PDA

View Full Version : What's This For???

tgtaylor
8-Sep-2012, 19:01
The chain with the littkle hook hanging along the side of this Toyo-View Binocular Viewing Hood shown attached to the 45CF?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8179/7959396474_af4310a1dc_c.jpg

Thomas

Tim k
8-Sep-2012, 19:09
Fish hook holder?
How many guesses do we get?

C. D. Keth
8-Sep-2012, 19:43
Eyeglasses?

tgtaylor
8-Sep-2012, 19:43
This aint no joke Tim. I recently purchased this, which came without instructions, and this morning I figured out how to attach it to the cameras but I am at a loss for what the chain and hook are for. The chain is attached to a thin rod extending vertically and at the bottom the rod is bent horizontally across the body. I can't figure out its purpose.

Thomas

Tim k
8-Sep-2012, 20:19
Sorry, I couldnt help myself.

tgtaylor
8-Sep-2012, 20:25
No problem Tim. It does look like a fish hook:)

lenser
8-Sep-2012, 20:32
Since this (like my Cambo version) is built to open on a built in hinge, is there any possibility that this might be a simple keeper hook to attach to the camera body and to hold the body of the viewfinder open when you want to use a loupe on the ground glass for fine focusing? Seems like that would be a convenience to stop it from smacking into the side of your head either in a wind or if the camera is at an odd angle that would cause it to try to swing closed.

tgtaylor
8-Sep-2012, 20:47
That makes sense Lenser. I still have the camera set-up as above in the living room and tried hooking it to the holes on the front standard in the photo. Not long enough. But the hook does attach to the accessory shoe on the top of the camera snd holds the viewer in place when it is swung away from the back as when you're using a loup on the GG.

Thomas

lenser
8-Sep-2012, 21:10
I think I'm going to figure out a way to make one for my Cambo for just that purpose as I've been whacked a few times without even considering a solution other than glaring at it.

By the way, looking at your photo of the camera, it does look like it might be the right length to just hook on the front edge of the side of the back standard. Is the gap on the hook wide enough for that?

tgtaylor
9-Sep-2012, 08:36
I think I'm going to figure out a way to make one for my Cambo for just that purpose as I've been whacked a few times without even considering a solution other than glaring at it.

By the way, looking at your photo of the camera, it does look like it might be the right length to just hook on the front edge of the side of the back standard. Is the gap on the hook wide enough for that?

It's wide enough but hooking it on the back standard doesn't hold it taut as there is too much slack in the chain. There's no slack when hooked it to the assessory shoe and the viewer swings completely away from the GG.

BTW, I wear glasses for both distance and reading but when focusing on the GG I don't need glasses. When I apply a loop the the GG I need my distance glasses on. When I fiocus with the viewer above, I need my reading glasses on!

Thomas

lenser
9-Sep-2012, 12:56
I don't know if that's the intended use, but it sort of makes sense. I'm the same on my Cambo, the specs have to stay on in use and then try to figure out which of the trifocal sections gives me the best version.

photobymike
9-Sep-2012, 13:36
Seriously ... a couple of years ago i had this same setup. i ponder the the "chain" for months. i had long forgot about. Now drat you have put that question back in my head like an earwig.... like herpes it will not go away .... now i will not die until i find out why