PDA

View Full Version : Good car case for 4-6 Sinar board lenses?

Frank Petronio
6-Sep-2012, 07:05
Is there anything good and inexpensive that readily holds 4-6 lens mounted on Sinar lens boards? Like a certain tackle box or tool carrier?

Before scouring the Earth I figure somebody else has likely already found one. I typically carry my lenses in Neoprene wraps in a cluttered pile inside a much larger view camera case, but for shooting around home and out of the car, having a separate lens case would make more sense. All the better if I can buy something ready made that isn't necessarily a "photo" case.

Cletus
6-Sep-2012, 07:22
Good question Frank - I'd like to know this too.

I've looked at Lightware and Tenba, who both make some nice cases, but they definitely don't meet the "inexpensive" criteria!

Photobackpacker cases are nice, but to me, not all the great as stand-alone cases. They really need to be integrated into the backpack / backerboard system to be best.

Pelican cases and their similar "progeny" are okay, but heavy, bulky and also expensive.

I'll be interested in ideas here too!

Joseph Dickerson
6-Sep-2012, 07:57
Might try a fishing reel case from Cabela's, Pro Bass Shop or some such. I found a great little bag that I use for carrying Grafmatice holders on sale at Cabela's for $10.

JD

rdenney
6-Sep-2012, 08:02
Is there anything good and inexpensive that readily holds 4-6 lens mounted on Sinar lens boards? Like a certain tackle box or tool carrier?

Before scouring the Earth I figure somebody else has likely already found one. I typically carry my lenses in Neoprene wraps in a cluttered pile inside a much larger view camera case, but for shooting around home and out of the car, having a separate lens case would make more sense. All the better if I can buy something ready made that isn't necessarily a "photo" case.

Don't you have a Sinar blue case? The kind that suspends the camera from the monorail? If you set up the rail-holding partitions in the correct slots, Sinar boards will slip down into the grooves of the foam in the side compartments. This is quite secure and well-organized.

Wouldn't work for using Sinar-board lenses on a different type of camera, perhaps, but I think your Norma will fit in that case just fine. My F2 does.

Rick "amazed by what that case will hold" Denney

Frank Petronio
6-Sep-2012, 08:09
Actually the Norma does not fit into the F-era blue case very well and I flipped it in favor of the ATA-shippable $$$ Tenba - which can hold everything. But for shooting out of the car it's nice to have the lenses more readily accessible.

Daniel Stone
6-Sep-2012, 08:31
Not sure I'd classify it as a "car case", but I've found that using a # of smaller-sized camera cases can work quite well for keeping lenses safe in transit, or if you know you'll only need 1-2 lenses when shooting away from the car, you can carry a smaller case w/ those lenses(and maybe some holders too) in it when moving away from your wheeled carriage :

just an idea:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/pho/3158797979.html

-Dan

Struan Gray
6-Sep-2012, 08:47
The Norma 'Expert' case has slotted sections for storing lenses on Sinar boards. But it's big and ugly.

My local electronics hobby shops have any number of cases for DVDs and CDs which will take a Sinar board with little or no modification. If you want something better made, I'd second the idea of reel cases. They come in quite big sizes for Hemingway wannabees to keep their deep sea kit in.

Jeff Keller
6-Sep-2012, 11:53
LowePro used to make some rectangular bags called omni trekker. The middle sized one works very well for Canham lens boards. The largest one might work well for Sinar boards. The middle sized one is roughly the size of a briefcase, can hold a dozen or more canham board mounted lenses, is easy to work out of, and can even be carried more than a 100 yards from the car. They fit inside of Pelican hard cases. Several sold one's appear using the advanced ebay search, but nothing currently for sale.

Jeff Keller