PDA

View Full Version : Bender 4x5 question

alleycatandy
9-Sep-2012, 16:12
I just completed the assembly of a Bender Kit started years ago by a friend. I have several riteway film holders that where included in the kit. When I attempt to insert the holders I find the protrusion "lip" on the film holder is keeping the holder from setting flat and parallel, that in turn could cause focus problems. I am newbe looking for words of wisdom.

vinny
9-Sep-2012, 17:20
I'd use a straight edge and make a V using a utility knife to enlarge the groove that accepts the film holder lip. If there isn't a groove, cut one. I've never seen or used a bender though.

polyglot
10-Sep-2012, 00:03
Yep, make a groove. That lip (in conjunction with the spring in the back) is meant to lock the holder in tightly. When you hear it click in, you know the holder is in properly.

Kuzano
10-Sep-2012, 05:29
All (well, I think all) Large Format cameras have a groove that coincides with that lip you mentioned. As mentioned, when the lip clicks into the groove, the film holder is fully in place and the face surface around the film opening sits flat on the camera back.

alleycatandy
10-Sep-2012, 06:35
I'd use a straight edge and make a V using a utility knife to enlarge the groove that accepts the film holder lip. If there isn't a groove, cut one. I've never seen or used a bender though.

Doug Herta
10-Sep-2012, 21:45
I just looked at the Bender I built in 1997. The horizontal wood pieces on the camera that face the rear (where the film holder slips in) have a notch on the right end of the piece - the lip of the film holder should slip into the notch on the upper and lower wood pieces. If the rear face of the camera where the film holder fits does not have those notches, you have installed those two wood pieces incorrectly. See where the notches on the two pieces of wood ended up.

Your best bet at this point would be to cut the groove at the very end of those pieces as vinny suggested. If you need more help I can post a photo of what it SHOULD look like.

Drew Bedo
11-Sep-2012, 06:06
Does this thread belong on the DIY board?

alleycatandy
15-Sep-2012, 18:17
Thanks for the help everyone, in the end it turned out to be: a film holder with a "warp" started to check with other holders and fit right in. How do we "cut" the thread ??