that the support for the rear has already been modified.
More detailed photos necessary.
I think this will just fit the usual Century Stand (table length and distance bweteen the uprights).

36cm2
10-Sep-2012, 18:02
Just found the thread. Great stuff. All the more reason to find a back and get this thing back to glory. Any thoughts on how hard that will be?

36cm2
10-Sep-2012, 18:40
Now i see what you mean about the modified back. I'll get some better pictures. Thanks for the help.

Steven Tribe
11-Sep-2012, 15:12
This is a camera of your type (but the 24x24 size) currently on sale here.
You can see the early single type plate holder with loading door at the back.
This is the Victorian furniture style stand which went of fashion around the century start.
Your wife will be glad it didn't come with your camera!

36cm2
11-Sep-2012, 18:02
Actually, my wife and I would love it. We restored our home over several years back to its original 1910 glory. We also refinished a 1906 Chickering Grand Piano that had been lacquered green in the 1960s and we have an early Victrola in the front room. That camera and stand are awesome. She wants to know why the cameras I get on Craigslist don't look that beautiful!! How much do they want for it? That should settle her down...

Steven Tribe
12-Sep-2012, 01:12
PM has been sent - no advertising here.
It looks like it could work straightaway.
Often prices are pushed up because of Cooke lenses or big early Petzvals - but that is not the case here (30mm tessar F4.5 in large Compound).

36cm2
14-Sep-2012, 20:53
Steven, oh I went and did it. The camera's in parts all over the floor. And somehow three beers have appeared next to it! I hope this beauty gets back together better than it was before. Wish me luck.

C. D. Keth
14-Sep-2012, 21:44
I'm definitely tackling the bellows myself, so any help with a pattern would be awesome.

Leo

You already have the pattern: the old bellows. You may even be able to simply reuse the stiffeners.

Emil Schildt
15-Sep-2012, 04:46
where is that on sale? Lauritz? (can't find it)

This is a camera of your type (but the 24x24 size) currently on sale here.
You can see the early single type plate holder with loading door at the back.
This is the Victorian furniture style stand which went of fashion around the century start.
Your wife will be glad it didn't come with your camera!

36cm2
15-Sep-2012, 05:16
It was on sale. 2718610 on Lauritz. Sold for €360 and fees, i believe. Beautiful camera.

Steven Tribe
15-Sep-2012, 05:46
This price is exactly in line with all the other studio sets I have seen ( and sometimes bought) during the past 3 years.
Only when is an obvious identifiable classic lens, do they go for more.

Sorry Emil, but it was noted here on the 12th and you would have recognised the product photo from Lauritz.
Do you really need more?

Emil Schildt
15-Sep-2012, 06:53
Sorry Emil, but it was noted here on the 12th and you would have recognised the product photo from Lauritz.
Do you really need more?

apparently...

I only noticed this thread today - I noticed the lauritz name on the image - I searched, but nothing came up.. (I guess the auction ended)
I also tried the number given by 36cm2 - nothing..(except a small table..)

So I am not clever enough it seems.

But I have now found it in ended listings..

(I just wanted to see it - I would have bought it if they would accept me as a customer, but they won't...)