PDA

View Full Version : Film changing bag or tent...

jk0592
9-Sep-2012, 18:02
Yes,
I know that the changing tent, à la Harrison, is much preferred by members of this forum; the main reason being the dust/dirt picked up by the changing bag during travels or hikes is considerable compared to a tent.
However i have used a changing bag for the last 20 years or so, without the dust/dirt problem, because I always loaded my 120 films in spirals, at home and in the darkroom.
Now i am wondering, while waiting for my first few film loaders, whether or not to buy a tent. Again, same pattern, I intend to load/unload film sheets at home in the darkroom, far away from dust problems; there will be no film manipulation away from home. The tent has to be setup and then would need a large area on the dry side of the darkroom.
What then would I gain from the tent?

Roger Thoms
9-Sep-2012, 18:22
Nice thing about a darkroom is that you shouldn't need a tent or changing bag. Is your darkroom completely dark? If not maybe you ahold address that problem rather than spending the money on a tent.

Roger

lenser
9-Sep-2012, 18:55
The tent isn't for your darkroom, it's for the bed in your motel room after a long day's shooting in the field, maybe even for the hood of your car or the grass along that dusty trail well back in the wilderness. But, I'm betting you flat out that once you own one, you will be kicking yourself for your years of fighting the collapsed cloth of the changing bag that is ALWAYS in the way of your hands and of finding the film, boxes, reels, tanks, etc that are inside, also draped in useless folds of cloth that is just a royal pain. It's much worse with sheet film than with roll film, so just wait and try it if you are unconvinced about the huge benefits of the tent design.

Once the gear and your arms are inside the tent, you have unlimited freedom of movement in a big open space and easy organization to move around and quickly locate your film, the holders and anything else you have inside.

One word, Get the Harrison, preferably mid size as it will allow for even 8x10 film and holders space. Avoid the Changing Room style as you have curved sides at the base of the walls. With a smaller footprint to begin with and the curved edges kicking back anything you try to push off to the edges, the design limits your usable floor area to considerably smaller than the given dimensions plus they are a bit of a pain to collapse.

The Harrison tent design may take a couple of minutes longer to set up, but it is way roomier, has a totally usable floor out to the edges, and is a dream to work in.

r.e.
9-Sep-2012, 19:17
I have a Harrison Jumbo tent, and I can't imagine anyone in his or her right mind using it in a darkroom. The whole point is that one uses it either if one doesn't have access to a darkroom or one prefers changing film in daylight while doing the changing by feel.

I happen to be in the latter camp (changing in a darkroom is after all also by feel), but I wouldn't do it for 8x10 with anything smaller than the Harrison Jumbo. Although I gather that lots of people do it with the standard Harrison. For 35mm and medium format, where the issue, for me at least, isn't loading film into a camera but rather transferring it to a Kindermann daylight tank, the much smaller Photoflex tent works fine.

joselsgil
9-Sep-2012, 21:37
JK0592,

What is the largest size film you plan on working with? If you plan on working in 8X10, I would recommend the Harrison Jumbo tent.

Personally, I have used a changing bag, Calumet's changing room and a Harrison Jumbo tent. I use the Calumet the most because of it's size, as I am loading film from 35mm to 5X7. The Jumbo tent is great, but requires more space to set up. Since I have been using X-ray film for my 8X10 camera, I can load the holders under a red safety light and have not used the Jumbo tent for 8X10 just yet. However, once out in the field or in a hotel room, the Harrison tent will be required.

Jose

welly
9-Sep-2012, 21:57
Has anyone seen, used or owned one of the Chinese rip-offs of the Harrison tent?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3S-KangRinpoche-Film-Changing-Tent-up-8-10-films-/200799219980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec090f10c#ht_5940wt_1042

I would love to order a Harrison tent but, as usual, the postage is prohibitive and adds another $150 to the price.

chuck94022
9-Sep-2012, 22:08
I only go up to 4x5. I use a calumet changing room a my darkroom at home (I am not doing wet printing.) it is sufficient for loading sheet film into holders and into development drums. I also load 35mm and 120 into drums in the calumet.

I pack a simple changing bag in my kit when I hike into the field as an emergency bag. I have had use for it on a couple of occasions. I would not hike with the calumet, the folded up disk is just too bulky compared to a simple bag.

I like the calumet a lot. It is easy one motion folding, and has a lot of room. I think it compares very favorably to the Harrison. The Harrison might fold up smaller, I don't know. But the calumet is quicker.

C. D. Keth
9-Sep-2012, 22:53
I think the tent is more than worth it.

I've loaded millions of feet of 35mm film (literally, I'm not exaggerating) and I would have gone nuts if I would have had to do it in a changing bag.

Bags tend to introduce more dust than tents, too, for a couple of reasons: The top side of the bag is always rubbing on your magazine/holder, possibly letting off bits of fabric. Also, you're constantly pushing the fabric up with your hands to try and make it "tent" by stiffness of fabric alone, which seems to increase the possibility of static problems.

Changing bags are spares or for emergencies. Use your darkroom at home and a tent elsewhere.

l2oBiN
15-Sep-2012, 23:22
Harrison is the way to go if you require reloading film when a darkroom is unavailable. It can get a bit sweety I'm there so a larger tent is most comfortable.

John Kasaian
16-Sep-2012, 07:59
I have a Panavision changing bag and no complaints.
If it was good enough for Panavision...

jk0592
16-Sep-2012, 12:24
Well from all the good advice given here, it looks that the tent clearly wins over the changing bag. I will put the Harrison tent on the gear to be acquired list, and will not spend money on a larger changing bag as I planned. On the positive side, the tent would serve to load/unload 4x5 film holders, and would also be used to load 120 film into the spirals and tank. Double use is always a good thing.

Michael Clark
18-Sep-2012, 21:37
I have one of those KangRi tents and it works ok for 5x7 but a little cramped for 8x10. used it in broad day light with no light leaks, for the price it worked out good. Have used a Harrison tent think it was the jumbo so there was more room.

Mike
Has anyone seen, used or owned one of the Chinese rip-offs of the Harrison tent?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3S-KangRinpoche-Film-Changing-Tent-up-8-10-films-/200799219980?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec090f10c#ht_5940wt_1042

I would love to order a Harrison tent but, as usual, the postage is prohibitive and adds another $150 to the price.

edp
19-Sep-2012, 00:36

Yeah, I've got one of those (mine hasn't got all the embroidery for the name). It's light-tight and it does what it's supposed to do. I'm happy with it. I don't do 8x10 but It's got room inside to open up a book-form half plate wooden plate holder.

Former Member 27732
24-Sep-2012, 04:24
$150 shipping?????

John Berry
1-Oct-2012, 22:29
If I had plenty of room I would carry a tent, if backpacking I would carry a tent. One to sleep in too.

rdenney
2-Oct-2012, 07:32
I just bought one of those KangRi tents, and it works very well. I had been using a Photoflex Changing Room that I'd bought from Petronio, and it worked well, too. But my wife packed sunscreen in a spray can in the same duffel--you see where this is going. Whatever propellant that stuff used took the silver lightproofing right off that Photoflex product.

The KangRi folds up nicely and is easy to erect. It's not as easy as the Photoflex, but it does a better job of providing floor space for laying out the film, box lids, empty holders, filled holders, etc., without accidentally turning it over.

Rick "who has not yet performed a light-proof test" Denney

Joe Smigiel
6-Oct-2012, 16:23
You might also investigate a Fuji FDB-12 changing room. It is essentially a large changing bag that is supported by an exterior frame so it forms a cube about 2' on each side. It sets up in about 10 seconds and collapses in just a bit more. It is attached to a fiberboard (mdf?) base that folds in half,straps together, and has a handle for carrying like an attache. I've used other changing bags as well as the Calumet (Photoflex?) Changing Room, and have watched others use a Harrison tent. I'd pick the Fuji any day over them. They come up on ebay every once in awhile for $40-$50.

C. D. Keth
6-Oct-2012, 17:14
2'x2' isn't very much "floor" space if you're changing anything larger than 4x5 or maybe 5x7.

C. D. Keth
6-Oct-2012, 21:07
I have a Panavision changing bag and no complaints.
If it was good enough for Panavision...

Panavision gave me a changing tent after a show rented through them. It was a Harrison tent with Panavision logos on it. ;)

RedSun
11-Oct-2012, 19:43
Get both tent and bag. Use tent when you get a lot to do, or load large film. Use bag when you want something quick.
They do not cost that much.

bicubic
29-Oct-2012, 20:42
I agree, the Harrison tent is a fantastic piece of kit. A damp cloth wipes out the inside perfectly—mine is still pristine and it has been in very harsh environments. The carry bag is well made too. I normally carry two bags – a change bag and my Harrison – the Harrison gets used every time. People wanting to have conversations with you, asking what you're doing while the sweat builds on your arms is another matter...

Ari
11-Dec-2012, 08:39
Resurrecting this thread because I'd like to know if anyone has tried any of the Chinese knock-offs, specifically with 8x10.
Here are links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280925893825?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190763673515&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_3529wt_1398

Andrew O'Neill
11-Dec-2012, 09:01
People wanting to have conversations with you, asking what you're doing while the sweat builds on your arms is another matter...

Just say, "bubble-boy is inside and I'm changing his diaper".

bobwysiwyg
11-Dec-2012, 09:21
I agree, the Harrison tent is a fantastic piece of kit. A damp cloth wipes out the inside perfectly—mine is still pristine and it has been in very harsh environments. The carry bag is well made too. I normally carry two bags – a change bag and my Harrison – the Harrison gets used every time. People wanting to have conversations with you, asking what you're doing while the sweat builds on your arms is another matter...

I'm finally taking this advice, er I mean I think Santa is. :rolleyes: I've been getting by with a Photoflex Changing Room for 4x5, but it is a bit too tight in there for my taste coupled with the fact that the changing "room" doesn't have a flat floor. :)

Robert Langham
11-Dec-2012, 10:02
I've used a bag for years. The last couple times I had light leaks while loading film in daytime. I'm quick with it and always in the deepest shade I can find and usually with darkcloth draped over bag. (I put on a long-sleeved shirt to get a better seal in the armholes but I think the right one has lost it's elasticity.) Night loading, no problem. Carrying a bag because I frequently hike up somewhere and sleep overnight waiting on light and the bag folds up and rides in a pocket on camera pack. Plus I've been a cheap fellow and not sprung for a tent. If I ever see YOU with a loading tent in a campground, I'm liable to hang around for a while...

Last trip to Canyon de Chelly we were in a motel every night and I carried 10 film holders per day so I never used bag. Never quite shot out, though I did run through 19 one day. Shoot two negs per scene, mostly. All 5X7.

85261 Shiprock Shadow, morning. I'm sure this film was loaded in a bag after dark. Had spent the night up there.

Ari
11-Dec-2012, 14:08
Resurrecting this thread because I'd like to know if anyone has tried any of the Chinese knock-offs, specifically with 8x10.
Here are links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280925893825?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190763673515&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_3529wt_1398

Ari
13-Dec-2012, 07:26
Anyone have any experience with either or both of the changing tents I linked to above?
Better to get a tent-shaped bag or the big box type? Preferences?

Thank you.

gliderbee
13-Dec-2012, 12:54
Anyone have any experience with either or both of the changing tents I linked to above?
Better to get a tent-shaped bag or the big box type? Preferences?

Thank you.

I have the tent-shaped one. Excellent quality. I did not try it yet with 8x10, but it does look big enough.

Stefan

xmishx
13-Dec-2012, 15:10
I've got a Calumet Tent that I use to load up 4x5 holders and also to put on reels for my Jobo tank. Floor space is important, but if you need height as well, the Calumet works very well...

Ari
13-Dec-2012, 20:33
Thanks guys.
I already use a Photoflex changing tent, similar to the Calumet tent, but it is a verrrry tight squeeze for 8x10.
The Chinese tents/bags look like they're of good quality, but I just wonder about ease of loading, one vs the other, since one has more vertical space, and the tent has a slight edge in floor area.

Vick Ko
13-Dec-2012, 20:38
Certainly the price of the Chinese ones is attractive. I may try it.

Vick

Fred L
14-Dec-2012, 06:19
Much will depend on where you plan to use the tents Ari. I have a Photoflex tent and the interior volume is great but the spring hoops make it impractical for field use imo so doesn't get used very much anymore. The Harrison/ Shadow Box style could use more height (=volume) but they pack smaller and can be strapped to a pack.

Ari
14-Dec-2012, 06:34
Thanks, Fred; my hiking is mostly restricted to the urban variety, so the changing bag stays at home/hotel.

kpphoto
21-Jan-2013, 10:17
I have 2 of the Fuji FDB-12...one is pristine for loading film holders - 8x10 and 11x14 are a snap. I have a well used one I keep near the Jobo for unloading into the drums. These are bit of a beast for transporting on location though. I am looking into a Jumbo Harrison for trips away when I dont want to carry this Fuji Dark-House with me. ha!

C. D. Keth
25-Jan-2013, 10:15
If you need a changing tent and want to be very lightweight, you can load pretty effectively down in a sleeping bag in dim light. You can also take a harrison tent minus the poles and use it as a bag. Or, if loading with your darkbag falling onto your hands and film all the time bothers you, you can take a harrison tent without the poles and use a bit of cord to hold the peak up by tying it up to the ceiling of your tent.

Professional
28-Jan-2013, 03:35
I have a Photoflex [ think] tent, using it for 120 films loading, and i used it to load 4x5 sheets too without issues, love it and zero regret.

Fred L
28-Jan-2013, 07:03
re: hanging the Harrison, that's a great tip Christopher, that would make a big difference on backpacking trips !

ghoonk
23-Mar-2013, 14:13
I have a Photoflex as well, and it's been fantastic for loading 4x5, and unloading everything else. haven't seen the chinese ones, but I really don't like the Calumet ones at all.