PDA

View Full Version : Canham 6x17 rollfilm back

hiend61
10-Sep-2012, 04:16
I discovered this 6x17 rollfilm back in Canham's website. It would be perfect for me. The fact is that I use a Sinar 5x7 and Canham says that this rollfilm is designed to work in Canham 5x7 Cameras. Have any of you tried Canham 6x17 rollfilm back in a Sinar 5x7?. Any modification needed?. Thanks in advance.

Jeff Keller
11-Sep-2012, 11:00
It fits the Canham 5x7 perfectly, but it doesn't slide under the ground glass. You have to pop off the glass after focusing and attach the RFB. It is similar to use as Horseman RFBs. No modifications, just slower to use than slide under the ground glass film holders.

Jeff Keller

Ed Bray
11-Sep-2012, 13:11
I bought one from a member on here which arrived on Monday, but I will not get a chance to use it until I return from Egypt on the 28th. I do have a Canham MQC though, I also know it fits the Walker XL57.

Oren Grad
11-Sep-2012, 16:30
To use the Canham 6x17 rollholder you need to have either a back with a removable GG panel and Graflok-style sliders designed to fit the Canham holder (the Canham MQC has this, as do a few other cameras - I think the Walker, also some late-model Osaka 5x7's imported to the US by Bromwell), or you need a regular spring back that opens very wide to be able to swallow the holder as a slide-in, possibly together with a GG protector.

The 5x7 Sinar backs don't have a removable GG panel nor Graflok-style sliders. Also, my 5x7 Sinar back doesn't open very wide; I doubt very much whether the Canham rollholder would fit. The alternative would be to have a back designed to accept the Canham adapted to fit on your Sinar.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
12-Sep-2012, 03:35
8040580406Six years ago I got an assignment to photograph a panorama that was to be enlarged 3 feet high an 210 feet long. For this I bought the Canham 6x17 back to use on the Canham 5x7" wooden camera. When on a roof in high wind behind a golf umbrella with a long and heavy plasmat lens I felt I needed somewhat a more stable setup. Then I got a friend to make me an adapter to a Sinar Norma ground glass back. I had two 5x7" ground glass backs for the Norma but they were matching exactly in dimensions. So I focused with the ground glass one and then exchanged the whole back frame to the one with the adapter.

hiend61
14-Sep-2012, 18:22
I was closely inspecting my Sinar P2 5x7 back, and I think the best solution is to make an adapter, but anyway, itīs a very difficult task. Thank you all for your answers. It would be a nice solution for my 5x7 back, since there is not any 13x18 color film available.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
14-Sep-2012, 19:05
There is a 5x7 inch color negative film but it costs more each week that passes
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761617-USA/Kodak_1355825_5x7_Professional_Portra_Color.html

vinny
14-Sep-2012, 19:09
I was closely inspecting my Sinar P2 5x7 back, and I think the best solution is to make an adapter, but anyway, itīs a very difficult task. Thank you all for your answers. It would be a nice solution for my 5x7 back, since there is not any 13x18 color film available.
I saw some listed on macodirect.de today as well.

hiend61
17-Sep-2012, 00:46
Thank you for the link. It's a shame what is happening with 13x18/5x7. I heard than in the USA, Canham has an arrangement with Kodak to make film by order on a minimum order basis. Canham collect orders and deliver film. Any of you know if anyone does the same in Europe?.

toyotadesigner
20-Sep-2012, 00:43
You might check nordfoto.de

At least they offer 5x7" black and white:
http://www.nordfoto.de/Analoge-Fotografie/Verbrauchsmaterial/Filme/Schwarzweissfilme:::1_2_3_4:2.html

Be careful with the 13x18 film - they are a tad smaller in size and won't fit tightly into a 5x7" holder.