PDA

View Full Version : Peak 8x Loupe

matthew_MH45
7-Sep-2012, 12:17
I'm looking for a stronger loupe to replace my Fuji 4x. Would this Peak 8x Loupe (http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/peak_8x_loupe_with_neck_strap/pc2018) work for focusing on ground glass specifically? I won't really be using this for any other purpose.

Alan Gales
7-Sep-2012, 12:49
Just make sure that it comes with the opaque skirt for focussing on a ground glass. The clear skirt as shown in your picture is for slide and negative viewing on a light table.

matthew_MH45
7-Sep-2012, 13:02
I don't think this loupe includes an opaque skirt, but I was planning on either covering the clear skirt with electrical tape or paint. I have heard you need a "focusing loupe" to adjust the focus to the front side of the ground class to achieve the best possible critical focus, is this true?

Alan Gales
7-Sep-2012, 13:18
B&H sells Peak 4X loupes with both skirts included. You might check around and see if the 8x can also be purchased this way.

From my understanding the loupes that can be adjusted for focus are made this way for people with poor eyesight who have trouble focussing with normal loupes. If your eyesight is fine then you don't need the adjustable focus. Maybe one of our local experts who know more than I can comment.

Doremus Scudder
7-Sep-2012, 15:14
I don't think this loupe includes an opaque skirt, but I was planning on either covering the clear skirt with electrical tape or paint. I have heard you need a "focusing loupe" to adjust the focus to the front side of the ground class to achieve the best possible critical focus, is this true?

Matthew,

I've used just such a loupe for many years now. I prefer more magnification than most, and find that 8x or even 10x makes my focusing more precise. I am also not bothered by the grain of the ground glass and the concentric Fresnel rings that many complain of at higher focusing magnifications.

A comment on your concerns: First, having an opaque skirt on the loupe may be helpful to some, but I find it unnecessary. In fact, I have a really nice 8x aspherical loupe that I have in my European camera kit that simply pops out of a protective case and is held as you would a magnifying glass. Works just fine with nothing between it and the ground glass.

Second, yes, you do need to focus on the plane of the ground glass where the image is projected. Many 8x loupes offer a focus adjustment feature (my two Nikon loupes do), but many do not. To use a loupe that does not have this feature, you can do a couple of things. 1. you can cut, sand or file the bottom of the loupe so that it focuses for you. 2. You can do as I do, simply turn the loupe around so that you are looking through the skirt and find focus by moving the loupe closer or farther from the ground glass till you get the proper position.

With this latter method, you have to hold the loupe at the right distance; there is nothing touching the ground glass to position it with this method (except maybe a finger as an aid), but it has the advantage that you can tilt the loupe to find the best viewing position. This is particularly helpful with shorter focal-length lenses. I find this method best for me; it is what I do 100% of the time and have done for years.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

vinny
7-Sep-2012, 15:29
I have one of these for sale if you're interested (send PM). I never covered the clear base with anything nor had any issues. Barely used since I switched to a lower magnification Peak (6x) when I got a new camera with a different ground glass.

Brian Ellis
7-Sep-2012, 16:25

I used that loupe for quite a while. It was too strong for me, I prefer the Peak 4x, but it otherwise was fine. But since you're looking for something stronger it should be fine for you. I wrapped some black tape around the skirt. I think, but am not sure, that Peak also makes an 8x that has a black skirt.

I don't know that everyone "needs" a loupe for critical focus but I think they're very desirable for that purpose. Some people use other things - e.g. strong reading glasses, camera lenses, etc. Maybe some people don't use anything except their eyes. But to me a loupe was ideal - small, light, easy to carry around your neck.

Brian Ellis
7-Sep-2012, 16:28

I used that loupe for quite a while. It was too strong for me, I prefer the Peak 4x, but it otherwise was fine. But since you're looking for something stronger it should be fine for you. I don't think I wrapped anything around the skirt and I don't remember the clear skirt creating any problems. Maybe if stray light got in there would be a problem but I was always under the dark cloth when I used the loupe. I think, but am not sure, that Peak also makes an 8x that has a black skirt though the black tape should work fine too if it makes you feel better.

I don't know that everyone "needs" a loupe for critical focus but I think they're very desirable for that purpose. Some people use other things - e.g. strong reading glasses, camera lenses, etc. Maybe some people don't use anything except their eyes. But to me a loupe was ideal - small, light, easy to carry around your neck.

matthew_MH45
7-Sep-2012, 17:04
I am torn about the 8x. I am using a 4x now and I just have trouble getting it precise. I don't want 8x to be too powerful. I guess I could take the leap and see what happens. Thanks for your suggestions and comments everyone.

brucetaylor
7-Sep-2012, 17:45
Or you can split the difference at 6x. I'm happy with this one, here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hening-6x-Focusing-Loupe-Type-II-MC-Large-Format-Camera-/270766222113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0aecab21).

joselsgil
7-Sep-2012, 22:26
Matthew,

Why not try an inexpensive 8X loupe to see if it isn't too strong of a magnification? You can usually find them for a few $$.

matthew_MH45
8-Sep-2012, 07:50
Thanks Joselsgil, I will try that today. I have a little 10x loupe I used to use for inspecting 35mm negatives.

vinny
8-Sep-2012, 17:13
Here's the pics you requested since I don't know how to attach them to a PM.