PDA

View Full Version : Found a box of kodak Tech Pan 4415 in 4x5 - what is this stuff?

learning_jd
8-Sep-2012, 10:29
Today I stumbled on a un-opened box of 4x5 Tech pan 4415 (thick base) film. I then remembered it was given to me when I purchased a 4x5 monorail camera. On the outside, it looked like the box was opened and I really thought nothing of it. The expiration date was 11/2001. So today when I saw it I thought what the heck. Let's see if there is any film in it and if it's bad.

Well, the box was open but the white pack inside was not. So I loaded up 1 side of a holder and went outside and stuck it in my Speed Graphic. I wasn't sure what to set the speed, so I guessed 100. (Yes, there is a chart on the back of the box.) Pointed the camera to the backyard and cloud-filled sky I placed the wood fence on zone 4 and white cloud on 8 with a Yellow 11 filter. Meter said 1/8 sec at f/32 but shutter does 1/10. Ok. Click.

Developed it in straight old (but in a air-tight container) ID-11 for 8 1/2 minutes in a drum (constant agitation). I really wasn't expecting anything, but holy smokes! The negative is good! The sky is almost black (still see cloud definitions). Fence is light gray and can see loads of detail.

So... what should I do with it? I'm sure I was all over the place with it's speed rating and sloppy developing. But at least I know the film seems viable.

I've only shot with modern stuff (Tmax in rolls but rest all sorts of ILFORD in both rolls and sheets). It this similar to any modern film? Must/should I use a specific developer and only a certain way to develop it? Is it anything special of should I just blow through it like any other film?

Any insight would be welcomed.

Jon

Vaughn
8-Sep-2012, 11:10
Very nice film -- usually closer to 16 or 25 ASA. High contrast (and very fine-grain) film and needs a low-contrast developer for normal pictorial use. Kodak made a developer for it for pictorial use (Techinol) but no longer available, but I believe Photographer's Formulary has a replacement.

I like it for alt processes because one can get very high contrast in otherwise low contrast scenes. If you can tame the contrast (try it in very low contrast situations), you will be amazed at the sharpness and fine-grain. As the name suggests, it is a technical film -- not an ordinary film.

vinny
8-Sep-2012, 11:30
mail it to me, it's no good for anything. You may want to search "tech pan" before doing so though. This one was developed in rodinal 1:100, jobo.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8157/7544207100_6ca126eec9_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/62218065@N00/7544207100/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/62218065@N00/7544207100/) by vinnywalsh.com (http://www.flickr.com/people/62218065@N00/), on Flickr

Brian C. Miller
8-Sep-2012, 12:22
Techpan was Kodak's best film, ever. Nya nya nya you Tri-X lovers!

Seriously, it was Kodak's finest-grain B&W film. Nothing has replaced it. It's an ISO25 film, and should be developed in Technidol. Photographer's Formulary does sell a replacement developer. The next-best B&W film is Fujifilm Acros 100.

Techpan is a bit extended in it's red sensitivity. Not like Ilford SFX, which is a decent IR film, but it gives a nice boost to portraits.

learning_jd
8-Sep-2012, 17:26
Wow - thanks for the replies (and a very sweet photo).

Ok, this is weird, but I went into the shed for some 'shed shopping' where I have some 'retro' Kodak chemistry that I got when I picked up my enlarger last year. And what did I find? These little packets of TECHNIDOL - 6 in a box - that each makes 8 oz of working solution!

But the insert says to mix it 50% weaker for tray processing sheet film. But I don't tray process. I use a unicolor drum for 5x7 or 8x10 prints.

So... is there a way to modify for constant agitation drum, or do I have to learn how to tray process? (yeah.... never done it and hang my head in shame.)

(Oh, I noticed I said in original post I used a Yellow 11 filter - it was a Yellow 12.)

Jon

Brian C. Miller
8-Sep-2012, 20:19

If you have a full box, you'll still need more developer. You mix it at tray strength, and use it one-shot and toss it. Rotatry development time is what Kodak recommends -10%. It comes out beautifully.